Reload this Page >

Motion Passed: Change Coupon Connection Access Requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Change Coupon Connection Access Requirements

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 7:50 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lin821
I was about to lose my mind for not understanding what GUWonder's implying.
+1

The answer to the question has now been made clear several times in several ways by several people.

Of course, there is a difference between not understanding an answer and not liking the answer. My teenagers used to say "You don't understand!!!" when what they clearly meant, whether they were able to admit it or not, is "I don't like the answer!"

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Thanks. I like what you had to say. I even understood it.
Of course, we're actually not in the realm of "understanding" anymore, but something else entirely.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
As long as said FTer behaves, he/she will retain the ability to view, post...
As the vast, vast majority do.

The "Coupon Connection" and the "OMNI/OMNI PR" forums have entry requirements. No other public forums have entry requirements.
The entry requirements for the 2 (or 3 if you count OMNI and OMNI/PR as 2 separate forums) are based on both history in FT (180 days as a member, minimum) and posting history (180 posts, minimum).
No other public forums on FT have any entry requirements.
Perfect!
Old May 17, 2011, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Thanks. I like what you had to say. I even understood it.

Dan

Originally Posted by cblaisd
+1

The answer to the question has now been made clear several times in several ways by several people.

Of course, there is a difference between not understanding an answer and not liking the answer. My teenagers used to say "You don't understand!!!" when what they clearly meant, whether they were able to admit it or not, is "I don't like the answer!"

Can't relate!

Of course, we're actually not in the realm of "understanding" anymore, but something else entirely.

As the vast, vast majority do.

Perfect!
And thank you! I do hope I was correct though about the 180/180 applying to both. This whole thread got my head spinning a bit
Old May 18, 2011, 3:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
No other public forums on FT have any entry requirements.
Public forums may have an exit requirement consisting of making a pest of yourself.
Members discover the exit requirement by trial and error, with the emphasis on error.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
I am new to Flyer Talk (FT) and I agree with the 180 days and 180 posts. You have to have a standard for certain extra features. Of course I have no idea what coupon connection or Omni is, but with time I'm sure I'll figure it out. I've already saved money using FT in my short time and I'm sure I'll save a whole lot more. I look forward to hitting the goal for the extras. (Whatever they may be)

P.S. Please don't change it again until I'm grandfathered.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elkhornne
I am new to Flyer Talk (FT) and I agree with the 180 days and 180 posts. You have to have a standard for certain extra features. Of course I have no idea what coupon connection or Omni is, but with time I'm sure I'll figure it out. I've already saved money using FT in my short time and I'm sure I'll save a whole lot more. I look forward to hitting the goal for the extras. (Whatever they may be)

P.S. Please don't change it again until I'm grandfathered.
Glad to hear you appreciate it, and glad to know you like FT!!

Coupon Connections - a forum where people can trade coupons they may have received that they don't plan on using. (e.g. You got a $500 voucher for a screw-up on AA, but you don't fly AA. You offer that in the Coupon Connection and others will offer you their SWU on UA which is who you fly.)

OMNI - a forum for the discussion of everything not travel related. Just a place to talk about "stuff."
OMNI/PR - a forum to specifically discuss Religion and Politics.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Glad to hear you appreciate it, and glad to know you like FT!!

Coupon Connections - a forum where people can trade coupons they may have received that they don't plan on using. (e.g. You got a $500 voucher for a screw-up on AA, but you don't fly AA. You offer that in the Coupon Connection and others will offer you their SWU on UA which is who you fly.)

OMNI - a forum for the discussion of everything not travel related. Just a place to talk about "stuff."
OMNI/PR - a forum to specifically discuss Religion and Politics.
Thanks for taking time to answer me.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Do note that the original intention of [The] Coupon Connection as envisioned by Randy Petersen was for people to give away items they couldn't use. It was only later that the idea of trading for equal value developed.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
Do note that the original intention of [The] Coupon Connection as envisioned by Randy Petersen was for people to give away items they couldn't use. It was only later that the idea of trading for equal value developed.
Ah, I didn't realize that. I'm still a newbie on FT!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Ah, I didn't realize that. I'm still a newbie on FT!
Oh, I am, too. This was way before my time.

It was brought up (by Randy himself, IIRC) when CC was closed for a time last year.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Some of the early history of Coupon Connection can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7911520-post15.html
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Some of the early history of Coupon Connection can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7911520-post15.html
From your post: "Old-timers will remember that, say, six or so years ago, what a mess Coupon Connection was -- incessant flame wars, cash transactions, "coupons" for everything under the sun..."

History can be used by both sides in the current CC debate. But if we want to go back to the roots as some advocate (those using the privelege argument, and IMO failing to see the market perspective, and the clearly added value of doing so), then definately GCs and $ have a history as trading instruments.

Personally I dont see history helping us anything. The world has moved on. Lets see what benefits (most members of ) FT today.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Gold), Marriott (Platinum), IHG (Gold), Hyatt (Gold), Avis First
Looks like I will be doing alot of posting to catch up. I am 180 days old, but no where near 180 posts. Yikes.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:23 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by designflaw
Looks like I will be doing alot of posting to catch up. I am 180 days old, but no where near 180 posts. Yikes.
I don't recommend doing that.

Posting for the sake of gaining access to Coupon Connection is an excellent way to get your Coupon Connection access revoked for a long time.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:27 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
I don't recommend doing that.

Posting for the sake of gaining access to Coupon Connection is an excellent way to get your Coupon Connection access revoked for a long time.
Spiff, in fairness to designflaw, your warning probably needs a proviso. The goal is to minimize frivolous postings as a means to access a restricted forum. If designflaw is talking "travel" and participating in threads following community standards, who cares if he posts once a week, once a day, or once an hour. Content is what matters.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Moderator2
The goal is to minimize frivolous postings as a means to access a restricted forum.
Can you really minimize frivolous postings in a lounge thread, though? Isn't that what they're pretty much designed for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.