Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Restrict Access to OMNI and OMNI/PR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Excellent news. Thanks, Talkboard ^
Old Mar 10, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by nsx
I believe that IB intends to routinely approve whatever we request unless and until we demonstrate that we have lost our minds.

The biggest constraint is that what we request needs to be within the capabilities of the current software.
This is almost as much good news as the vote. Thanks to you all.

It would not be a waste of time for those of us who are inclined to be opinionated to spend some time becoming familiar with the software limitations. No matter how useful the idea it is futile if it cannot be implemented. BTW, most of my clients do not like to do that either. It is easier to tilt at windmills than it is to find a way to do what needs to be done without a complete systems overhaul.

I apologize for the previous paragraph if it seems hostile. I do not intend it to be so. I am trying to be constructive.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:15 am

What a disgraceful vote and a dark day for Flyertalk.

TalkBoard (with the exception of Markie) should be ashamed of themselves.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I do believe the software can handle it. It used to, and it currently does with coupon connection.

I just want to know how long it will take to enact it

Thanks TB ^^^
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by B747-437B

I can't speak for every other member but I'm very, very happy with the decision. Might even call me ecstatic.

We've corrected what I've always thought was a mistake to begin with. I wasn't adamantly opposed when the OMNI gates were first opened but I did express some misgivings.

Those misgivings magnified when OMNI soon became the go-to forum for every Internet troll, dupe-handle artist and bad actor out there. Members didn't see much of this because we have some pretty sophisticated software that allows us to deal with most of them behind the scenes.

But it was a LOT of work trying to keep the Barbarians behind the gate. And I'm glad that a lot of that work will no longer be necessary. We'll still have some issues but they'll be with known entities rather than drive-by posters.

The other reason I'm happy is that I'm somewhat of a FT purist and I feel that OMNI should be a background forum that only appears after you've contributed to the miles and points forums. I've never felt that it should be a primary destination unto itself.

In closing I'd like to thank my fellow TB members for their overwhelming positive support of this motion.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Cholula
I can't speak for every other member but I'm very, very happy with the decision.
You can and have spoken well for this member, Cholula as I completely agree on this decision. ^
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:34 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'm pretty happy with this! While I think some of the members who have demonstrated their commitment to the FT community but who are not quite at the required levels will be missed until they reach those levels, I'm thrilled that it means less "Barbarians" making it through the gate.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:00 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

Oh well.

Can't please all of the people all of the time. And can't please some of the people any time.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:50 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by PTravel
Thank you TalkBoard!

A big ^ to you.
Agreed ^. So how long before the restriction/masking takes place? (just curious)
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:59 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PTravel
Thank you TalkBoard!

A big ^ to you.
The moon must be full! We agree

(Despite the purported ignominy of the day )
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The ironic part is that most of us posting on this thread meet the qualifications, so we'll still be able to see OMNI. LOL. I'll ask if IB can give us an update when it's implemented.

Cheers.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 3:57 pm
Community Director Emerita

Internet Brands plans to implement this change on Friday, March 18. This gives time for an announcement to be made in Omni/Omni PR so that those who have fewer than 180 posts and 180 days on FlyerTalk know why they will be losing their access on that date.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 4:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Thank you.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Thank you, TB! ^

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The ironic part is that most of us posting on this thread meet the qualifications, so we'll still be able to see OMNI. LOL.
I wouldn't call it ironic though.

For those of us who have earned the OMNI privilege, we were/are able to "witness" and compare the changes in OMNI since the open-gate-era. Let me put it this way. If those changes had been "adorable", OMNIites wouldn't have been so unhappy and voicing to reinstate 180/180 rule.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Internet Brands plans to implement this change on Friday, March 18.
Carol, thanks for the "progress" update!

Last edited by lin821; Mar 10, 2011 at 5:19 pm
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL

Thanks for the support, however if you read my posts you will see I was in favour of a 90/90 rule rather than unrestricted access. I felt the 180/180 was too restrictive and wanted to see whether the 90/90 requirement could achieve the same objectives without excluding as many members.

I am however concerned that we'll see in increased nastiness in OMNI when people know that their posts will no longer be trawled by Google. But I guess we'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.