Search

Gift disclosure and thank you

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:52 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The disclosure, voluntary as it is too, is nice to see. Any disclosures about airlines or hotels or credit card companies offering benefits to company-selected "opinion leaders" in positions of authority, perhaps in hopes of "guiding" things or having a "closer" relationship? It's how they try to play it with the travel blogging industry. It's how lobbyists try to do it with favored pols and bureaucrats.

Even as I trust that many people can take from others without feeling obliged to them, the disclosure is still appreciated.
That's exactly why I posted. I don't believe that IB (or anyone else, for that matter) could 'buy' anything from me in terms of my meager role around here. But I think that in the ever-increasingly murky world of blurred 'commercial' ventures (both on line and in the real world), the best way to avoid even the appearance of a conflict is simple full disclosure. Even of something as nominal as this. ^

Well, that and to say thanks, since my momma raised me to be polite.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
That's exactly why I posted. I don't believe that IB (or anyone else, for that matter) could 'buy' anything from me in terms of my meager role around here. But I think that in the ever-increasingly murky world of blurred 'commercial' ventures (both on line and in the real world), the best way to avoid even the appearance of a conflict is simple full disclosure. Even of something as nominal as this. ^

Well, that and to say thanks, since my momma raised me to be polite.
In its advisory capacity, will TB consider a proposal to advocate, for the above reasons, that such disclosure become standard practice for those in a position of privileged official influence on FT? At the very least, TB doing it for TB should be possible despite TB's limitations.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:01 am
Original Poster

In its advisory capacity, will TB consider a proposal to advocate, for the above reasons, that such disclosure become standard practice for those in a position of privileged official influence on FT? At the very least, TB doing it for TB should be possible despite TB's limitations.
I (obviously) continue to have concerns with regard to creeping commercialization and mixed motivations/conflicts of interest around participation on FT. So it's something I will be exploring during my time on TB.

For now I thought I would just lead by example. @:-)
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:38 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I have absolutely no problem with this but do we stop at only TB members as there are "others" who are in a position of privileged information and influence <and now i will duck>
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by goalie
I have absolutely no problem with this but do we stop at only TB members as there are "others" who are in a position of privileged information and influence <and now i will duck>
I also received an A380 for my personal use.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
I also received an A380 for my personal use.
Ha! That's really funny!

Next thing you'll be telling us you got free status at a hotel chain!

Stop! My sides are splitting!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Ha! That's really funny!

I already disclosed both my mansion and my yacht. Do you expect me to really head into the 1%er stratosphere with my own Four Seasons Maldives bungalow disclosure?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Ha! That's really funny!

No, you have to write a blog for that. I've been told a blog is like a book, but shorter.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Ha! That's really funny!

Unless it's elite status at Motel 6, pretty much any other elite status is worthless to me, as my lodging budget calls for hostel beds and a Motel 6 is a splurge.

Thank you, IB, for the $5. That plus the $20 I already had saved up in Amazon gifts from family, etc. means I now have enough to qualify for Free Super-Saver Shipping!
Old Dec 25, 2011, 2:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by karung99
I also got $25 Starbucks Gift Card from RP... oppss wrong place
I also received the $25 Starbucks Gift Card from RP and, in the interests of full disclosure, I do not drink coffee so I sent it to an FTer who holds a position I am not allowed to mention.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dovster
I also received the $25 Starbucks Gift Card from RP and, in the interests of full disclosure, I do not drink coffee so I sent it to an FTer who holds a position I am not allowed to mention.
As this is supposedly a family-friendly board -- even of relevance to minors -- is it safe to conclude that the "moral majority" thanks you for not elaborating upon who is holding a particular Kama Sutra position?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.