Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Amend Talkboard Guidelines - Term Limits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by oh912flyer
Here's why that doesn't work: it prevents new people who might do a better job from getting a shot at the position. I've seen this happen first hand in another organization. A lack of term limits also eventually leads to stagnation and lack of new ideas. Having term limits forces the incumbents to help discover new people to learn the ropes so they can be good at the job if they're elected.

Term limits and the turnover they force are good things. Now, if we could just get D.C. to realize this...
Yes ^^^
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:50 am

Term Limits

Yes on term limits!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You might want to read this thread which the Talk Board president posted 7 years ago:
Do Not Post Opinions of Moderation, Moderators or Their Actions Here
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:47 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by tom911
You might want to read this thread which the Talk Board president posted 7 years ago:
Do Not Post Opinions of Moderation, Moderators or Their Actions Here
Or, more constructively, this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-feedback.html
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:48 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I am in favor of term limits.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Very democratic, so I vote yes.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I suspect the US law that I believe allows the President to serve only 2 terms is there for a reason?

The "let the voters decide" argument did not seem to appeal much to the founding fathers of the USA.

Maybe they foresaw folks like Nixon on the horizon?

Term limits are good.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am 100% in support of term limits - they are the reason I only served two terms. They make sense, and they prevent moderators from serving over and over again.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:19 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by ozstamps
I suspect the US law that I believe allows the President to serve only 2 terms is there for a reason?

The "let the voters decide" argument did not seem to appeal much to the founding fathers of the USA.

Maybe they foresaw folks like Nixon on the horizon?

Term limits are good.
The 22nd Amendment to the US constitution wasn't ratified until 1951. Before that, Presidents followed George Washington's precedent of voluntarily retiring after 2 terms.

But that's a poor analogy, imho. So are corporate boards.

The TB is a volunteer 'organization' whose job is to come up with, examine and/or make recommendations on ideas to make FT a better place. There is no special skill set required. Any poster who cares about FT can do it. Term limits are simply a best practice in situations like this where you want to allow as many volunteers as possible to be engaged.

Last edited by kokonutz; Dec 18, 2011 at 9:53 am
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by kokonutz
The TB is a volunteer 'organization' whose job is to come up with, examine and/or make recommendations on ideas to make FT a better place. There is no special skill set required. Any poster who cares about FT can do it. Term limits are simply a best practice for term limits in situations like this where you want to allow as many volunteers as possible to be engaged.
Actually, it's kind of funny that one has to discuss term limits. If everyone were to follow the best practice you mention (like for instance ScottC, whose post I applaud) instead of clinging to their seat like an African dictator, one would not even need to discuss term limits.

In my opinion, the burden should be on those who think they are so indispensable that they have to be on TalkBoard for more than 4 consecutive years to explain why that would be necessary. If you haven't been able to bring your ideas (if any) to fruition within 4 (or more!) years, why do you have to block the seat for someone else who could bring some fresh ideas and input?

The only possible explanation (other than personal vanity) I see right now is that a person who does that wants to indeed prevent fresh ideas and input...maybe even in a pigheaded way?

But I am happy to be convinced otherwise by those self-interested ones who oppose term limits.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A useful piece of information would be the annual board member turnover for the last 5? years.
Does anyone on the current TB have this information?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But in the absence of data, it is hard to have a constructive debate.
+1. ^^

I have served on a number of Boards on non-profit organisations, both locally, nationally and internationally on both sides of the Atlantic. I have seen the problems of stagnation on much larger sized boards than TB.

Term limits are a good idea for the TalkBoard so I would support this change. 4 years on then a year off before one is eligible to run again.

I am not sure that the arguments put forward in favour of term limits apply equally to moderators though.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingDentist
Does anyone on the current TB have this information?
I would be more than happy to compile a list of the service of the current TalkBoard. I'll try to do so today.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe only Spiff & I have been on the board on the past 5 years - there has been turnover on all other positions.

I'm serving my 3rd 2-year term. At this time, regardless of whether this motion passes or not (and I've voted against it), I do not plan on running for TalkBoard again.

If this motion passes, neither nsx, Spiff, or jackal will be eligible to run when their terms are up as well.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Yes to term limits. What is the average age of the talkboard members?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by skchin
Yes to term limits. What is the average age of the talkboard members?
^ and I'm not proud , I'm 53

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.