Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Forum suggestion: generic Loyalty Program forum

Forum suggestion: generic Loyalty Program forum

Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
I'm with Roger. Avios of whatever sort should be in the BA forum.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Prospero, I'm supportive of your idea, but could you expand further on this, which bhatnasx mentioned above?

"Would an Avios-specific (and maybe AirMiles-specific) forum be warranted under the Other Loyalty Programs forum? Or just a generic (only because now I'm envisioning discussion about Starbuck's loyatly program!) forum?"

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I guess the only thing about a generic loyalty program forum is that it'd have to be defined as primarily travel-oriented. When you think about it, Starbucks, PetSmart, drug stores, and most grocery stores have their own loyalty programs.

I don't think it's a big issue to create a loyalty program forum - but I guess the question is where to draw the line? And for what it's worth, when we did create the gaming loyalty forum, I was one of the first to support it - so I see the value.

Would an Avios-specific (and maybe AirMiles-specific) forum be warranted under the Other Loyalty Programs forum? Or just a generic (only because now I'm envisioning discussion about Starbuck's loyatly program!) forum?

No other TB members have expressed an opinion yet...but I can probably get behind this....
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the retail loyalty programmes you refer to.

I can tell you about Avios though
  • When you join you're issued with an Avios loyalty card. Using this card you can earn Avios Points through a variety of retail activity. At the moment, Avios retail partners are mainly online vendors but the aim is to branch out so members can collect points on the high street wherever they see the Avios logo. Much like Nectar members are used to today.
  • You can also earn Avios through flying Iberia and British Airways (without the requirement of enrolling in a FFP)
  • You can spend Avios on travel (IAG flights), hotel stays, car rental and red letter experiences.
  • You can also transfer points between your Avios account and BA Executive Club and Iberia Plus accounts.

As you can see, it is a proper pukka programme, just not a FFP.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
The issue with putting an Avios forum as a subforum of the BA forum is that it looks like Avios is just as closely tied to IB as it is to BA.

If working with subforums, perhaps an IAG forum with BA/IB/Avios subforums..?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Prospero
I can tell you about Avios though
[list][*]When you join you're issued with an Avios loyalty card ... [snip]
Er, yes, but that's just a part of it.

It's also the currency of the BA and IB FFPs, so there are 3 schemes earning Avios, and Avios are interchangeable across the 3 schemes.
As you can see, it is a proper pukka programme, just not a FFP.
Up to a point. You can earn Avios in any of the 3 schemes by flying BA or IB, and the former Air Miles UK (from which avios.com sprang) was BA's FFP before BA Miles were spun out.

And the 'loyalty' card you mention is a membership card, just like the loyalty cards issued by BA and IB which can be presented to hotels, car rental companies and so on for loyalty credit.

So not so clear cut as you suggest, then.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA ExP
I stumbled upon this thread via Google as I was trying to discover if IberiaPlus Avios and BAEC Avios are interchangeable since the Avios change. This thread answers my question thoroughly: they are.

Also, the answer to the question of forum categorization seems totally obvious and non-controversial to me: Combine the BAEC and IB forums into a single Avios forum.

That's the way it is with FlyingBlue (KL, AF) and LH group's M&M (LH, LX, SN, etc). Why shouldn't it be so with IAG? The airlines are owned by the same group and they have a common mileage currency.

It's irrelevant that Avios can be earned with shopping or used for shopping. Most FFPs allow that. It should also be irrelevant (or actually, should militate in favor of combination) that there are complicated rules (two different FFP schemes) for earning/burning. (That way comparison and contrast can be in one place rather than trying to locate unique or duplicated info across two forums. There should be one place that says, use IB Avios to earn on this flight but use BAEC Avios to earn on that flight and always redeem Eurostar from BA Avios.)

My two cents. I'm not very experienced in the Avios program and I'm basing my opinion on what I've learned in this thread. FWIW.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.