Wiki Posts
Search

Request for a Seattle Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jackal
And therein lies the argument against fragmenting forums more than necessary. The fact that the West forum is already not a high-volume forum means that there's not really a need to fragment it. And keeping it as is (including keeping OR/WA/ID) means that topics could still get air-time in front of and feedback from those who may have something to add but who may not go out of their way to seek them out.

To sum it up, after mulling on this issue a bit more, I am not actually convinced that this entire process is a positive move and think that the status quo may actually represent the most productive way to keep discussion stirred up in the forum.
I'm in agreement with what jackal has said above, so at the moment I'd be inclined to vote against it.

Cheers.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
On the topic of west.. I wouldn't know what would be in the forum.. certainly I wouldn't think Seattle would be part of the West Forum.. Now Pacific Northwest rings a bell.. even Disneyland forum would work wonders.. not suggesting that we start creating a ton of forums, but I grew up knowing that the Pacific Northwest was a specific region of the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

Pacific Northwest
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the region that includes parts of Canada and the United States. For the U.S.-only region, see Northwestern United States.

The Pacific Northwest from space
The Pacific Northwest, also known as Cascadia [1] [2] is a region in northwestern North America, bounded by the Pacific Ocean to the west and, loosely, by the Rocky Mountains on the east. Definitions of the region vary and there is no commonly agreed upon boundary, even among Pacific Northwesterners.[3] A common concept of the Pacific Northwest includes the U.S. states of Oregon, Washington and Idaho, as well as the Canadian province of British Columbia and territory of the Yukon.[4] This definition is often restricted further to include only the coastal areas west of the crest of the Cascade Mountains and Canadian Coast Mountains. Broader definitions of the region may even include the state of Alaska. [5] and may reach east to the Rocky Mountains.[4] Definitions based on the historic Oregon Country reach east to the Continental Divide, thus including nearly all of Idaho and parts of western Montana and western Wyoming. Sometimes the Pacific Northwest is defined as being the Northwestern United States, wholly in the United States. Often these definitions are made by government agencies whose scope is limited to the United States.[6] Some definitions include, in addition to Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia, Southeast Alaska, western Montana, the coast of northern California and a small part of northwestern Wyoming.[7] The term "Pacific Northwest" should not be confused with the Northwest Territory (also known as the Great Northwest, a historic term in the United States) or the Northwest Territories of Canada.

The term Northwest Coast is often used when referring only to the coastal regions. The term Northwest Plateau has been used to describe the inland regions, although they are commonly referred to as "the Interior" in British Columbia[8] and the Inland Empire in the United States.

The region's largest metropolitan areas are Seattle/Tacoma, Washington, with 3.3 million people;[9] Vancouver, British Columbia, with 2.3 million people;[10] and the Portland metropolitan area, with 2.2 million people.[11]

A key aspect of the Pacific Northwest is the US–Canada international border, which was established when the region was largely unsettled by non-indigenous peoples. The border along the 49th parallel and the Alaska Panhandle has had a powerful effect on the region. According to Canadian historian Ken Coates, the border has not merely influenced the Pacific Northwest—rather, "the region's history and character have been determined by the boundary".[4]
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia

Otheriwse Seattle doesn't have much going for it, doesn't have a coherent frequent visitor programme, isn't a member of any major alliance and so far as I know it doesn't have any affinity credit card with any major US bank.

Now now, Seattle will sleep with anyone that isn't *A, and it has an affinity card that gets you a $99 companion fare each year. Of course, if the Chilean government approves a merger, Seattle will probably have to divest itself of Cordova (Alaska).
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
On the topic of west.. I wouldn't know what would be in the forum..
Ask & you shall receive. The West forum (which currently exists) incorporates the following:

"Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada (See the sub-forums within for Las Vegas), New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming"

Cheers.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
It suddenly dawned to me that

BC really is part of the Northwest no matter what people think. Besides having lived in the NW for 41 years including one year in Bellingham, I suddenly came to the realization the Point Roberts, WA actually can only be reached by land by transiting British Columbia.

This includes two immigration and custom checks. If you are doubters, please check out Point Roberts.

Additionally, often companies in Southern British Columbia actually use the U.S. Postal service because it is faster than Canada Post in cross border shipments. Recently I dealt with a company in Burnaby who ship from Blaine for this reason. Not only is it cheaper to take stuff across the border but also much faster.

Perhaps someone should talk with Fredd who actually lives on the border if there are doubters that the Pacific Northwest includes southern British Columbia.

I note that some of the strongest doubters do not live in either country. Local knowledge should trump guessing. I happen to know that Great Britain includes Wales, Scotland, England and Northern Ireland. If there was enough support for such a division, I'd support that decision.

I appeal for you to listen to those of us who have local knowledge. I support a Pacific Northwest Forum preferably including BC.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Lightbulb Cascadia

Cascadia is the proposed name for a bioregional political entity and/or an independent nation located within the Cascadian bioregion of the Pacific Northwest of North America. Proposed boundaries differ, with some drawn along existing political state and provincial lines, and others drawn along larger ecological, cultural and economic boundaries.
The nation would be created by secession of British Columbia from Canada, along with Oregon, Washington and portions of other states from the United States. At its maximum extent Cascadia would extend from the coastal Alaskan Panhandle to the north, extending into Northern California in the south, and inland to include parts of the Yukon, Idaho, Wyoming and Western Montana.
As measured only by the combination of present B.C., Washington and Oregon statistics, Cascadia would be home to 15 million people, and an economy generating more than $750 billion worth of goods and services annually, which would place Cascadia in the top 20 economies of the world.[2] Its largest city, Seattle, itself has an economy slightly smaller than Thailand, but larger than Colombia and Venezuela.[3] By land area Cascadia would be the 20th largest nation in the world, with a land area of 1,384,588 km˛ (534,572 sq mi), placing it right behind Mongolia. By population, Cascadia would rank as the 65th largest, just above Malawi and just below Niger in population, or about the size of Sweden and Finland's population combined.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
This native's opinion: ^ Cascadia ^

It's descriptive without being exclusive, which is especially helpful when talking about land connections among and daytrips out of the three cities. PDX is a daytrip from Seattlite, but so is YVR. Mount St. Helens is a day trip from either SEA and PDX. FWIW, the Amtrak line from Eugene to Vancouver is called ... wait for it ... The Cascades. It's not a leap to name an FT travel region 'Cascadia'.

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: Platinum
Cascadia is appropriate. I think YVR is closer culturally and economically to SEA and PDX than YYZ.

How about the State of Jefferson for those of us in southern Cascadia ?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by aztimm
I would suspect the ND/SD posts could go in the same forum as MN, but I struggle with putting them in something called Midwest.
Most of my family are natives of the Dakotas. They seem to refer to themselves as being from the Midwest though maybe they think of themselves as from the Plains.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:10 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by frankmu
How about the State of Jefferson for those of us in southern Cascadia ?
A subforum for the rebels. I like it.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Cascadia of the Pacific Northwest.. has a nice ring to it..

I have no clue if its politically correct.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
How do the AAA Tourbooks divide the west?
Well, my AAA membership is with the Mountain West region--Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming.

Scary to think I live in the biggest city served by that division.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by jackal
Well, my AAA membership is with the Mountain West region--Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming.

Scary to think I live in the biggest city served by that division.
And I think the AAA book for my area is AZ + NM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by aztimm
And I think the AAA book for my area is AZ + NM.
Jackal is confusing membership regions with tourbooks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.