Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Forum activity statistics

Forum activity statistics

Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jackal
At some point, I am interested in visiting Antarctica, most likely on a cruise since that seems to be the only way to get there without working there or chartering a plane yourself.

My first inclination would not be to visit the Cruises forum. To me, the Cruises forum conjures up images of palm trees and buffets and swimming pools on the top of a Princess megaship.

I'd probably post in TravelBuzz, and my question would probably either go unanswered or get a cursory "Huh, interesting, but no idea" post from one or two other people.

Is that the best FlyerTalk can do?

But at this point, no one has seriously suggested closing the Antarctica forum, so we're sort of arguing semantics here. I was simply using it as an example.
I have the same thoughts concerning the Cruises forum (but have never actually viewed it). I would not go there to find information about Antarctica.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by lo2e
I agree with both of you to a certain extent. Yes, it seems like the most popular (only?) way to get there for the average tourist looking for a unique vacation is by cruise, but I don't think the Cruises forum would be my first hunch either, as the Cruises forum would seem to be talking more about the journey and less about the destination (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'll admit that I've never so much as step foot in the Cruises forum). Whereas the Antarctica forum is what to do/see/eat when you're actually there, not on the boat ride.
While naturally the topics in the cruise forum focus on the ships themselves there are often others about the ports of call and destinations.

For that matter the Europe rail forum doesn't just focus on trains and nothing else but also takes in the wider scope of travelling by train and destinations, sights, etc and in the same way I think the cruise forum would be the most appropriate alternate forum for Antartica topis since that's the mode of transportation almost everyone uses to visit that continent.

Maybe it would be your second hunch were such a consolidation to be made.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Great spreadsheet.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:09 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by skchin
Great spreadsheet.
Thanks!

There is one fortunate consequence of the fact that Internet Brands cannot compile customized statistics: Any FT member can compile the only available forum statistics at any time. It only takes about an hour on each of two dates.

Nobody needs to wait for a TalkBoard member to do this. If you want to run the numbers, there's nothing stopping you doing so and posting your opinions in TalkBoard Topics.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<sarcasm>

Whoa - looks like the newly-created Sixt forum might be under-performing? Just 25 posts in the last 6 months?

What does everyone think??

</sarcasm>

Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: Too many
Really great spreadsheet and interesting stats!

I would somewhat agree with the religious forum, almost every post there in the last 3 months has been purely about kosher food. Perhaps a sticky in travel and dining?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:32 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Here's a snapshot of thread and post counts as of today:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ExqTlozN2xYUUE

I will need to make another snapshot in a few weeks to check recent activity. The Texas forum looks very quiet.

Otherwise everything looks pretty much as I would expect.

Last edited by nsx; Feb 11, 2012 at 11:21 pm Reason: link updated
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Here's a snapshot of thread and post counts as of today:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...U16OU1zOElxYUE

I will need to make another snapshot in a few weeks to check recent activity. The Texas forum looks very quiet.

Otherwise everything looks pretty much as I would expect.
Thanks for compiling this. Is there a data entry error for the Hyatt Gold Passport forum? It's listed as having 8,655.8 posts/day. I've never gone to that forum myself, but I'm guessing there's not quite that many Hyatt customers posting that frequently.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:20 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I had an extra zero. Here's the new link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ExqTlozN2xYUUE
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Swiss' numbers look off too...
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:25 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Swiss' numbers look off too...
There doesn't seem to be data from October for Swiss, so the figures are based on there previously being 0 threads/posts (which obviously is not true). So nsx will have to go in and change the formulas for Swiss to reflect the change from the August numbers - if my math is right, there were 175 days between 2/11/12 and 8/20/11, new threads in that time 213, posts/day 16.6. Not at the top of posts/day for specific airline-related forums and not at the bottom either.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps a suggestion of anything below 5 posts a day, and that has had at least 12-18 months as a forum to be considered for removal?

Last edited by Q Shoe Guy; Feb 16, 2012 at 5:13 am
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Any chance we can get some updated statistics? I'd like to see a year-on-year comparison...
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:13 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Any chance we can get some updated statistics? I'd like to see a year-on-year comparison...
Ask and you shall receive!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kE&output=html

If someone can look up and post the creation dates of all the new forums, I'll account for that and compute the posts per day and threads per day for the partial year for all the new forums.

Where counts are negative it means that threads were removed from a forum to create a new forum (e.g. Korea threads were extracted from the Asia forum).

Last edited by nsx; Nov 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm Reason: fixed link
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
i can't see it - I get referred to a google log-in page.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.