Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Restrict Access to OMNI and OMNI/PR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Internet Brands plans to implement this change on Friday, March 18. This gives time for an announcement to be made in Omni/Omni PR so that those who have fewer than 180 posts and 180 days on FlyerTalk know why they will be losing their access on that date.
YAY!!!!! Thank you Carol.

I only wish the waiting time wasn't quite as long, but I"m not complaining!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
I can't speak for every other member but I'm very, very happy with the decision. Might even call me ecstatic.

But it was a LOT of work trying to keep the Barbarians behind the gate. And I'm glad that a lot of that work will no longer be necessary. We'll still have some issues but they'll be with known entities rather than drive-by posters.
Obviously a great point that the majority of us do not have to deal with so, with that perspective I certainly can understand the new/old rules. Congratulations to the FlyerTalk Board for taking a stand and working to make FT a unique and beneficial resource.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Big .

Any restriction diminishes us all.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Markie
I am however concerned that we'll see in increased nastiness in OMNI when people know that their posts will no longer be trawled by Google. But I guess we'll see.
I am active in serval sites that have restricted access. None of them, other than the singular US politics ones) have the vitriol that has been in OMNI. I speculate that much of that is due to the unique ability of Americans to violently argue about positions in which they have no discernible difference.

At FT I suspect withdrawing the external non-travel commentary might well calm the situation somewhat. I hope so. Personally I cannot se much difference between 90/90 and 180/180.

Nobody knows with certainty but I hope this will be good. I think it wil.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:13 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I'm pretty ambivalent about the change, but I wish they stopped using OMNI/PR as a dumping ground for posts started by posters who cannot post there.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by PG
I'm pretty ambivalent about the change, but I wish they stopped using OMNI/PR as a dumping ground for posts started by posters who cannot post there.
When Omni is no longer accessible by those under 180/180, threads started by users who are not Omni eligible will be locked, not moved. This is how Coupon Connection works currently.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:14 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
When Omni is no longer accessible by those under 180/180, threads started by users who are not Omni eligible will be locked, not moved. This is how Coupon Connection works currently.
What does Omni eligible mean? I know at least two posters who have 1K plus posts but cannot post in OMNI/PR.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by PG
What does Omni eligible mean? I know at least two posters who have 1K plus posts but cannot post in OMNI/PR.
Some people have been permanently masked from seeing Omni, either by their own request, or because they caused too much trouble.

As well, are the mods keeping an eye out on people with very few posts in non-Omni forums who are suddenly going on posting runs to keep access??

I know I just spotted one. Suddenly, after almost 6 months, they have something to say in other forums, and they're bouncing around too so it's not that obvious
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:46 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by PG
Omni eligible will mean 180/180, just as it was before.

Originally Posted by Mary2e

As well, are the mods keeping an eye out on people with very few posts in non-Omni forums who are suddenly going on posting runs to keep access??
TalkBoard doesn't make policy for the moderators, but I am sure those going on posting runs for any restricted forum will be watched for.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Some people have been permanently masked from seeing Omni, either by their own request, or because they caused too much trouble.

99.9999999% because they caused "too much trouble".

.00000001 % by "their own request".

Just sayin'....

I know I just spotted one.
You're a world-class Troll Spotter™ and we appreciate your help and that of several other OMNI regulars.

It certainly makes the FT experience much better for all of us when everybody pitches in.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Spiff
...I am sure those going on posting runs for any restricted forum will be watched for....
Please also see here.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:59 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cholula
99.9999999% because they caused "too much trouble".

.00000001 % by "their own request".

Just sayin'....
So why not lock their threads instead of dumping those threads in a forum where they cannot post?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by PG
So why not lock their threads instead of dumping those threads in a forum where they cannot post?
Maybe because it's late & I'm tired, but this post makes no sense to me.

AFAIK there are no threads being 'dumped' into OMNI. If some threads in OMNI currently exist, they'll still exist even if some posters will no longer have access to them (until they get to the 180/180). Locking a thread still doesn't make it non-googable, which is one of (not the only) reasons people had a problem w/ OMNI being open.

FWIW - if there are any ' post runs' on other forums for folk who want to qualify for OMNI, I doubt they'll last long after the masking goes into effect.

PS - If someone has 1K posts but doesn't qualify for OMNI, that means they haven't been on for 180 days & odds are their 1K post counts aren't from contributing per se to the 'core' forums but more likely the counting games or lounge threads.

Cheers.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I must say I'm not a fan. I lunch at FT almost every day and Omni is my second stop. But I guess that's the sort of activity that the board is trying to discourage. I've not been here long enough to witness the poor behavior on omni but I can imagine scenarios in which the decision makes sense. Ok I feel heard now.

Anyway, what I really wanted to know was ...

When those of us without 180/180 get locked out of omni does that mean we lose access to posts we've made on omni? I'd rather not spend my spring break wading through my old omni posts to copy the ones I might decide are woth keeping. Nor do I want to spend hours searching for legitimate opportunities to get another 30 or so posts.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
AFAIK there are no threads being 'dumped' into OMNI.
There's occasional threads from Travel Safety/Security that get moved over to the OMNI/PR side. Here's an example of one from a one-month member that he would not be able to view if after it's moved there with the new OMNI guidelines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.