Wiki Posts
Search

Please help the TalkBoard describe a Games forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Is anyone else incredulous that TB, in the midst of voting for a measure that would make all posts count, is considering bringing forward a measure that would again create a subset of posts that would not count?
Sometimes you have to compromise. I'd rather have OMNI and OMNI/PR posts count save game thread posts than none of them.

And incredulous is too strong a word regardless. IJAFIBB, after all.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by RichMSN

And incredulous is too strong a word regardless. IJAFIBB, after all.
Ha. But this is FT, where not getting your first choice of meals is described as "a new low" and a "hellish experience."
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:24 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Ha. But this is FT, where not getting your first choice of meals is described as "a new low" and a "hellish experience."
Exactly. FTers love to dramatize. To outsiders we appear to be a pack of whiners. Objectively, we are. This is closely coupled with our obsession with wringing the last drop of value out of FF programs.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:24 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I agree... that is why I prefer to just let members do the extra little search if they really want to know how many posts are OMNI related. You really have to do that now anyway.... since some OMNI posts have counted and others have not.

As long as we can have it also say "Lounge Posts: xxxx, Contest Posts: xxxx, etc." Quite frankly, it's unworkable -- to me counting everything means counting everything within one count.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nsx
Counting OMNI posts is a benefit to posters who care about their count. IMO it's OK to count those posts because OMNI posts are often valued by readers.

However game thread posts have zero value to readers. Therefore the argument for counting those posts is completely one-sided and falls short.

Counting games posts will, I believe, cause a posting rush in game threads. This will unnecessarily degrade any remaining value to readers of the post count metric. We should prevent that.

As I said in the OP, I'd like to save the pros and cons discussion for the debate thread once the proposal goes live. For today I just want to get the wording right.
I'd wager that there are some game threads that those participating would argue build community as well. Take a look at the latest "Who Will Be The Next FlyerTalk Member to Post? An OMNI Game," thread. It's a game thread, so it would fall into the new games forum, but there is discussion of hotels and such. Likewise, IMO, it's helping to build community, with the discussions in addition to the game.
Originally Posted by wharvey
Considering that any member can do a quick search for how many posts members make in any forum, I do not buy the "degrading post count metric" argument.

There are many forums that hold zero value to me as a reader... but I do not argue they should not count...

Just count everything and let members do their research if the post counts mean something to them.

Or better yet, why not ask IB if it is feasible to expand the "Posts: xx,xxx" to add an "OMNI Posts: xxxx" or something like that?
I agree with just counting everything.
As long as we can have it also say "Lounge Posts: xxxx, Contest Posts: xxxx, etc." Quite frankly, it's unworkable -- to me counting everything means counting everything within one count.
^ This makes sense.
Is anyone else incredulous that TB, in the midst of voting for a measure that would make all posts count, is considering bringing forward a measure that would again create a subset of posts that would not count?
I'm very confused as to why they would do this. I could buy splitting OMNI games into its own forum as a compromise to counting all posts again. However, I don't get why they would then not count posts in that forum.

If the concern is that the game threads will clutter up OMNI, then fine, move them to their own forum. I would like to wait and see if there was a need to do this, but if it's a huge concern, then fine, split it before looking to see if there really is a need for it. However, why immediately go back to not counting posts in a forum?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I don't honestly think that the folks....however many of them there are....who play the current Game threads actually care if their posts count in those threads. None have ever come forward in either this thread or to me, as an OMNI mod, via PM to make their case.

But it seems that the folks, with some prominent exceptions, who HAVE spoken up here and elsewhere seem to view the Game threads as useless and off-topic for FT.

I'm not a hardliner on this issue in either direction so splitting out a separate Games Forum and having those posts not count would seem to please the majority who have made their opinions known.

And you know what? If it turns out that we eventually agree that all OMNI posts should count regardless of the sub forum, we can vote again and the CD can simply flip a switch and the problem is fixed.

Nothing is carved in stone around here. Except a pledge to maximize our mile and points.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cholula

But it seems that the folks, with some prominent exceptions, who HAVE spoken up here and elsewhere seem to view the Game threads as useless and off-topic for FT.

I'm not a hardliner on this issue in either direction so splitting out a separate Games Forum and having those posts not count would seem to please the majority who have made their opinions known.
The majority have made their opinions known that they do not want any OMNI posts to count. I hope you have voted accordingly on that measure.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The majority have made their opinions known that they do not want any OMNI posts to count. I hope you have voted accordingly on that measure.
So our vote should be cast based on the feelings of 70 or so people who have bothered to post on this thread? You'll understand why I don't find that argument particularly compelling.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:30 am
Suspended

So our vote should be cast based on the feelings of 70 or so people who have bothered to post on this thread? You'll understand why I don't find that argument particularly compelling.
Your fellow TB member seems to think that way. Although I know everyone has their own opinions.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nsx
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments. Here is a draft proposal in two parts:

Vote 1:
The TalkBoard recommends creation of a Games forum under the OMNI category, to be used for the following types of threads:
1. Counting games
2. Contests
3. Threads where the content of a post is related to the time of day, the content of the previous post
4. Threads that have in the moderators' judgment become games.
The TalkBoard does not consider Lounge threads to be Game threads.
Vote 2:
If the Community Director creates a Games forum, the TalkBoard recommends that posts made in the Games forum be excluded from a member's post count.

Looks good but two questions.....

Regarding item number 3

Threads where the content of a post is related to the time of day, the content of the previous post
Are we limiting it to only those items or should something like "and similar post contents" be included or does item #4 cover that?

As to the two votes, I take it that these are two separate votes with the second being contingent on the first vote passing

Oops-actually 3 questions.....

Regarding point 4

While TB does not consider Lounge threads to be game threads, what if a Moderator thinks the opposite and moves the thread or will they not be moving lounge threads?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by goalie
While TB does not consider Lounge threads to be game threads, what if a Moderator thinks the opposite and moves the thread or will they not be moving lounge threads?
I can't speak for other mods but the Lounge threads were originally developed to provide like-minded members...DL Flyers, Starwood devotees, etc....a thread to build community and to make comments that would otherwise be off-topic in most of the Forum's threads.

I don't think you'll be seeing many moderators move their Lounge threads to the OMNI Games subforum should one be developed. They've had the option to move those Lounge thread to OMNI for years and nobody has thus far. I think most mods enjoy or at least tolerate their Lounge threads and appreciate the fact that it helps keep the rest of the forum more or less on-topic.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by nsx
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments. Here is a draft proposal in two parts:

Vote 1:
The TalkBoard recommends creation of a Games forum under the OMNI category, to be used for the following types of threads:
1. Counting games
2. Contests
3. Threads where the content of a post is related to the time of day, the content of the previous post
Vote 2:
If the Community Director creates a Games forum, the TalkBoard recommends that posts made in the Games forum be excluded from a member's post count.
I like the idea of a games thread. Ever since the OMNI post count motion a bunch of old OMNI games have been resurrected from the bowels of Pages 100+. I can only guess that the reason is that some people wanted to make a point about OMNI games as it relates to post counting. Prior to the motion the only games regularly on the first page were the count down thread (and the count up thread before we achieved the milestone), the next FT member to post thread, and sometimes the Misunderstand & reply and the 4 Word Story threads. Now OMNI/fluff is rather inundated with old games. I do think that after voting has closed some of those resurrected threads will die again within a few weeks.

Vote 1 encapsulates the idea very well. At this point I support it as stated.

I just don't see games threads as post padding. I would think that the biggest offenders would be those posting in the counting threads. The_Banking_Scot is by far the biggest participator of the counting threads. In the count up to 100000 thread he or she only had 6700 (based on my google search pointing me to a non-FT site) of those posts. That accounts for only about 2000 posts per year. Most people aren't anywhere close to that in posting numbers (the next highest poster had hundreds of posts). So I just don't see much padding happening. An extra few hundred posts per year is nothing to the tens of thousands of posts that some people have.

Vote 2 is probably necessary although I hope that the games threads will count.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:55 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Thanks for the comments. The following changes should improve clarity:

Vote 1:
The TalkBoard recommends creation of a Games forum under the OMNI category intended for the following types of threads:
1. Counting games
2. Contests
The TalkBoard does not consider Lounge threads in non-OMNI forums to be Game threads. The TalkBoard recognizes that moderators of each forum shall decide whether a given thread is more valuable in that forum, in the Games forum, or in some other forum.
Vote 2:
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:11 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Will this OMNI-Games forum require 180 days/180 posts for access?

Again, why the push to add back the inconsistency in not counting certain posts, when there is a motion currently being voted on that does away with the inconsistency?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx
I'd probably strike 'the content of the previous post' & put something like 'and similar type posts' after time of day.

80% (a guess) of all FT forum posts are in response to the content of the previous post

I'm supportive of a games sub-forum. I'm up in the air on whether the sub-forum posts should count. On the one hand it would appease those who are angsting about folks getting a gazillion posts & supposedly diluting their own hard-earned posts. But at the time time posts counting in Omni was for consistency's sake across all FT forums, so except for games makes no sense to me in terms of consistency.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.