Wiki Posts
Search

One more thing: TB Term Limits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Was CABAL the word you were thinking of?

This general member would like to see as mentioned above , limits put in place and I would up the ante and make them retroactive!^ This would ensure a renewal of the talk board !
Nope. Just thought of it - clique, inner closed circle, etc. Not cartel or cabal.

I probably wouldn't support retroactive, although I would most likely support a break between serving as is done w/ some professional organizations to which I belong (and have served on their boards).

Originally Posted by B747-437B
I don't view serving on TalkBoard as working for IB (I've never had any interaction with any IB employees) but rather working for the community. I'm happy to give a little bit of time on a voluntary basis to the community that has given me so much in return. YMMV.
Agree w/ B747-437B.

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree w/ B747-437B.

Cheers.
Agreed as well!

This is how I sort of look at it...I'm here because I care about the community & I enjoy this community.

Pretend that IB is the government. Pretend that you live in a particular neighborhood. People participate in Neighborhood Watch programs or Community Cleanup days...why to give back to the community & make it a better place.

I don't see me as feeding the IB coffers - they're not charging me for this service & I'm not charging them for mine. Are they making money? Maybe - but as long as they're interested in member input, I'm happy to provide as this is a community that has benefited me & I've made some amazing friends & met some wonderful people through this community...

Now, as for term limits - I'm with the folks that think the market should decide - I'm happy to volunteer my service & view myself as an engaged member. Out of the 4 people that were voted into office, this past election, I was in "4th place" - had I not been voted in, I would have been happy as the community selected the people they want to represent them.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
And presumably if the community decides that they prefer term limits you (and presumably ofther TB members) will be ok w/ that, given we represent the community. I realize you can't speak for other TB members, but I know I would.

I also know that I think it should be offered up to the FT community for discussion when the time is right, as well as the TB, and I will promote that.

For what it's worth & it sounds weird given I'm now a TB member, but for the most part I don't have a dog in this hunt. I'm fine either way.

I've served on professional associations' boards that did have a xx year on, yy year off before running for zz time again. And it worked for those groups - and believe me, they had a lot more at stake than this BB does. We do have to put some things into perspective.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Some companies absolutely require even their highest performing employees to take a vacation every year because it provides the employee with perspective and ultimately increases efficiency.
Weak analogy. We're not a company and our volunteer advisory panel doesn't spend upwards of 60 hours a week in joint sessions.

Originally Posted by Cholula
While I voluntarily term-limited myself in the previous TB election after serving two terms, I don't think this should be legislated.

Let the voters decide who they want serving on TalkBoard.
Hear hear!

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
In the interim, it would be interesting to hear from regular FTers and former TB members on their thoughts re: term limits.
Dunno if I tally as a regular FTer in your book but I'm of the same mind as Cholula -- don't arbitrarily limit voters' choices.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree 100% on term limits. Votes are not given to those most suitable, they are given to those most popular. Those that post the most, post to a blog or moderate are obviously the most active on the board, and those names are the ones that get the attention.

Limit to two terms, and even consider limiting the number of "positions" a member can hold on Flyertalk.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I don't view serving on TalkBoard as working for IB (I've never had any interaction with any IB employees) but rather working for the community. I'm happy to give a little bit of time on a voluntary basis to the community that has given me so much in return. YMMV.
Agree 100%.

Originally Posted by ScottC
Agree 100% on term limits. Votes are not given to those most suitable, they are given to those most popular. Those that post the most, post to a blog or moderate are obviously the most active on the board, and those names are the ones that get the attention.

Limit to two terms, and even consider limiting the number of "positions" a member can hold on Flyertalk.
Really? I can't speak for others, but I was named the runner-up well before I was even approached about being a moderator, I post to no [currently active, worth-reading] blog, and I'm not an FT Evangelist. And I can guarantee you that at the time I ran for TalkBoard, virtually no one in the top, say, 5 forums on FlyerTalk had ever heard of me.

All that said, I'm not necessarily opposed to term limits.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:01 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Spiff
Now you're really impugning me! Try Ron Paul.
I cannot compare you to Ron Paul on the issue of term limits. Because you are nothing like him.

Ron Paul supports term limits. You oppose them.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
Let the voters decide who they want serving on TalkBoard.
The problem with this IMHO is that voters see name recognition with the same people running and serving year after year. If FT members are not aware of some candidates, it may be easier to vote for who they recognize. There may be a lot of talented FT members who would like to run for TB but hesitate to do so because they may feel there is no chance they will win against established TBers.

In all the non-profits I have worked for there were term limits with 4 years maximum and then a break for Board members. It allowed other members of to serve and contribute to the leadership of their organization.

While there has been discussion on the relevance of the TB , it would be nice to see other FT members serve.

Fresh perspectives after all.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by gdeluca
The problem with this IMHO is that voters see name recognition with the same people running and serving year after year. If FT members are not aware of some candidates, it may be easier to vote for who they recognize. There may be a lot of talented FT members who would like to run for TB but hesitate to do so because they may feel there is no chance they will win against established TBers.
I don't disagree with you but how does this differ from, say, a national political election?

There were undoubtedly tens of thousands of Americans better qualified to be President than the several candidates who ran in the last election. But they didn't run and weren't elected because people didn't know who they were.

Folks vote for who they know and who they trust. It's been that way since the beginning of time and erecting term limit barriers is not going to correct this. Folks are still going to vote for who they know and trust.

And just "being known" is no certain pass to getting on TB. I knew a lot of folks in the last election and some of them did not get my vote nor the vote of very many others.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
Folks vote for who they know and who they trust. It's been that way since the beginning of time and erecting term limit barriers is not going to correct this. Folks are still going to vote for who they know and trust.
I don't disagree to your point here. However, if there were term limits it would give others a chance to serve. I feel the TB over the years has done a tremendous job, and sometimes thanklessly so.

Nonetheless, if others are allowed to serve then that expands the TB perspective and gives less well-known FTers a chance to give back to their much beloved community. It is possible to elect less well-known members who will then prove themselves to be capable and trusted.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

I don't disagree with you but how does this differ from, say, a national political election?

There were undoubtedly tens of thousands of Americans better qualified to be President than the several candidates who ran in the last election. But they didn't run and weren't elected because people didn't know who they were.

And just "being known" is no certain pass to getting on TB. I knew a lot of folks in the last election and some of them did not get my vote nor the vote of very many others.
I think the more apt comparison is to professional associations than national elections. And most of those have term limited board positions in order to maximize participation and new ideas.

Governance literature tends to reinforce the idea of fixed terms as a “best practice” for not-for-profit boards after doing a pro-con analysis.

Here's a pretty good example of a pros and cons list that steers most folks to support term limits on boards:

By: BoardSource
Many boards find that setting term limits can be beneficial. The following are some advantages of a term limit policy:

•The board has the possibility of working with active community members who can devote only a few years to board service.
•Bringing diversity onto the board is easier.
•The board has a built-in balance of continuity and turnover.
•Passive, ineffective, or troublesome board members can be more easily rotated off.
•Board members experience a better rotation of committee assignments.
•A regular infusion of fresh ideas and new perspectives is brought onto the board.
•The board gains a regular awareness and pays attention to the changing group dynamics.
•Limits present an opportunity for the board and the retiring board member to reassess a mutual willingness to continue working together with the possibility of enlarging the circle of committed supporters by keeping retired board members involved.

Disadvantages of term limits
The downside to having terms limits can mean:
•the loss of expertise and organizational memory;
•the board spends more time dedicated to recruitment and orientation; and
•additional efforts are needed to keep the group cohesive.

Disadvantages of not having term limits
Boards without a term limit policy can experience:
•stagnation if no change occurs among the board members;
•perpetual concentration of power within a small group;
•intimidation of the occasional new member;
•tiredness, boredom, and loss of commitment by the board; and
•loss of connection to the constituency due to a change in demographics or environmental factors
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Here's a pretty good example of a pros and cons list that steers most folks to support term limits on boards:
Thanks.

That's a thought-provoking list.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
So did Strom Thurmond. One of the funniest political memories I have was watching a Strom Thurmond stump speech in 1996.

Now, mind you that at the time the man had served over 40 years in the Senate already.

He said, "I believe in smaller government... and term limits."

And as if that weren't enough, without a touch of irony he continued, "And you're gonna vote for me, because I can bring more money to South Carolina in the next six years.. than my opponent could in 60!"

I pledge that I have very little in common with Strom Thurmond. I suspect we all support term limits at some outer bounds, adn the only question is of degree or length.

See, Strom Thurmond really shouldn't have served through January 2003...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
My suggestion would be 2 terms (4 years) followed by at least 2 years back in the muck with the rest of us.
Can we expect this topic to come up for a vote with the new Talk Board?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Can we expect this topic to come up for a vote with the new Talk Board?
Elections have consequences! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.