Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should the TalkBoard votes be held in public?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should the TalkBoard votes be held in public?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:46 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
- Seeing votes tallied live

- Seeing who votes how live

- Both

- Neither, keeping the votes and roll call secret until voting ends (either after 2 weeks or after all 9 TB members vote, whichever comes first).

- Something else?
Personally, I agree with RichMSN, the best alternative is probably to have no votes seeable by anyone (TB members or general FT membership.) But if that isn't possible (i.e. TB members will continue to see ongoing voting results), then the 2nd best alternative is for everyone to see the ongoing voting results (both TB members and the general FT membership.)
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Personally, I agree with RichMSN, the best alternative is probably to have no votes seeable by anyone (TB members or general FT membership.) But if that isn't possible (i.e. TB members will continue to see ongoing voting results), then the 2nd best alternative is for everyone to see the ongoing voting results (both TB members and the general FT membership.)
Again, I was stunned when I went in and saw who's voted and who's not voted. Problem is that we need a mechanism that divulges the vote after it's completed and I'm not sure vBulletin provides for that. I suppose we could go off FT to conduct the vote, maybe via SurveyMonkey or the like, but I'm not sure how much of an administrative nightmare that would be.

It makes for an interesting dynamic when a slam-dunk motion sits for 14 straight days because one TB member chooses not to vote until the last minute (or vote at all) and members continue to lobby for the motion. Even though the motion is, well, decided.

It's really not fair to that member that all of TB knows who that member is. If we could fix that and make it so nobody knows anything until the vote is completed, I'd actually be much happier.

Using the analogy of the US Congress voting, I'd be happy to have a debate period followed by a voting period as long as *all* debate on the motion ceased once we started voting and we handled all of this in a timely fashion. Personally, I think 5 days for debate and 5 days for voting is enough -- we cut 4 days off the whole process and still give people enough time to comment and enough time for TB to vote (considering that TB members will know well in advance the voting period).
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:20 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by goalie
If we could fix that and make it so nobody knows anything until the vote is completed, I'd actually be much happier.
Votes could be set up as secret ballot, as is done for internal election of TalkBoard officers. That would make the TB less effective, IMHO.

One time about a year ago a vote was accidentally set up as secret ballot. The issue was non-controversial, but 3 members ended up missing the vote. Which reminds me of the other problem: TB Guidelines for participation require a count of consecutive missed votes. You can't accomplish that with secret ballots, since there's no way to tell who didn't vote.

We need to be careful about changing established and working systems.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nsx
Votes could be set up as secret ballot, as is done for internal election of TalkBoard officers. That would make the TB less effective, IMHO.

One time about a year ago a vote was accidentally set up as secret ballot. The issue was non-controversial, but 3 members ended up missing the vote. Which reminds me of the other problem: TB Guidelines for participation require a count of consecutive missed votes. You can't accomplish that with secret ballots, since there's no way to tell who didn't vote.

We need to be careful about changing established and working systems.
Perhaps, at a minimum, the TB VP could, once a day, post an update of voting on the comments thread? That wouldn't be perfect, and isn't really what I think should happen, but if due to software limitations, it would require maintaining the status quo, conducting votes off-site, or keeping everything hidden until the last vote is cast, perhaps the TB VP option is a decent stop-gap. It doesn't change too much.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
As I stated in the other thread that Rich started re: the topic, I think this is a problem in search of a solution & really getting into micro-managing the voting process.

The voting process is votes are open for 2 weeks or until all TB members have voted. This allows time for FTers to provide their input on what's being voted on, provides an opportunity for TB members to consider the input, do their own homework, and it also allocates some time for those who might be traveling and/or offline who might not be able to vote if the vote timeframe was shortened.

Sometimes votes end sooner; sometimes they go the full two weeks. Sometimes the motion will pass or fail based on numbers before all have voted, but to say that FTers should still not be allowed to provide input does a disservice to both those FTers and to those TB members who haven't decided & want to vote what they think is right, based on FT input, their homework and their judgment.

The FT world will NOT fall apart if a vote occasionally goes the full 2 weeks & FTers have to wait a few days to find out if the motion passed/didn't pass, and who voted which way.

I'd rather we focussed on other things that impacts FTers, their overall experience with FT, and ways to enhance the experience or provide areas that would be of interest to those with travel interests who come to FT.

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:03 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
As I stated in the other thread that Rich started re: the topic, I think this is a problem in search of a solution & really getting into micro-managing the voting process.

The voting process is votes are open for 2 weeks or until all TB members have voted. This allows time for FTers to provide their input on what's being voted on, provides an opportunity for TB members to consider the input, do their own homework, and it also allocates some time for those who might be traveling and/or offline who might not be able to vote if the vote timeframe was shortened.

Sometimes votes end sooner; sometimes they go the full two weeks. Sometimes the motion will pass or fail based on numbers before all have voted, but to say that FTers should still not be allowed to provide input does a disservice to both those FTers and to those TB members who haven't decided & want to vote what they think is right, based on FT input, their homework and their judgment.

The FT world will NOT fall apart if a vote occasionally goes the full 2 weeks & FTers have to wait a few days to find out if the motion passed/didn't pass, and who voted which way.

I'd rather we focussed on other things that impacts FTers, their overall experience with FT, and ways to enhance the experience or provide areas that would be of interest to those with travel interests who come to FT.

Cheers.
That's a fair point. My counter-point is that when TB started it operated under a completely opaque process. Since then the TB has incrementally opened up its process to posters so they can see what it does and how.

This proposal continues that imho very positive trend of increased transparency making TB members more and more accountable to the posters.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Concur. TB motions while important are not so time sensitive that the general membership cannot withstand a 14-day voting interval. Approved proposals are, after all, only recommendations to a final arbiter, not emergency injunctions.

Don't take that to mean I'm against transparency, however. In principle I'm not. If the technical limitations to showing real time vote tallies can be overcome, great. It doesn't seem a pressing issue though.

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lo2e
Jen, I've had high regard for a lot of things that you've posted over the years, and while I don't always agree, I've respected your opinion.

That said, if Spiff or anyone else (including you) had a problem with what was posted in post #1 of this thread, then the procedure is to do what any other FT member would do and hit the red triangle to report it or PM the proper authorities. It would then be Carol's or Craig's job to determine whether there was a breach of the TB rules and take care of it. I appreciate that you think you are trying to be the TB police here, but even though you are a moderator, you are not in charge of this forum or any other except for CBuzz and Virgin.

And yes, I would admit that RichMSN was the first to mention it, so you felt compelled to respond. But you of all people should know what the protocol is to report things that you don't think are right. Airing them out in the open as you have is NOT the way to do it.
An excellent post !
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wharvey
I have to say I love this suggestion... a brilliant sugguestion made by that wharvey guy....

Seriously, I believe this allows more transparency... and provides us general members more information on how we are being represented.
I too favor this suggestion. I see no strong argument against it.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by essxjay
Concur. TB motions while important are not so time sensitive that the general membership cannot withstand a 14-day voting interval. Approved proposals are, after all, only recommendations to a final arbiter, not emergency injunctions.

Don't take that to mean I'm against transparency, however. In principle I'm not. If the technical limitations to showing real time vote tallies can be overcome, great. It doesn't seem a pressing issue though.
Agree.

I respect the desire behind this proposal, but "offline" (used in the sense of "non-real-time") discussion fora such as this need to be treated differently than "online" (used in the sense of "real-time") meetings.

In an environment where many members are traveling or otherwise unable to access FlyerTalk constantly, holding people to a standard of "online" vote tallying is not positive. The TalkBoard has an established voting timeframe that was set in order to give members the ability to complete their work in the midst of often busy real-life schedules or lack of Internet access while traveling. Why shouldn't that be honored?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Originally Posted by jackal
Agree.

I respect the desire behind this proposal, but "offline" (used in the sense of "non-real-time") discussion fora such as this need to be treated differently than "online" (used in the sense of "real-time") meetings.

In an environment where many members are traveling or otherwise unable to access FlyerTalk constantly, holding people to a standard of "online" vote tallying is not positive. The TalkBoard has an established voting timeframe that was set in order to give members the ability to complete their work in the midst of often busy real-life schedules or lack of Internet access while traveling. Why shouldn't that be honored?
If it can be set up to allow the TB members to vote in an open forum by masking who has voted yes or no while keeping with 2 weeks voting process, is something I would go for. Plus allowing it open for the two week would give those TB members who are traveling the opportunity to vote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.