Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: Should a Commercial For-Profit Forum Be Created on FlyerTalk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal: Should a Commercial For-Profit Forum Be Created on FlyerTalk?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:11 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

I just sent a short private message to IB-Dick asking him to respond to the technology question pertaining to this proposal, and that there was no hurry for him to reply. I also invited him to post his thoughts in this thread.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:05 am

I like the idea of the commercial forum(s). I would like to see a place for non-travel related services. I will admit that I am not unbiased in this - I have a small home based business I wouldn't mind posting about here. However, that is not the main reason I like the idea. If I have to spend money on anything, all things being mostly equal, I try to give my money to someone I know. And, while I obviously don't know everyone on FT, I have gotten so much help on various issues from the FT community, that I feel supporting anyone in the community would be a good idea.

I also like having a minimum length of time and number of posts before you can advertise your service. I could even see a graduated system with more time/posts needed the less travel related your service. For instance travel related services 180/180 mentioned before, and for non-travel related services 240/200. I doubt any spammers are going to go through that in order to advertise their products.

If we do allow posting of services, I think we should explicitly forbid pyramid schemes, anything that is a recruiting scheme, and anything else that is frequently open to abuse. Perhaps even having all commercial posts having to be approved before they can be posted.

Jaelle
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
However, I am not certain as to whether or not the vBulletin bulletin board software which currently powers FlyerTalk is technically capable of imposing minimum requirements in order to access a sub-forum, or “child” forum, as opposed to a main forum, or “parent” forum.
This is completely possible to limit access to subforums based on post count or how long a user has been a member of the site.

Last edited by IB-Dick; Apr 25, 2011 at 11:03 am Reason: adding clarity.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

While there is certainly by any means no hurry or urgency, I was wondering if members of the TalkBoard were still discussing this topic.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It's not been discussed recently but isn't off the table. I know I've got some homework to do, especially given there are multiple ideas being floated. But I also think the OP needs to do some homework as well. Some concerns have been raised in this thread which also need to be address.

I will say that for me due to upcoming long holiday I probably won't look at this much for a month, but doesn't mean other TB members can't or other FTers, and I'll try to follow the discussion inbtwn sightseeing in Europe.

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:52 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It's not been discussed recently but isn't off the table. I know I've got some homework to do, especially given there are multiple ideas being floated. But I also think the OP needs to do some homework as well. Some concerns have been raised in this thread which also need to be address.

Cheers.
The above does not represent my views, and hence should not be read as representing the whole of TB.

My views are:

Apr 22, 11 8:01 am
My personal view is that a Commercial/For-Profit area would be a useful addition as it would sweep up all of the commercial sites that post on FT. I am unsure that a majority of TB would support this so I fear it is a dead duck at the moment. Come November, this would be a good question to ask Candidates IMHO.

Last edited by Markie; Jun 2, 2011 at 11:59 pm
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:02 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I do hope the Talkboard give due consideration to a "Flyertalk Community Marketplace".

Perhaps it could be a subforum under Coupon Connection and hold the same entry requirements as that forum including the requirement that members participate fully in the broader Flyertalk to keep "membership" in that forum. In essence, apply the exact same rules for this Marketplace Forum as we do for Coupon Connection.

I think our members have so much they could offer to other members broader than just travel services. I know I have taken advantage of generosity from several members and know others could benefit as well.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:30 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
It may prove to be helpful in keeping 'mature' FT members from drifting away too. Any portion that keeps a member continuously connected to Flyertalk also acts as a tool to keep that person and their knowledge base close. Please look at this as a value added aspect, where the value is both to the members and FT as well.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
New member chiming in

Firstly, I'd like to say that I was intimidated to post in this thread seeing that everyone here are senior members with XX,XXX post counts! However, I like this idea too much to stay silent, so I hope all the veteran members can give my newbie POV a chance or simply take it as a "fresh" perspective on FT's potential. (...putting flame suit on)

...ozstamps deals with stamps. Dovster is a writer. Gaucho100K sells wine from Argentina. If I have a need for their products and services, why should I not contact them first and give them the right of first refusal?

Although I do know the occupations of these and other FlyerTalk members, there are many, many more FlyerTalk members of whom I have no idea what products and services they offer. I have no idea what is the occupation of kokonutz, for example. He might offer a product or service which I might need. I met him very briefly at the Freddie Awards in Washington, D.C. and — assuming he lives there — I have a brother who lives there as well. Why should I not think about him first and refer him to my brother if he has a need for whatever product or service he can offer?

In general, I would rather give the aforementioned FlyerTalk members my money than to a complete stranger. That is the premise behind the idea of this proposed forum: to support each other and strengthen the FlyerTalk community.
I wholeheartedly agree with the above. I've frequented other forums (car, photography, sports) for its particular topic, and all of them have their own marketplace that serves the forum's members. Yet, the FT community has a unique characteristic/advantage over all the other forums: its member population is borderless (both literally and figuratively). We have people from all over the world, and regardless of country of residence, our members travel... we see a lot of the world, and are exposed to broader opportunities and ideas. In addition, without going in depth about the FT demographics, people who travel frequently (whether for business or leisure) are typically more educated, have some level of financial success, and are smarter consumers... but I digress. So, just as Canarsie said above, there are a limitless number of FT members who have products or services that other FT members would be interested in or may benefit from.

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I think it's due time that Flyertalk had a "Marketplace." I fully support the idea and encourage Talk Board to give the idea their full consideration. ^^^
There should be a clear distinction between a "Marketplace" and a "Commercial Forum". A Marketplace would be a place for members to trade among themselves, anything from travel vouchers, old camera lenses, watches, stuff... used or new. But a Commercial Forum, on the other hand, would be a place for business transactions between vendors and customers.

Originally Posted by wharvey
I actually like the idea... what if it was a private forum that required the 180/180 entry requirements as we now require for OMNI?

I know I have given business to a few FTers over the years... and believe this actually would enhance the community.
+1.

I'm just going to run with Canarsie's idea and brainstorm a bit... (this IS an open discussion right?): There must be qualifaction criteria for access. Perhaps the criteria for Marketplace peer-to-peer trading can follow the standard 180/180 model. However, for Commercial Vendors, I do feel there would need to be a separate, more stringent qualification process (to protect the member customers and maintain the quality of the commercial offerings). Maybe even go as far as requiring a marketing fee as part of being a "Certified Vendor"... additional revenue for FT!

To keep this "FT Commercial Forum" from becoming just another SPAM bucket, how about requiring the commercial offerings to have some element of "FT exclusivity". Just hypothesizing: Gaucho100k sells Argentinian wine, which is something he could market and announce openly and for free elsewhere. However, to post a deal in the "FT Commercial Forum", the offering would have some discount or perk that would only be available to the FT members. (Gaucho100k, if this post offends you or your business, please let me know and I'll remove it.)

In the long run, this setup could benefit everyone. Member Vendors get access to a pre-qualified, generally affluent customer pool and Member Customers get access to exclusive deals while supporting other members of the FT community.^
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:21 am
Original Poster

In all the years in which I have been a FlyerTalk member, I do not recall seeing a TalkBoard as active as this one.

I thought I would bring this proposal back to the forefront for some thoughtful discussion and possible consideration, as no decision has ever been made — to my knowledge, anyway — regarding this proposal.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
In all the years in which I have been a FlyerTalk member, I do not recall seeing a TalkBoard as active as this one.
I know! We are actually having to WORK this term! Not that that's a bad thing.

I thought I would bring this proposal back to the forefront for some thoughtful discussion and possible consideration, as no decision has ever been made — to my knowledge, anyway — regarding this proposal.
Let me as well direct your attention to the chain of discussion started by my post above in this thread breaking down the various proposals and options: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...l#post16265582

I am certainly hopeful that we can move FlyerTalk forward in the modern world of social media and provide a home for these kinds of topics.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also lend my support to this motion as the internet, internet based communities continue to evolve. There should be a proper home for such discussion.....
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:58 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I would like to see TalkBoard tackle this, along with the topic of referrals in signatures or messages to "PM me for a referral," since those are for-profit as well. IMO, referrals should be done in S.P.A.M., in conga fashion. Should one not participate in the conga, they should not be allowed to list their referral in their signature, potentially earning several referrals, when those who play by the rules in S.P.A.M. can only earn one referral. Same concept for the "PM for me a referral," that is very popular, when there is a conga for those sites in S.P.A.M.

I would think that those who were concerned about people "gaming" their post counts by using OMNI games should support a change like that, since currently, many people are "gaming" the referrals.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'll take it one step further than Kipper - I support a commercial forum and believe that commercial messages of any kind in signature lines should then be against the TOS.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:15 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I'll take it one step further than Kipper - I support a commercial forum and believe that commercial messages of any kind in signature lines should then be against the TOS.
We agree again? Ugh--what is happening here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.