Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Aeroflot +++ forum

Aeroflot +++ forum

Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:13 am

Lightbulb

This is a good suggestion. I wish other major airlines will be included here as well.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:15 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
S would "Airlines of Russia and the former USSR/Soviet Union" (pick one of those) be acceptable?
"Airlines of Russia and the former Soviet Union" would probably be the least bad option. There will always be some confusion regarding specific airlines, and IMO the Baltic airlines will probably continue to be discussed where most of their action is now, BT in the SAS forum etc.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
So are you all ok w/ "Airlines of Russia & the former Soviet Union" then?

Cheers.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
As nted here, I think simply, "Airlines of Russia" would be best. If the name does refer to any additional areas, they should be modern references, as to the CIS, and not the Soviet Union. The addition of the CIS to a brief description would be good, IMHO.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more

Cheers.
I think this had most "votes". Former Sovietunion is better than CIS, as CIS is much more limited.

If we can leave it upto the mods and users, OR simply add specifications in description, then Airlines of Russia sounds easy and good, even if we include the more modern CIS.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:00 pm

So, is it:

* Airlines of Russia, or
* Airlines of Russia & the former Soviet Union?

And what is the 'description' going to be if you want specifics there?

Please note I've only been to Russia once & not that up on the area/geography or the airlines.

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
My vote goes to the former ("Airlines of Russia"); if I have a right of say here
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
So, is it:

* Airlines of Russia, or
* Airlines of Russia & the former Soviet Union?

And what is the 'description' going to be if you want specifics there?

Please note I've only been to Russia once & not that up on the area/geography or the airlines.

Cheers.
The Soviet Union has nt existed in over 20 years. I can't see how that can be used in the name. The CIS certainly does exist, and IMHO covers the areas one would expect to be covered by this forum. I highly suspect that Ukraine and the Baltic states would not wish to be lumped in with Russia. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I would go with simply, "Airlines of Russia." As far as the description is concerned, how 'bout this:
"Aeroflot, S7, Transaero and other airlines based in Russia and the CIS."

Last edited by Xyzzy; Mar 8, 2012 at 1:46 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:29 pm

I would go with simply, "Airlines of Russia." As far as the description is concerned, how 'bout this:
"Aeroflot, S7, Transaero and other airlines based in Russia and the CIS."
Works for me. I'll wait until tomorrow to see if anyone else has any input.

Cheers.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:42 am

I disagree with calling it only the "Airlines of Russia" forum. Many of us who are based in this part of the world fly frequently between Russia and many of the other countries in the region, often using non-Russian airlines. I would like to ensure that AeroSvit, Air Astana, Azerbaijan Airlines, and other similar airlines are included.

And I am sure that people from other countries will have less of an issue being told "use the Airlines of Former Soviet Union (or even Airlines of the CIS) forum" than "use the Airlines of Russia forum".

As to whether CIS or "former Soviet Union" is more correct, there is no clear answer. While "CIS" is more current than "former Soviet Union", it excludes some countries and frankly the CIS is largely irrelevant to people. But it is a more accepted term in the corporate world.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lewinr
I disagree with calling it only the "Airlines of Russia" forum. Many of us who are based in this part of the world fly frequently between Russia and many of the other countries in the region, often using non-Russian airlines. I would like to ensure that AeroSvit, Air Astana, Azerbaijan Airlines, and other similar airlines are included.

And I am sure that people from other countries will have less of an issue being told "use the Airlines of Former Soviet Union (or even Airlines of the CIS) forum" than "use the Airlines of Russia forum".

As to whether CIS or "former Soviet Union" is more correct, there is no clear answer. While "CIS" is more current than "former Soviet Union", it excludes some countries and frankly the CIS is largely irrelevant to people. But it is a more accepted term in the corporate world.
IMO best summary so far. Airlines of Russia including former Sovietunion.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
"Airlines of Russia & the former Soviet Union"

I am happy to cast a vote in favour of
"Airlines of Russia & the former Soviet Union"
Old Mar 12, 2012, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lewinr
One could also argue that the Soviet Union is also largely irrelevant to peple by now. Which countries does the CIS moniker exclude that you feel should be included? Perhaps they should be included in the title or subtitle.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

One could also argue that the Soviet Union is also largely irrelevant to peple by now. Which countries does the CIS moniker exclude that you feel should be included? Perhaps they should be included in the title or subtitle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...pendent_States

Sovietunion is a static fact, while CIS is rather dynamic, leading to later changes. But by all means, CIS is more modern (but I dont think it is as clear to most as Sovietunion).

Then description should add; The Baltic states, Georgia, and also Ukraine and Turkmenistan as they are not full members anymore. Actually it would make sense to name all the 15 countries in the description if there is space.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelkid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...pendent_States

Sovietunion is a static fact, while CIS is rather dynamic, leading to later changes. But by all means, CIS is more modern (but I dont think it is as clear to most as Sovietunion).

Then description should add; The Baltic states, Georgia, and also Ukraine and Turkmenistan as they are not full members anymore. Actually it would make sense to name all the 15 countries in the description if there is space.
I think SkiAdcock would appreciate any proposal being fully spelled out, with title and sub-title. Do yu mean something like this?:
Airlines of Russia and the CIS
Aeroflot, Aerosvit, S7, Transaero and other airlines based in Russia, the Baltic states, Georgia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and the CIS.
I'll once again state that I believe the Baltic states, Georgia, and Ukraine at least are likely to be unhappy at being lumped in with Russia. I'm no expert in such matters, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.