Should the TalkBoard votes be held in public?

Subscribe
Currently the TalkBoard votes on motions using FT's poll feature in the private TB forum.

Here is what it looks like:

While a vote is live, as TB members vote, we can see in real time the numbers go up. By clicking on the number (9 under yes in this case), we can see which TB members voted Yes, No or Abstain both while the vote is underway and when it is complete.

I think that it would make sense to do TB voting in this forum instead of the private forum. That way all posters could see, in real time, how their TB members are voting during the 2 week voting period.

It would also let posters know in real time when a decision has been made by the TB (because a motion gets 6 for or 4 against). This would avoid having posters waste their time by debating an issue that has been settled but not yet announced

It will also allow posters to know whether their TB members typically vote right away, wait until the end of the voting period to vote or whatever.

Basically, it's greater transparency to the real-time voting by the TB.

I asked Carol and IB:

Quote: wharvey had an excellent suggestion in the public TB forum:

imho, this is a brilliant suggestion.

So my question for Carol and the IB folks is:

Is it technically feasible to

- hold a poll in the public TB forum that only TB members can vote on?

- hold a poll in the TB Town Hall forum that only TB members can vote on (by giving us edit authority but all others read-only access or something?)?

- hold a poll in a new TB votes sub-forum that only TB members can vote on but that all posters can see?
The answer was Yes.... Yes.... And Yes.

Apparently there isn't a problem with only letting certain usergroups vote and letting other usergroups view the polls. The tricky part would be allowing users to see who voted for what.

So it might be that posters could only view the numbers and not click on the numbers to get the names of who voted how while voting was in progress.

Anyway, I'm thinking it'd be great to give all posters real-time access to this information.

But I'd love input from posters and other TB members, both current and former!
I would support this idea. I'm all for efficiency, so identifying when a measure has passed or been defeated would be a big time savings in terms of ongoing debate.
I'm all for it, as it gives "instant" gratification, in that everyone could see the vote, rather than waiting until the end of the voting period or until everyone on TB has voted to see the results. If everyone could see who has and has not voted, members would be able to determine if there are TB members who routinely wait until the very end of voting to cast their ballot, either in an attempt to block a measure as long as possible, because they enjoy making everyone wait, or because they want to wait until everyone was able to "have a say" in the comments welcome thread. It would allow those who are passionate about an issue to know when the debate effectively becomes useless.
^ I like the idea and think it would be a very nice step toward transparency between the TB and the general FT membership. ^
After much thought, I'm convinced. I'd support this as well.

(Proactive strike here: And for anyone who thinks any of koko's post violates either the TOS or TB Guidelines, I completely and vehemently disagree.)
Quote:
(Proactive strike here: And for anyone who thinks any of koko's post violates either the TOS or TB Guidelines, I completely and vehemently disagree.)
lol, I suspect some may be setting up a pyre anyway...

But seriously, I am curious to hear some potential down-sides to this proposal. I'm having a hard time coming up with any myself.

It works well for the US Congress, after all....

(and yes, that example was purposefully chosen! )
Opposed. This could incentivize late voters to vote along with the majority if a vote has already been decided. I want to know that a TB's vote represents their own feelings, and not a fear that they will appear to be the odd man out on a vote.
Quote: lol, I suspect some may be setting up a pyre anyway...

But seriously, I am curious to hear some potential down-sides to this proposal. I'm having a hard time coming up with any myself.

Bravo!

(Although in a football game I would have to issue a 15-yard penalty for taunting.)
Quote: Opposed. This could incentivize late voters to vote along with the majority if a vote has already been decided. I want to know that a TB's vote represents their own feelings, and not a fear that they will appear to be the odd man out on a vote.
But that can happen when the voting is done in the private forum too. The vote results and roll call are announced after 2 weeks or all TB members vote. So if I am a late voter in the private forum, I might vote yes just to not appear to be the odd man out once the results are posted.

So the only difference is, if a TB member voted late you could watch it happen live and draw your own conclusion from that. It's more information for posters.
Quote: But that can happen when the voting is done in the private forum too. The vote results and roll call are announced after 2 weeks or all TB members vote. So if I am a late voter in the private forum, I might vote yes just to not appear to be the odd man out once the results are posted.

So the only difference is, if a TB member voted late you could watch it happen live and draw your own conclusion from that. It's more information for posters.
Voting time or order are not revealed currently. TB members should not be judged on when they vote, as long as they vote within the required time period. This isn't a race.
I think it would be a good idea.
I have to ask, how does it work? IF you put the poll in an open forum, wouldn't anyone reading the forum be able to vote? Does the software allow the polls open to certain people? That makes sense as to why its in the private tb forum, so only the TB can see it..

If the software allows for polls to be placed anywhere and only a certain few can access it, then I'm for the openness of the talk board.
Quote: lol, I suspect some may be setting up a pyre anyway...

While your example is good, I see two issues with it.....
  1. This shows simply a yes or no vote and the house member names are not used nor not made public until either the vote is final or a roll call vote is needed
  2. The discussion period has been closed and then the voting is being done as opposed to here where the discussion is still going on while the vote is happeneing

For F/t, I'd like to see the discussion period closed, then have the voting period start with the results shown in real time (and if possible, simply a yes/no/abstain without names until the vote is final/voting period has ended)
Quote: While your example is good, I see two issues with it.....
  1. This shows simply a yes or no vote and the house member names are not used nor not made public until either the vote is final or a roll call vote is needed
  2. The discussion period has been closed and then the voting is being done as opposed to here where the discussion is still going on while the vote is happeneing

For F/t, I'd like to see the discussion period closed, then have the voting period start with the results shown in real time (and if possible, simply a yes/no/abstain without names until the vote is final/voting period has ended)
Me too, but if that isn't possible, I prefer koko's approach to the status quo.
Quote: After much thought, I'm convinced. I'd support this as well.

Of course it does. No question.

I'm more concerned though that he hasn't bothered to turn off the facebook linking yet...

I can't see any downside to this, and I can see some upsides.