Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: Sticky Thread in Europe Forum about the basics of planning a trip in Europe

Proposal: Sticky Thread in Europe Forum about the basics of planning a trip in Europe

Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver

I often visit the Europe Forum to help people coming to Europe and to give my advise when planing a trip through Europe. I have noticed that for some reason people want to squeeze whole Europe in a two to three week trip and ask the forum if this is possible. Often this is combined with the question if the chosen itinerary is family friend since small kids are on board.

The majority of answers fellow flyertalkers do give is to reduce the itinerary and give tips how to make most out of the trip by focusing on certain things.

Therefore I suggest to add a sticky thread in the Europe forum about some basics on how to plan a Europe vacation and how to avoid certain pitfalls.

Possible sections could be but not are limited to:

When to travel (differences between winter and summer tourism in Europe)
Where to go (west, south, middle, east and which combinations make sense)
How to travel (Car, plane, train)
A List with good threads about possible itineraries

Does this find acceptance with the community here?
Who would be interested in supporting me and helping me to create such a thread?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:06 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You may want to reach out to the moderators of that forum on your suggestion. Not really a TB issue.

Sounds like a great idea.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 1:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Could something like this fall under wikis that some Talk Board members have recently been talking about? Could it work in something like that? kokonutz had posted 2 weeks ago that forum wikis were being discussed in the private Talk Board forum and I know I've also seen jackal post on the topic.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wharvey
You may want to reach out to the moderators of that forum on your suggestion. Not really a TB issue.

Sounds like a great idea.
Agreed. I'd actually recommend maybe writing one or starting one & see how it develops & if there's good feedback, start the sticky.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by caspritz78
I often visit the Europe Forum to help people coming to Europe and to give my advise when planing a trip through Europe. I have noticed that for some reason people want to squeeze whole Europe in a two to three week trip and ask the forum if this is possible. Often this is combined with the question if the chosen itinerary is family friend since small kids are on board.

The majority of answers fellow flyertalkers do give is to reduce the itinerary and give tips how to make most out of the trip by focusing on certain things.

Therefore I suggest to add a sticky thread in the Europe forum about some basics on how to plan a Europe vacation and how to avoid certain pitfalls.

Possible sections could be but not are limited to:

When to travel (differences between winter and summer tourism in Europe)
Where to go (west, south, middle, east and which combinations make sense)
How to travel (Car, plane, train)
A List with good threads about possible itineraries

Does this find acceptance with the community here?
Who would be interested in supporting me and helping me to create such a thread?
Interesting that you bring this up. When I was in LA last week I was chatting with a FTer about something similar for the major cities that get a lot of questions & mentioned it to the Community Director. She asked me if I was thinking along the lines of something chexfan had created for Seattle.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...ors-guide.html

Which is what I was thinking of. Of course it also means finding someone who is enthusiastic enough to do something like that for dif cities, or in your case, region.

I noticed there's a sticky in the Europe forum called Europe forum directory, which is broken out by country (with some countries having detailed info & others with very little), as well as a section re: general questions re: Europe.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...directory.html

You might want to touch base with the mod of that forum re: your suggestion & where your input might fit into that, or if it needs its own sticky.

BTW - I agree with the others that your idea doesn't fall under TB per se, as mine didn't either, but I'd love for us to find some FTers knowledgable with certain cities/regions to create such a thing, such as chexfan's Seattle guide.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:06 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
And expanding upon what Sharon posted, I've just recently done a similar thing in the New England forum, so there might be some ideas there for you (or anyone else) to be able to use in the Europe forum.

I also know there's a good FAQ in the China forum, which is pretty much what I adapted for my own use in the New England forum.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by lo2e
I've just recently done a similar thing in the New England forum, so there might be some ideas there for you (or anyone else) to be able to use in the Europe forum.

I also know there's a good FAQ in the China forum, which is pretty much what I adapted for my own use in the New England forum.
What a fantastic job, lo2e! I stopped by for the first time since you and I chatted. I'm impressed by what you've pulled together in a short time. This is wonderful organization and makes information so much more accessible for members.

And I agree that the China Ambassadors have set a great example in that forum.

For those reading along, both the China ambassadors and lo2e came forward as volunteers then went on their own and did all the work. They are familiar with their respective forums and had a vision of what to do to make them more useable. Moderators "stuck" their FAQ threads but otherwise were not involved.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'm planning my first trip to Europe and would welcome any help I can get.. so this sticky would be a 100% benefit for me..
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Thanks for all you feedback. What I will do now:
  • is to contact the Europe Forum Moderator to discuss the matter
  • check out the other forums mentioned which have some kind of overview/FAQ already
  • depending on my time try to start somthing similiar at the Europe Forum

Due to work and other things I don't know how fast I can do it. It will probably take one or two months beforefor the first draft is ready and before I actually post something. So I hope to have something by end of March.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
  • check out the other forums mentioned which have some kind of overview/FAQ already

Due to work and other things I don't know how fast I can do it. It will probably take one or two months beforefor the first draft is ready and before I actually post something. So I hope to have something by end of March.
We appreciate your willingness to take this on, and of course it's going to take time & have to get worked around real life. So obviously no deadline. Just let us know when it's up or when you need input.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

Concur.. thanks for taking this on..

Greatly appreciate the many volunteers on this forum.. Volunteers are critical to righting the ship..
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Greatly appreciate the many volunteers on this forum.. Volunteers are critical to righting the ship..
I wasn't aware the ship needed righting.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052
I wasn't aware the ship needed righting.
TB is tasked to adopt policies that steer the ship. You should know as you've run for TB before..
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
TB is tasked to adopt policies that steer the ship.
Perhaps you hadn't read the part upthread where it was noted that this isn't really a TB issue but rather a forum organization matter.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052
Perhaps you hadn't read the part upthread where it was noted that this isn't really a TB issue but rather a forum organization matter.
Oops.. was thinking of another thread when posting..

The volunteers are critical to righting the ship.. volunteers include TB members, moderators, etc..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.