Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should login be required for access to Mistake Fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should login be required for access to Mistake Fares?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
So then what's the point of restricting it?
And what is the form of restriction proposed? A simple log-in.. or with minimal post counts..
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I think this is a pretty academic discussion. Most of the really good fares have been moved away from FT to private 'invitation only' forums.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I don't think any amount of restrictions will protect good deals and tricks. Just think about the number of blogs we have these days...all it takes is for one blog to copy a FT thread. Then another blog copies that blog, Slickdeals catches on, etc.

Over the past couple of years I've posted a number of good deals (IMO) in the main MR forum and Trick It thread but lately I've been more reluctant to do so as we have far more lurkers than contributors.

I would be in favor of a login requirement as this prevents Google bots from catching a lot of things. Any post count requirements would be futile based on the amount of post padding I've seen recently.

Originally Posted by Markie
I think this is a pretty academic discussion. Most of the really good fares have been moved away from FT to private 'invitation only' forums.
+1
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
I don't think any amount of restrictions will protect good deals and tricks. Just think about the number of blogs we have these days...all it takes is for one blog to copy a FT thread. Then another blog copies that blog, Slickdeals catches on, etc.

Over the past couple of years I've posted a number of good deals (IMO) in the main MR forum and Trick It thread but lately I've been more reluctant to do so as we have far more lurkers than contributors.

I would be in favor of a login requirement as this prevents Google bots from catching a lot of things. Any post count requirements would be futile based on the amount of post padding I've seen recently.

+1
I follow the same sentiment.. I no longer post the juiciest deals necessarily.. good public knowledge ones for reference, but how to completely work a system with the program caught with its pants down.. is reserved to the invitation only group that I'm an administrator of..
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
I would be in favor of a login requirement as this prevents Google bots from catching a lot of things.
I would not support a day/post entry requirement. I would be more in favor of a log-in requirement for the reason stated above.

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:20 am

I'd be opposed to restricted Mileage Run and similar forums (or any other forum not currently restricted) to anyone.

This is not what FlyerTalk is about, IMHO.
You know, except when you do fully support restricting access to unrestricted parts of the site (or making the access more difficult to obtain). I guess it's not what FT is about sometimes.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njx9
You know, except when you do fully support restricting access to unrestricted parts of the site (or making the access more difficult to obtain). I guess it's not what FT is about sometimes.
The key word in my post is "Currently" - I support Coupon Connection restrictions because I look at that as a benefit of being in the community and there is a certain level of trust that is required in that forum. I've made trades that have been valued at thousands of dollars with people whom I've never personally met before due to that trust. As for OMNI, the requirement for posts was presented due to member requests as FlyerTalk's non-elected leadership changed the accessiblity of OMNI - here's the vote if you'd like to see it - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...i-omni-pr.html.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:59 pm

The key word in my post is "Currently" - I support Coupon Connection restrictions because I look at that as a benefit of being in the community and there is a certain level of trust that is required in that forum. I've made trades that have been valued at thousands of dollars with people whom I've never personally met before due to that trust. As for OMNI, the requirement for posts was presented due to member requests as FlyerTalk's non-elected leadership changed the accessiblity of OMNI - here's the vote if you'd like to see it - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...i-omni-pr.html.
I understand and don't intend to rehash either of those threads, as they've already happened, but your saying that 'restricting access is not what FlyerTalk is about' is completely untrue, and not a valid reason for opposing this thread's potential restriction, especially from someone who voted for previous restrictions. I don't see a realistic difference between the reasons for hiding CC and the potential reasons for hiding the Mistake Fares.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'm a member of a couple of those "invitation only" groups, and the really good deals get yanked pretty fast after being posted on those. The idea that any restriction to access MR Deal will make a significant difference is absurd.

That said, I do support a login requirement, simply because it encourages people to create an account. Once people have an account, they are more likely to contribute to the community...

There are some sites which I used to lurk on, where the fact that I had to create an account/give away my email address was the biggest block in the way of me contributing...

The type of content posted on MR Deals could be a "reward" for joining the site. Something I think is perfectly fair...
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The question is who do you want to hide the info from:

- airlines? no need, either the lurker is already a established poster and has access or they noticed thru their GDS scan reports that something is wrong already
- bloggers? same thing, they are members
- newbies? they will just sign up and enrich the long list of dormant FT account

The paranoid among us will stay the same whatever you put in place.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:14 am
Suspended

How bout and elite FT Club membership where those who are in invited can share their juiciest secrets?

I've got so much to share, I'm bursting at the seams.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
How bout and elite FT Club membership where those who are in invited can share their juiciest secrets?

I've got so much to share, I'm bursting at the seams.
Already exists...check out CommunityBuzz & build personal relationships with FTers and meet in person...that's where most of us learn our secrets.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Already exists...check out CommunityBuzz & build personal relationships with FTers and meet in person...that's where most of us learn our secrets.
Ok.. thanks for the tips..

I wonder how many juicy details I've been missing over the years?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I wonder how many juicy details I've been missing over the years?
Don't forget to check out all the dirty laundry over OMNI Fluffy.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I wonder if "Company Representatives" automatically get Coupon Connection access after the 180/180.
Frankly giving official reps access if we enacted a 180 rule would be counter to one of the main reasons why FT was created to begin with. FT has always been the Mecca for bargain and mistake fares and over the years I have used some of them thanks to the alerts from our fellow members. In addition, if a company rep started a dupe handle and this was discovered they would be subject to FT's TOS. @:-)

I think that the TB should consider a way to make a Mistake Fares type of sub forum more restrictive. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.