Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Add SIXT Car Rental forum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:33 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Dovster
My objection, therefore, is not to having Sixt having its own forum, but rather to the idea of "if the Community Director asks for it, we will approve it." TB is NOT elected by the Community Director but by ordinary members -- and it is those members it should be representing.
Dov, Talkboard members deserve more respect. They decide what to support based on their own individual judgment. I've suggested a couple things to Talkboard that have not made it as far as a vote. Thus, you've never seen those items here for public discussion. However, I do have a right to ask them to consider a forum just as any member can. I made it clear to those who asked me that they should vote their own mind and not rubber stamp it because I was the one who requested it. I believe that is what they did here. And for the items where they did not move forward, I've respected their position and not gone around them.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I made it clear to those who asked me that they should vote their own mind and not rubber stamp it because I was the one who requested it.
Carol, I am very happy to hear that.

I would be even happier if you were to eliminate any restrictions on what TalkBoard may, or may not, discuss/recommend. This definitely includes the subject of moderators and moderation.

Keeping firmly in mind that as TalkBoard has absolutely no authority, but can merely make recommendations to you, it would seem that allowing the only member-elected group on FlyerTalk to make whatever recommendations it sees fit is only sensible.

Should it make a recommendation which you find unpalatable, you would then be free to reject it. In the meantime, you would have the benefit of hearing how the representatives of the membership feel about a particular issue.

It would also open the door to suggestions, on TalkBoard Topics, by the ordinary members for improvements along all lines.

(Note: I am not talking about allowing personal attacks on moderators, TB members, or ordinary members. I am discussing policy recommendations only.)

Indeed, I have a suggestion which I would like to make about paying moderators (I favor it). This, clearly, would need not only your approval but IBB's as well. While TB could not possibly require IBB to do this, I believe it would not only be fairer to the moderators but also improve the FlyerTalk experience for all members.

I would have made a specific recommendation along these lines on this forum long ago, but it would have been removed immediately -- and, even if it were not, I would have been told that it is outside of TB's remit.

I don't believe that, as long as TB can only recommend, anything should be beyond its scope.

Last edited by Dovster; Oct 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would be even happier if you were to eliminate any restrictions on what TalkBoard may, or may not, discuss/recommend. This definitely includes the subject of moderators and moderation.

Keeping firmly in mind that as TalkBoard has absolutely no authority, but can merely make recommendations to you, it would seem that allowing the only member-elected group on FlyerTalk to make whatever recommendations it sees fit is only sensible.

Should it make a recommendation which you find unpalatable, you would then be free to reject it. In the meantime, you would have the benefit of hearing how the representatives of the membership feel about a particular issue.

It would also open the door to suggestions, on TalkBoard Topics, by the ordinary members for improvements along all lines.

(Note: I am not talking about allowing personal attacks on moderators, TB members, or ordinary members. I am discussing policy recommendations only.)

Indeed, I have a suggestion which I would like to make about paying moderators (I favor it). This, clearly, would need not only your approval but IBB's as well. While TB could not possibly require IBB to do this, I believe it would not only be fairer to the moderators but also improve the FlyerTalk experience for all members.

I would have made a specific recommendation along these lines on this forum long ago, but it would have been removed immediately -- and, even if it were not, I would have been told that it is outside of TB's remit.

I don't believe that, as long as TB can only recommend, that anything should be beyond its scope.
FWIW, in the past, folks have been free to talk about moderation, just not specific moderator actions. Randy was always very clear about that - discussing moderation as a whole was accepted, just not individual actions or members. The ORP forum was an outlet for that - but that forum ceases to exist in the new FT.

As moderation isn't currently and has never been under the purview of the TalkBoard, those threads that make their way to this forum have been usually moderated.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
FWIW, in the past, folks have been free to talk about moderation, just not specific moderator actions. Randy was always very clear about that - discussing moderation as a whole was accepted, just not individual actions or members. The ORP forum was an outlet for that - but that forum ceases to exist in the new FT.
That was true very far in the past. In the last few years, anything which mentioned moderation on ORP was immediately locked pending "Randy's review" and never reopened.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:36 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Dov, Talkboard members deserve more respect. They decide what to support based on their own individual judgment. I've suggested a couple things to Talkboard that have not made it as far as a vote. Thus, you've never seen those items here for public discussion. However, I do have a right to ask them to consider a forum just as any member can. I made it clear to those who asked me that they should vote their own mind and not rubber stamp it because I was the one who requested it. I believe that is what they did here. And for the items where they did not move forward, I've respected their position and not gone around them.
The creation of this forum doesn't really affect me, but I do have a few thoughts on your comment.

I would like to see Talkboard giving FT membership at large (who they are supposed to represent) time to comment on things, to see if perhaps the membership would like to see a vote on said idea. If one person suggests it, usually, at least a few others feel strongly about it, one way or the other. I'd love to at least see a thread in the public TalkBoard forum for discussion on all suggestions and such.

If there is the appearance of a hint of favoritism, which I think is what Dov was suggesting there might be in this case, I've learned that it's better to err on the side of caution. Perhaps, rather than you (Carol) making suggestions to TalkBoard, it might be best if suggestions you have for TalkBoard were sent to another member, and that member was asked to relay them to TalkBoard under the guise of it being their suggestion. This would demonstrate that something was not approved by TalkBoard simply because the Community Director requested it, but that all members' suggestions were valued and met with the same respect and consideration.

I don't believe that, as long as TB can only recommend, anything should be beyond its scope.
This too seems reasonable as far as recommendations and discussions on non-specific moderator action.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 4:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
That was true very far in the past. In the last few years, anything which mentioned moderation on ORP was immediately locked pending "Randy's review" and never reopened.
As a blanket statement, this, of course, is simply untrue.

Rhetorically effective, I suppose, but false nonetheless.

cblaisd
Former ORP moderator
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Then why didn't you make the request in the public Talkboard forum, just like any other member could?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:47 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
This thread is about Sixt. If the discussion on that subject has now ceased, let's move on.

Moderation policy as has been said dozens of times before is not the TalkBoard's agenda. Please communicate with the Community Manager via PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.