Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
My belief in creating a games forum is waning. I think that games, should it come to pass, should count like everything else on FT. I'm with the post equality folks.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:29 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
My belief in creating a games forum is waning. I think that games, should it come to pass, should count like everything else on FT. I'm with the post equality folks.
Emphasis added:

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Under normal circumstances I would agree that all posts should count.. except we have a history of it being abused, which is why they stopped counting

...the big issue, for me here is the post padding counting games.. and I'll only say that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I think this has been mentioned a number of times. It's not technically feasible and, furthermore, I wouldn't vote for it. Not sure 6 people currently on TB would, actually.
Since I suggested two post counts to satisfy the Omni crowd, and that TB has passed a motion to count all posts.. then the suggestion of having two post counts would be a step back now..

Congratulations for a gutsy approval counting all posts on the post count..
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm all for removing posts counts entirely, as well as post count related titles. Perhaps then we wouldn't have these issues.
^^
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Yes. Exclude games posts from the post count.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wharvey
If OMNI and OMNI PR posts are going to count, then I believe OMNI Games posts should count. I support the creation of a Games forum... but I am not for going down the inconsistency road again.
I support the above message.

Some OMNI games might actually be community-builders. And, jointly or severally, there is also the matter of games being played in Lounge threads. So discount those posts from counting too?

Then I apologize.

I agree with you except for this single issue. Had you lived through it, and saw what a status happy community could do, then you might understand.

I'm all for removing posts counts entirely, as well as post count related titles. Perhaps then we wouldn't have these issues.
Now, now. After lobbying for the inclusion of OMNI posts in FTer's post counts this month and even before, I just can't see switching to the position of: "I'm all for removing posts counts entirely, as well as post count related titles."

It's times like this that I am amused by the games that get played on the FT TB forum.

I really don't mind if someone wants to post 1-100,000+ times in an OMNI Games forum/thread -- it's no skin off my back. And yes, I'm aware of history still.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 20, 2012 at 5:53 am
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The issue was of consistency for me. However, as I posted many times, I'd be ok with non-counting of all posts, non-counting of games posts (for historical reasons), or considering those games post padding and simply not allowing them.

For years and years Omni had ONE game.... WWBTNPTP... and that one actually had discussion in it and I considered that no different than a lounge thread that everyone says builds community in the M&P forums.

However, like with reputation, and a few other "features" we had, a small minority ruined it for everyone else. Before Aug 2008 everything counted. We didn't have pages and pages and pages of people saying this is a travel board any only travel posts should count.

I really would like to see a little more discipline applied to what is considered contributing to this community. Counting by yourself, with no other posters joining in, does not do that.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so people have 2 weeks to spam game threads for post count?

what happens if games forum doesnt pass? there were no contingent votes?

Before Aug 2008 everything counted.
thanks for reference point.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:18 pm

I suspect that nothing will happen in Omni in that 2 week period. Becuase some of them full-well know that they may be watched.

If posts count without a segregation of games that don't count, I suspect we'll see the same thing again - the front page covered with counting games. That's why I keep saying the mods should just consider them post padding and not allow them at all.

FT-Life would be so much eaiser then
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

For years and years Omni had ONE game.... WWBTNPTP... and that one actually had discussion in it and I considered that no different than a lounge thread that everyone says builds community in the M&P forums.
As the creator of the Who Will Be The Next FlyerTalk Member To Post? An OMNI Game thread, I thought that game would last for a few months at most when the game was first created on Saturday, July 26, 2003 — and then die off a slow, peaceful death, only to be forgotten forever.

Silly me.

I suppose that you are correct that game became a pre-cursor to the controversial Lounge thread concept.

For what it is worth, I honestly do not care whether or not content from a proposed Games forum in OMNI would count towards one’s “post count”, even if the Who Will Be The Next FlyerTalk Member To Post? An OMNI Game thread were moved into the proposed Games forum, which I fully expect would happen.

It does not make any difference to me. Really.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:43 pm

That's because it truly was and is a community building thread that attracts people from all over FT.

IIRC, when I asked one of the seriel counters to please stop, he responded with his goal of becoming an evangelist - and even then, he didn't stop. I don't believe your game thread ever had that much impact on anyone. I think I even posted once or twice, for no other reason, than to mess up your counts and points

I find most of the talk about the purity of the count reflecting on M&P knowledge almost laughable, considering all the opportunities to post pad in the contests, lounges, and the counting games when Omni counted.. That horse left the barn a long time ago, and it would take one heck of a a cleanup job to purify the counts.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
As one who posts in the game thread I'm somewhat against this motion. I and others have posts after posts in the counting threads. Those posts came after Omni stopped counting.. I suggest shelving this for the time being and see how omni is once the posts starts counting. If posters that never posted in the game threads come in and started spamming or start creating new threads then I think the mods should step in and kick them out of Omni.

Lets those who post in Omni continue to post and let the mods make the decision if Omni has gotten out of hand.. Let them call the shot and say moderating has become a nightmare and they believe a new forum for the games is in order.

I suggest this proposal be amended to say if passed the TB holds of on the implementation of a new games forum to allow Omni moderators a trial period to see if Omni can continue with the game threads as is, and if it can't be controlled, under the consultation of Omni moderators the TB recommends a new forum for games?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I think I even posted once or twice, for no other reason, than to mess up your counts and points
You are invited to do just that on a more frequent basis.

That is what makes that game more fun...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:44 pm

OK... I'll barge in more often

As well, THIS was the original purpose of Omni - to gather people from all of FT to have some fun and why I feel the lounge threads outside of Omni fracture the community rather than build it. I've made a few good friends I never would have if Omni did not exist. But we've been down that road before
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie
As the creator of the Who Will Be The Next FlyerTalk Member To Post? An OMNI Game thread, I thought that game would last for a few months at most when the game was first created on Saturday, July 26, 2003 — and then die off a slow, peaceful death, only to be forgotten forever.

Silly me.

I suppose that you are correct that game became a pre-cursor to the controversial Lounge thread concept.

For what it is worth, I honestly do not care whether or not content from a proposed Games forum in OMNI would count towards one’s “post count”, even if the Who Will Be The Next FlyerTalk Member To Post? An OMNI Game thread were moved into the proposed Games forum, which I fully expect would happen.

It does not make any difference to me. Really.
well, this thread is not a game. It's a conversation about OMNI topics

otherwise I am all for 'not counting'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.