Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed - Posts Count in All FT Forums

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ewrfox
I would think its going forward? Can you even retroactively count all the posts?
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
No, you cannot.
Please don't take this as doubting your honesty, but are you sure about that? Are you telling me that the system has no way to count and display the total number of posts by each member since joining? I'd be very surprised if this were true. Have you specifically asked this question of the TB Techies?

For me, I would like to see all posts count just for the trivial purpose of knowing my total number of posts to this community. I really don't care about the "Evangelist" title. But I would be interested to have a more complete picture of my posting history and stats available.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Skyman65
Have you specifically asked this question of the TB Techies?
Yes, I have. I do my best to not make statements here without having obtained backup information first.

There have been periods of time when certain forums have counted and certain times they have not. For example, Omni used to count. When the decision was made to stop counting it, it was as of that day going forward. There was no backward sweep to delete all Omni posts. Further, there was thread corruption from early years on prior platforms. Those threads simply aren't available to be recounted. If TB approves this measure, the count for the specific forums not currently counted will be as of the day that IB throws the controls for them to count. In order to count from inception, IB would have to recount the entire board. I have been told it would be a considerable task. IB understandably has little appetite for this. My personal perspective is that it would have minimal benefit.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although I'm sure this will be an unpopular position, I voted against this.

Personally, I'd love to see non-mile/point related fora (such as this one even) not count towards post counts...that'll probably never happen.

I'd also like to see the "lounge threads" not count towards post counts...that'll probably never happen.

I wouldn't be as opposed to the post-count thing if we got rid of post-count based titles...but I don't really see that happening either...

Although most people, I believe, want posts in all fora to count, I've already voted against it on behalf of those that don't want them to count...

BTW - I'll be without regular internet access from now through the 17th - so I probably won't be able to read and reply to many responses on this thread...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Jenbel
OMG, back to all the hideous counting games filling up the front page of OMNI again. Why do you hate OMNI so much?
I will personally go in and start a dozen new games to inflate my post count if this motion passes. Let's try for 3-4 pages of OMNI Games and dedicate the entire forum to games. Mind you I've never played one of these OMNI Games, but it appears now is the time to start.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I support keeping the status quo. "There are other non-travel related posts" is like the "talking to someone is a passenger seat is distracting, so don't ban texting while driving" argument." Allowing perfect to be the enemy of the good is a terrible policy.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Why is this complicated?
Without mentioning other previous discussion and debates, I believe you just undercount all the wisdom in the most recent motion thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...edit-omni.html

As worthy as making 439 posts in Randy's contest thread, IMO. @:-)
With due respect, my 439 reasons to post in Randy's contest thread are not based on the same reasoning of your counting OMNI posts. It was a contest, in case you forgot. Even though I didn't win, I did play by the rules.

Please allow me to repeat myself with emphases:

Originally Posted by lin821
3) Is it about what fora to count?, If so, please propose a motion that addresses forum-wide impact or effect; and address the forum-wide merits of such proposal/motion accordingly.

Please don't show me a half-baked motion that addresses issues at all the wrong levels.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:25 pm

Elections have consequences. It was clear during the campaign that I supported this, so if the majority was against it, I wouldn't have won election.
Either that or many* people thought that you were a reasonable person and/or knew you from your posts. (*many is an infinitely tiny percentage of active FT members, isn't it?)

Still, it's a little toggle switch in vBulletin to turn off post counts in a forum. It would've been exceptionally easy for Randy to set up these contests where the post counts didn't increment. I wonder why he didn't do that.
That's the second time Randy's actions have been brought up here. And I'm really not understanding your reference there. If you think there was a problem with his actions, why didn't you take it up with Randy then, or even now, you can still take it up with him. Or you can post little snipes like that if you really think that's the classy thing to do. (I wish we can just leave all this nonsense out of this thread. ok, maybe I should not have replied to this either.)

Doesn't matter to me.

Points and miles brought me here -- but I've stayed for the community. And OMNI, to me, as a valuable part of the community. YMMV.
post padding? Should you RBP yourself?

Anyway, this is such a minor thing, it really doesn't matter to me and as usual any opinion here is met with .. I don't know what to call it, Rich .. contempt? The thing is I really don't care one way or the other. No matter what the outcome, it's sure to be brought up again by the next talkboard and the one after that and after that and so on ... and in that case, it's not worth getting overly pedantic about it either way.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Your new TB is working on and talking a about lots of stuff. This is one of them.

If you have suggestions, please post them and/or PM me. I promise you a response within 24 hours*

*unless I am too hung over or on a plane.
I know you are and I know you would. You have to do what you think is right. I respect that. I may not agree with some of your opinions, but I still respect them because I understand your motivation.

I guess I don't look at post count the same way as others do. I don't think a huge post count automatically means that persons posts are trusted more or more likely to be correct than others or more likely to be an opinion I would agree with. Quality of posts, to me, is a much more important gauge and there's really no way to accurately measure that here. I think it was tried before and didn't work out.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jan 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The reason why — as far as I know — is that those contest threads resided in the CommunityBuzz! forum, and the “toggle switch” affecting “post count” can only be implemented forum-wide, not to individual threads.
He could've easily put those threads in their own forum. Still, it's in the past and is merely an example of an inconsistent policy.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Yes, I have. I do my best to not make statements here without having obtained backup information first.

There have been periods of time when certain forums have counted and certain times they have not. For example, Omni used to count. When the decision was made to stop counting it, it was as of that day going forward. There was no backward sweep to delete all Omni posts. Further, there was thread corruption from early years on prior platforms. Those threads simply aren't available to be recounted. If TB approves this measure, the count for the specific forums not currently counted will be as of the day that IB throws the controls for them to count. In order to count from inception, IB would have to recount the entire board. I have been told it would be a considerable task. IB understandably has little appetite for this. My personal perspective is that it would have minimal benefit.
I didn't know the answer to this, but I did do some research earlier today (vBulletin administration stuff is easy to search) and the only way to "rebuild" post counts for old posts (or to eliminate them from old posts) is to essentially have vBulletin sweep through the massive database to rebuild the post count. That's not a viable option, IMO. Many people would lose post count as very old threads that ended up corrupted or no longer in place would fall from post counts.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one letter/word threads = what is the point of having post count? i would maintain there isnt one. and i dont see how you can argue anything else if everyone has post counts of ten million, or whatever the maximum is.

not that i understand this issue to begin with

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

have any of the people who want OMNI to count made "negative" comments about the "other forum" being overly social or whatever? at one point i calculated the majority of posts there were in "lounge" forums.

this isnt about the people, but the consistency of dialog.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wink

OMNI games and other post-padding schemes are against the FT TOS. So what's the worry?

As with ad-hominem attacks, discussion of moderator actions, or creating threads about other FlyerTalkers, surely such posts are swiftly deleted.

Nothing to see here.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Prospero
Are we going to be made to waltz this little dance after each and every TB election?

I like to believe there is merit to stability?
Agree. BTW when's the next TB election?

MHO is leave things as they are.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
To those of you against Omni posts counting, well, did it really matter to you when they did? I'm pretty sure it was all the counting threads in Omni that caused randy to stop them from counting with no warning or discussion. He must have been bombarded with complaints about them because he was the only mod there at the time. He just didnt have time, nor the stomach, to deal with all the people spending the day counting.

Can you point out another major board where they don't count?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Can you point out another major board where they don't count?
Can you point out another major board where they have counting games?

(seriously - you know me, Mary - I'm not just trying to be funny here...are there other boards that have counting games such as this & award titles for post counts? If there are, I just don't know about them or frequent them, I guess).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.