Wiki Posts
Search

Please help the TalkBoard describe a Games forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
How about going one better and forgetting about the games threads altogether and consider it post padding?

I can't think a single value to this community of someone counting up or down from 500,000 - particularly when all they post is a 6 digit number (now).

Responding yes or thank-you is at least saying something.
This coming from the poster who vehemently argues that all posts should be treated equally.

Guess what. Counting threads count just as much when it comes to page views and ad revenue then any post about gardening, auto repair, and Republican debate discussion. In fact, because they are quicker to make, and much more numerous, they actually add more page views and make more money.

The smell of irony is so delicious in the morning.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nsx
Here's the text for a draft proposal:.......

The TalkBoard recommends creation of a Games forum under the OMNI category, to be used for the following types of threads:
5. Threads that have in the moderators' judgment become gamesthat Lounge threads established for the users of a particular forum are not considered Games threads that belong in the Games forum, so we don't need to worry that our definition of a game thread might apply to Lounge threads. Whether Lounge threads should or should not be counted is off-topic here. (FWIW, I believe that opinion heavily favors the status quo on Lounge threads.)

The TalkBoard does not consider Lounge threads or other off-topic threads established for the users of a particular forum to be game threads that belong in the Games forum.

To the extent possible, posts made in the Games forum shall not be included in a member's post count.
Re: pint #5....

Why not just say: This only applies to Games Threads and not to Lounge threads. If a Moderator deems that in their judgement, a Lounge thread has become a Games thread, the Moderator shall move said Lounge thread into the Games forum where it will be treated like all other Games threads.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
This coming from the poster who vehemently argues that all posts should be treated equally.

Guess what. Counting threads count just as much when it comes to page views and ad revenue then any post about gardening, auto repair, and Republican debate discussion. In fact, because they are quicker to make, and much more numerous, they actually add more page views and make more money.

The smell of irony is so delicious in the morning.
Rather than spend time arguing about whether or not counting games should be in their own forum, and get into the "all posts count" discussion, I proposed it as a alternate thought.

I disagree with the mods that counting isn't post padding - when Omni counted, the worst offenders clearly stated that was their goal. The game threads dropped off substantially when posts stopped counting.

But they're the mods and it's their decision.

However, it really isn't necessary to get sarcastic with me just because we have a different opinion.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Cholula
Mary, my reasoning is that people come to FT for any number of reasons and, I guess, playing games is one of them. Quite a few people play them and they haven't been getting post count credit for years so I assume they're playing them for fun or as something to kill time or whatever. I don't think anybody is posting to these game threads because someone is holding a gun to their head. They must be getting some sort of pleasure or enjoyment out of them.
I get that. Really I do. But you became an Omni mod the same day posts stopped counting and it was split up. You didn't see all the people amassing all those posts, though I know you're now aware of them. I agree those still counting away must be doing it for some sort of enjoyment - and I think it's only one or two people. If they are permitted to remain and count, well, you're going to see it all start up again.

I don't want to decide what should or should not be fun for the FT Community. I think we just need to decide where these games should be placed and whether or not the posts should count.
I agree, but just how many of these people are having fun? I think it's only a couple. Opening up the door to these kinds of threads will only cause the padding to start up again. And that's what got alot of people pissed off at Omni - those counting threads were always showing up in "new threads" and people just didn't want to see them on top all the time. Some even had their access to Omni cut off just so they didn't have to deal with it.

But like I said before, you're the mod and it's your decision. I disagree, but heck, who am I?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
However, it really isn't necessary to get sarcastic with me just because we have a different opinion.
Exactly, and in fairness, Mary2e has been talking about posts counting in the context of adding value to the community. Counting games add no value because there is no content. At least with off topic subjects, there is a topic and some discussion.

Describing a games forum is certainly difficult. I'd say that some factors for consideration have to be whether there is a topic being discussed, information provided or an opinion given or whether a person's response has to be based on the previous poster.

Not at easy task and it would certainly be up to the moderator's discretion. But, I am strongly in favour of a forum being created to capture these types of threads so that there is a place for them to be moved to, if a moderator decides that is the appropriate course of action.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
But like I said before, you're the mod and it's your decision. I disagree, but heck, who am I?
You're Mary2e, a prominent and respected FT'er and also a secret weapon for the OMNI mods.

We won't necessarily define the details of that last role.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:45 pm

Weapon???? Oh god, I need to get a life
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments. Here is a draft proposal in two parts:

Vote 1:
The TalkBoard recommends creation of a Games forum under the OMNI category, to be used for the following types of threads:
1. Counting games
2. Contests
3. Threads where the content of a post is related to the time of day, the content of the previous post
4. Threads that have in the moderators' judgment become games.
The TalkBoard does not consider Lounge threads to be Game threads.
Vote 2:
If the Community Director creates a Games forum, the TalkBoard recommends that posts made in the Games forum be excluded from a member's post count.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nsx
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments. Here is a draft proposal in two parts:

Vote 1:
1. Counting games
2. Contests
3. Threads where the content of a post is related to the time of day, the content of the previous post
4. Threads that have in the moderators' judgment become games.
The TalkBoard does not consider Lounge threads to be Game threads.
Vote 2:
If the Community Director creates a Games forum, the TalkBoard recommends that posts made in the Games forum be excluded from a member's post count.
I still don't understand why, when the vote on counting all posts is being done in part to eliminate the inconsistency, that TalkBoard would then vote on adding that inconsistency back into the mix, this time in a new forum.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:49 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by kipper
I still don't understand why, when the vote on counting all posts is being done in part to eliminate the inconsistency, that TalkBoard would then vote on adding that inconsistency back into the mix, this time in a new forum.
As I said in the private TB forum, I am a 'sure, I guess' on vote #1 and a 'no' on vote #2 for the very reason you state, and because I think games can help build community, and because I really don't care if folks want to go on 'posting runs' in the games forum.

But I appreciate nsx splitting the issues out so that I can make that clear case.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by kokonutz
As I said in the private TB forum, I am a 'sure, I guess' on vote #1 and a 'no' on vote #2 for the very reason you state, and because I think games can help build community, and because I really don't care if folks want to go on 'posting runs' in the games forum.

But I appreciate nsx splitting the issues out so that I can make that clear case.
To some extent, I think that if the games are in a separate forum, then really, what does it matter how active someone is in that forum? Those who don't want to deal with the games won't have to, at that point. Yes, splitting it into 2 votes is a good option there.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:32 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kipper
Counting OMNI posts is a benefit to posters who care about their count. IMO it's OK to count those posts because OMNI posts are often valued by readers.

However game thread posts have zero value to readers. Therefore the argument for counting those posts is completely one-sided and falls short.

Counting games posts will, I believe, cause a posting rush in game threads. This will unnecessarily degrade any remaining value to readers of the post count metric. We should prevent that.

As I said in the OP, I'd like to save the pros and cons discussion for the debate thread once the proposal goes live. For today I just want to get the wording right.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:37 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Considering that any member can do a quick search for how many posts members make in any forum, I do not buy the "degrading post count metric" argument.

There are many forums that hold zero value to me as a reader... but I do not argue they should not count...

Just count everything and let members do their research if the post counts mean something to them.

Or better yet, why not ask IB if it is feasible to expand the "Posts: xx,xxx" to add an "OMNI Posts: xxxx" or something like that?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by wharvey
Considering that any member can do a quick search for how many posts members make in any forum, I do not buy the "degrading post count metric" argument.

There are many forums that hold zero value to me as a reader... but I do not argue they should not count...

Just count everything and let members do their research if the post counts mean something to them.

Or better yet, why not ask IB if it is feasible to expand the "Posts: xx,xxx" to add an "OMNI Posts: xxxx" or something like that?
As long as we can have it also say "Lounge Posts: xxxx, Contest Posts: xxxx, etc." Quite frankly, it's unworkable -- to me counting everything means counting everything within one count.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Is anyone else incredulous that TB, in the midst of voting for a measure that would make all posts count, is considering bringing forward a measure that would again create a subset of posts that would not count?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.