Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum

Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum

Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:30 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
If OMNI and OMNI PR posts are going to count, then I believe OMNI Games posts should count. I support the creation of a Games forum... but I am not for going down the inconsistency road again.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by wharvey
If OMNI and OMNI PR posts are going to count, then I believe OMNI Games posts should count. I support the creation of a Games forum... but I am not for going down the inconsistency road again.
^^^
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I voted immediately to establish a Games subforum but am wavering on the posts counting or not counting. Usually I have my mind made up on issues but this one I'm up in the air on.

I'm going to watch this thread for commentary before I vote. But I wish the big-time OMNI gamers would weigh-in here too.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
The game posts should be counted. That way, everybody can get to be a FlyerTalk Legend in less than a week and it will become even more meaningless than it is now.

The next step, hopefully, would be to get rid of the titles.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dovster
The next step, hopefully, would be to get rid of the titles.
Are you kidding me??

I've got more titles under my handle than a third world dictator.

I like it that way. I'm a collector of things regardless of their value.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Cholula
I'm a collector of things regardless of their value.
Post padding is a form of hoarding? Hmmm... could be...

Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
In talkboard debate during the last election, I brought up the idea of having seperate counts for miles and points, and for Omni..

Since the two forums are different, two different post counts could serve the purpose, but keep the two distinctive..
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:17 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Dovster
The game posts should be counted. That way, everybody can get to be a FlyerTalk Legend in less than a week and it will become even more meaningless than it is now.
Think we can get Talk Board to take a new vote and open OMNI Games up to everyone? That would mean even more counting of numbers. Right now the pool of players is limited because you need the 180/180. Tens of thousands of potential number counting FTers are excluded.

I remember how OMNI was when these number counting games in particular occupied the front page. FTers with consumer, legal or household issues were relegated to the second page so the gamers could keep on counting. I'll be glad to have these in a forum of their own, particulaly if OMNI posts start crediting to overall post count again, as I expect they will once the wayward Talk Board members show up to vote.

I don't see how counting numbers contributes a thing to the Community and don't see why they should count. Can one of the number counters explain why post credit for counting numbers should count?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:02 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
I don't see how counting numbers contributes a thing to the Community and don't see why they should count. Can one of the number counters explain why post credit for counting numbers should count?
While I don't care much on whether posts in the games forum will count or not, I will say that I made more FT acquaintances and friends from the "Count down" thread than I have made from the rest of FT. I talked with FTers from forums I don't frequent and it even prompted me to add a couple more forums to my subscribed list.

So I would have to disagree with your assertion that games don't or can't help build the community.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Consistency, Hello?

Originally Posted by wharvey
The consistency argument is all about a post is a post is a post. Could it be that consistency is never the root cause for all the never-ending debates/discussion/motions about (re)counting OMNI posts?

When not counting OMNI, the pro camp puts the redhair-stepchild card on the table. What about if counting OMNI and having an OMNI spinoff, aka OMNI Game Forum, then supporting a not-counting-Game-Forum motion? Is the hair of Game Forum redder than the "original" redhair stepchild? Would sibling rivalry be a right term to describe this "dynamic?"

When is a post not a post? Who gets to decide? What value should FT assign to post counts, really? I thought there was a saying in English that you can't have the cake and eat it too.

All I can say is feeding medicine with misdiagnoses and/or wrong diagnoses can never be the cure.

Disclaimer:
1. I hate it so very much when OMNI was flooded with all the mushroomed counting games threads.

2. I am not a participant of OMNI games except for the Cities Name Game.

3. I post in OMNI, even though not prolifically, and I am against counting OMNI. Counting or not, my posting pattern in OMNI hasn't changed. I posted in OMNI when it's counting and I didn't/don't stop posting when not counting.

4. I do lounge/contest threads in CommunityBuzz! Forum. As a matter of fact, I earned my job title (see my signature) while engaging in those contest threads. The lounge thread that I participated is the Community Lounge and I don't care if those posts are deducted from my total post count. Seriously. I don't think my posts in those threads are any less valued if they don't count. Really!

5. I stop participating in said lounge thread ( & I am not the only one) when the OMNI counting crew started bashing our m/a/e dynamic and even throwing in moderation issues to spice things up, without distinguishing post padders from lounge thread enthusiasts, while argument should have been made about forum-wise rules (i.e. a counting forum or not) and/or software limitation (can't not counting a thread within a counting forum). IMHO, that (faulty) line of argument has cost the broader FT community spirit, in the name of counting OMNI.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
No digging required. I was reading through that thread and saw your post and noticed you had changed your opinion back and forth a couple times. That's certainly your prerogative.

I come to FT to learn about Miles and Points and Travel. OMNI does not interest me.

After we've gone through the whole discussion and exercise of deciding that all posts are equal, it's pretty silly that the next vote is whether or not posts should be treated differently.

"All posts are equal, but some posts are more equal than others."
Under normal circumstances I would agree that all posts should count.. except we have a history of it being abused, which is why they stopped counting - and there's plenty of off-topic posts in the M&P forums, notably, some lounge threads, and the contests in community. You seem to consistently forget about those off-topic items, yet seem to have a real bee-in-your-bonnet about Omni, which is actually useful to this community when people have a question or need help.

But the big issue, for me here is the post padding counting games.. and I'll only say that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by lin821
5. I stop participating in said lounge thread ( & I am not the only one) when the OMNI counting crew started bashing our m/a/e dynamic and even throwing in moderation issues to spice things up, without distinguishing post padders from lounge thread enthusiasts, while argument should have been made about forum-wise rules (i.e. a counting forum or not) and/or software limitation (can't not counting a thread within a counting forum). IMHO, that (faulty) line of argument has cost the broader FT community spirit, in the name of counting OMNI. [/SIZE]
It was NOT bashing.

Lounge threads, along with others, were used as examples of off-topic posts counting yet the real off-topic area did not.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Under normal circumstances I would agree that all posts should count.. except we have a history of it being abused, which is why they stopped counting - and there's plenty of off-topic posts in the M&P forums, notably, some lounge threads, and the contests in community. You seem to consistently forget about those off-topic items, yet seem to have a real bee-in-your-bonnet about Omni, which is actually useful to this community when people have a question or need help.

But the big issue, for me here is the post padding counting games.. and I'll only say that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.
Please stop ascribing views to me that are not my own. If you look at my post history, I was one of the first to suggest moving lounge threads to their own sub-forum in OMNI, as well as stop counting posts in all the non-travel related forums. I have been nothing but consistent in my views.

BUT...now that the TB has decided that every post should count, regardless of relation to the FT mission, I believe that its counter productive to start adding in caveats, just days after that decision was made and before the virtual "ink" is even dry on the vote.

As for whether game threads are "useful" for the community or not, I believe that's in the eye of the beholder, and I'm certain most posters, especially you, would not be keen on having other people judge the worthiness of your posts.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:49 am

Then I apologize.

I agree with you except for this single issue. Had you lived through it, and saw what a status happy community could do, then you might understand.

I'm all for removing posts counts entirely, as well as post count related titles. Perhaps then we wouldn't have these issues.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
In talkboard debate during the last election, I brought up the idea of having seperate counts for miles and points, and for Omni..

Since the two forums are different, two different post counts could serve the purpose, but keep the two distinctive..
I think this has been mentioned a number of times. It's not technically feasible and, furthermore, I wouldn't vote for it. Not sure 6 people currently on TB would, actually.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.