Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should login be required for access to Mistake Fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should login be required for access to Mistake Fares?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Non sequitur. You need to login to post anyway.
Yes.. but you don't need to login to read..

Someone with a deal could think that their deal isn't relevant to the forum, because its simply not there.. not knowing they have to login to see it..
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:25 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Yes.. but you don't need to login to read..

Someone with a deal could think that their deal isn't relevant to the forum, because its simply not there.. not knowing they have to login to see it..
I saw one of those kinds of people post a deal in the MR Deals forum just today:

UA/CO cheapest 4 EQS from CLE? (9 hours ago)
Originally Posted by 8bf18
Same day would be ideal from DEC 15-20 or DEC 26-27. Thnx much.
8bf18 has a post count of 1. These kinds of deals are the deals we'd miss out on if we make it easy for newbies like him/her to find the MR Deals forum and post to it. Thanks, but no thanks.

Keeping deals from being killed is not the only benefit of this proposal.

I consider it to be a big difference in being helpful to newbies who make a basic effort to use the search function and do a little work on their own vs. newbies that post expecting answers to be handed on a silver platter. To get the short-lived crown jewels of our FT cooperation, a bare minimum of contribution should be demonstrated.

--

Edited to add following examples:
AA: Need 6 segments out of DFW for PLT - 17 hours ago (author post count of 2)
MR needed from SYR on DL - 2 days ago
UA MR for 4,616 worth it? - 3 days ago (author post count of 1)

Edited to add additional juicy MR Deals posted by newbies (12/9 2:24pm CST):
Cheap short mr from bos needed - 3 hours ago (APC of 55)
AA: NYC to Toronto - 4 hours ago (APC of 1)
Need 7,800 MQMs on DL by Dec 31 - help! - 9p yesterday (APC of 2; those two posts are identical dupe posts, one posted to MR Deals, one posted to MR Discussion)
Looking for a good long haul out of GSP for the end of the year- Any ideas? - 10:13p yesterday (APC of 1)

Last edited by HansGolden; Dec 9, 2011 at 1:25 pm
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:51 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
HG,

Well said and great examples. I'm still waiting to see an example of a great deal posted by someone who just happened to stumble on the Mileage Run forum for the first time.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: Too many
I agree with Saggy's points...

Some lurkers have never any intention of becoming a member

If there was a way IB could make the posts 180/180 rule but with still being able to add the info...i would think that would ideal
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Jinxy
If there was a way IB could make the posts 180/180 rule but with still being able to add the info...i would think that would ideal
LOL - I think that's called having your cake & wanting to eat it too.

But it's a moot point. The software doesn't allow a 180/180 restriction but it can be overrided if someone has a good deal to post.

Speaking only for myself I would vote against a 180/180 entry to the forum. However, I would support a registered/logged in entry to the forum.

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
LOL - I think that's called having your cake & wanting to eat it too.

But it's a moot point. The software doesn't allow a 180/180 restriction but it can be overrided if someone has a good deal to post.

Speaking only for myself I would vote against a 180/180 entry to the forum. However, I would support a registered/logged in entry to the forum.

Cheers.
Ahh well..at least it gave you a smile (I think)
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Ahh well..at least it gave you a smile (I think)
I probably should have posted instead of LOL...
Old Feb 5, 2012, 4:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by the_horvaths
With all that being said, is it time to reconsider things again? Is TB happy with the status quo? Are there better solutions?
I apologize for getting distracted with the other subjects the TalkBoard was considering. I hope to find a version of this idea that the TalkBoard can support.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be opposed to restricted Mileage Run and similar forums (or any other forum not currently restricted) to anyone.

This is not what FlyerTalk is about, IMHO.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Difficulty is to determine each deal as a low lying fruit waiting for the pickin's.. let alone directing someone with the low lying fruit for the pickins to the specific forum and posting.. and restricting access so that only the most loyal FT members can take advantage of the deal..

Sounds like membership would have its priveleges..
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I'd be opposed to restricted Mileage Run and similar forums (or any other forum not currently restricted) to anyone.

This is not what FlyerTalk is about, IMHO.
Restricting it to members only is not restricting it. It only takes minutes for a new user to register for FT, after all.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Restricting it to members only is not restricting it. It only takes minutes for a new user to register for FT, after all.
There are times when it is restricting. For example when accessing FT under conditions where browser cookies are blocked or use of them otherwise is inconvenient.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 5:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are times when it is restricting. For example when accessing FT under conditions where browser cookies are blocked or use of them otherwise is inconvenient.
Some examples would be helpful for those of who have less experience with with this.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by nsx
I apologize for getting distracted with the other subjects the TalkBoard was considering. I hope to find a version of this idea that the TalkBoard can support.
No need to apologize as I forgot about this thread when starting the new one. It is a tricky topic, but I still see this as a relevant issue and would like to see a viable proposal that TB can at least vote on.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichMSN
So then what's the point of restricting it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.