Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Restrict Access to OMNI and OMNI/PR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:15 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
I strongly favor this as well. It would certainly bring me back to FT.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
"SPILL IN AISLE THIRTEEN!"

Guess I'll need to close off access for a while why I mop up the mess.

People can go back to perusing Aisle Thirteen. Popcorn and hot dogs are on sale this week.

Last edited by Moderator2; Feb 27, 2011 at 11:20 am
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by nsx
IMHO, if OMNI were eliminated people would make off-topic posts all over FT. It's better to put similar content in one place. This is the same reason any forum is created or maintained.

The access question is a separate issue, and on that issue FT members have spoken quite clearly in the TalkBoard Topics forum: They liked it better when it was restricted to 180/180.
Yes, there is problems lots of members who posting in OMNI is a against the personal attacks. I do not appreciate it for members behaviors who used in OMNI and I don't likes the politics or religious. The rules will be changes. They have to stays on the topics and not try to off-topics thread is not permitted. They will be violations of the rules. It was too many people who posted in OMNI/PR is not right positions. If some members who bashing on the thread is not allowed and it will result banned from FTs for 30 days due to violations of the forums rules. IT will given a issue warning or deletions the posts. Members won't have access in OMNI unless moderators will decide to lifts bans for 90 days after his suspensions is expirations.

Obviously, IF some member will try be respected to others and not try to padding the post count will be prohibited. They will be reset the post count back to zeros. I think the post count will put on restrictions list is 200 posts & 90 days will be existed.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I'm a no vote, and posted my reasons over in Omni, but since my arguments are mostly based on free speech, open participation, and such trivialities, I won't post them here, as I'm told it won't matter. And I'm hoping that doesn't get me banned too.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by flyinbob
I'm a no vote, and posted my reasons over in Omni, but since my arguments are mostly based on free speech, open participation, and such trivialities, I won't post them here, as I'm told it won't matter. And I'm hoping that doesn't get me banned too.
I don't speak for TB but, personally, I welcome all points of view on every issue.

As a suggestion I'd be more inclined to make your reasons pro or con known in this thread than in the OMNI thread although you are welcome to post in both.

Not sure how many TB'ers are monitoring that OMNI thread but I know they all track this forum.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well, in case there are any TB members that don't regularly go to Omni, but would be interested in input from those who are posting in that thread, here's the thread. It's in the Omni-Lite portion of Omni (not to be confused w/ Omni PR). So far most seem to support the restrictions.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...ni-access.html

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
I think people with less then 68 posts should not be allowed to post in OMNI.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
Moved by nsx and seconded by bhatnasx:
FlyerTalk members have expressed concerns about the lack of privacy of their posts on OMNI and OMNI/PR, including their accessibility to search bots and to suspended members. Members overwhelmingly prefer a more secure environment in which they will feel more free to speak.

The TalkBoard recommends that access to OMNI, OMNI/PR, and all future OMNI forums be restricted to logged-in members who have been members at least 180 days and whose post count is at least 180.
This vote will close on Mar 10, 2011 at 6:56 PM Pacific Time or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:
The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion. Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback.

A motion shall pass if two-thirds of TalkBoard members participating in that vote vote ‘yes.’
I am for this, but I find it very, very interesting that the TalkBoard was unwilling to make this recommendation until Randy left the building. It's not like this was a new problem.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:28 am

This has nothing to do w/ Randy from the TB perspective, but is being discussed now because a member started a thread on 2/5 asking us to consider reinstating the restrictions. People chimed in, we discussed it in the private TB forum, and brought it up as a motion.

Here's the thread from 2/5:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...d-time-ft.html

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
This has nothing to do w/ Randy from the TB perspective, but is being discussed now because a member started a thread on 2/5 asking us to consider reinstating the restrictions. People chimed in, we discussed it in the private TB forum, and brought it up as a motion.

Here's the thread from 2/5:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...d-time-ft.html

Cheers.
This was asked for over and over and over and over again over the last couple of years and TB wouldn't touch it because Randy made a unilateral decision against it. One thing I've always disliked about the TB is that we usually only see activity when there's a chance that a motion will pass. It would be much more transparent, absent having the TB forum opened read-only, for proposals here made by ordinary members to actually be proposed and seconded so that we can see where TB members actually stand on these proposals. I'm guessing that will never happen, unfortunately.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:16 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by RichMSN
This was asked for over and over and over and over again over the last couple of years and TB wouldn't touch it because Randy made a unilateral decision against it. One thing I've always disliked about the TB is that we usually only see activity when there's a chance that a motion will pass. It would be much more transparent, absent having the TB forum opened read-only, for proposals here made by ordinary members to actually be proposed and seconded so that we can see where TB members actually stand on these proposals. I'm guessing that will never happen, unfortunately.
Agree.

I can't remember what the issue was (might have been this one...maybe a current TB member can look it up and remind me), but one time I made a motion that said "The TB recommends that Randy reconsider his unilateral decision that..."

Boy, was THAT idea shot down HARD.

Oh, I remembered: it was OMNI Post Counts:

Long dicussion.

Voted down. As I knew it would be.

Both now locked, naturally!

At least we knew were our TB members stood!!!!

Last edited by kokonutz; Mar 3, 2011 at 8:27 am
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:33 am

Well you'll always know where I stand. Granted, I've only been on FT for a few months but I've pretty much engaged the entire time.

BTW - for those who say TB is always no, now it's a TB only acts when it will pass. Make up your minds

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:23 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well you'll always know where I stand. Granted, I've only been on FT for a few months but I've pretty much engaged the entire time.

BTW - for those who say TB is always no, now it's a TB only acts when it will pass. Make up your minds

Cheers.
I think the last year or so's 'no proposal shall be considered unless it is sure to pass' was implemented because folks were tired of the minority on the TB putting forward proposals we KNEW would lose just to force TB members to go on the record as opposing proposed change after proposed change.

So the answer is both.

Since you have joined the TB I have seen some movement away from both the culture of no AND only acting with super majorities as well as more of a willingness on the part of the TB to engage posters. Me likey (although I am SURE the timing is just a coincidence... ).
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I think the last year or so's 'no proposal shall be considered unless it is sure to pass' was implemented because folks were tired of the minority on the TB putting forward proposals we KNEW would lose just to force TB members to go on the record as opposing proposed change after proposed change.
It only takes 2 to force this to happen. Apparently when you left the TB, there were no longer 2.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:58 am

So getting back to the topic at hand , you've both said you support the restrictions.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.