Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposed amend TB guidelines: TB members take leave of absence from moderator duty

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposed amend TB guidelines: TB members take leave of absence from moderator duty

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I currently don't have a strong opinion on this subject matter. As a former moderator & a TB member, I don't see as much moderator influence as noted. I will, however, say that I feel that if a moderated forum is up for discussion, the moderator's viewpoint is often taken into consideration by many TB members (but not in all cases - for example, the logged in restriction recommendation for Mileage Run).

Although I'm not really in a position to make this recommendation as TB has no impact on moderation, I think a better proposal would be that moderators take a mandatory leave of absence or sabbatical every 18-24 months for a 3-6 month period to remember what it's like to actually be a member.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I don't see as much moderator influence as noted.
This has been my experience as well.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by Markie
The current TB hasn't even been able to appoint a new liaison with the Mod Team since Spiff became VP! I think this tells you something about the view of TB about the Mod Team and liaison.
Respectfully, here's what our guidelines say about liason to the Mod team:

Originally Posted by TalkBoard Guidelines
The President will also serve as or appoint anouther TalkBoard member as a liaison between the TalkBoard and the moderator corps.
So the TalkBoard has not been deadlocked or inert here.

That we had a contested election for President of TB (and VP) this year should indicate that there is discontent about the way things have been run.
Again, quite respectfully, both were settled on the first ballot. In the former case that required support from 2/3rds rather than simply a majority. And this was achieved in a 3-way race.

This wasn't the first contested TalkBoard President election. Two years ago it was contested as well.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
If one member of TB says there is discontent about the leadership of TB, the fact that someone won the election doesn't mean that that discontent is magically resolved. It just means one person defeated another. If some of the TB members are unhappy with the direction of TB, how TB affairs are handled likely needs to be changed for that discontent to be resolved. Now, it might not be a majority who are unhappy... but all the election does is elect someone not make everyone happy with the result.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by gleff
Again, quite respectfully, both were settled on the first ballot. In the former case that required support from 2/3rds rather than simply a majority. And this was achieved in a 3-way race.
This wasn't the first contested TalkBoard President election. Two years ago it was contested as well.
Respectfully Gleff, having said the above, what are your thoughts on the OP of this thread? As this proposal would no doubt affect you considering you are Senior Moderator(appointed), Talk Board President(elected), and power FT blogger(commercial)?!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL

So, unlike in previous years I take it that you have decided that you have enough time to liaise with the Mod Corps I assume. Well that's great to know and I look forward to hearing how that's working out.

In terms of the vote, absolutely respect that you got elected on the first round - well done. I'll be making a motion pretty soon to ensure that the elections are held in a more structured as the current guidelines don't lay down how elections should be conducted in the cases of contested elections in very much detail.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:00 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Excellent proposal, kokonutz, but Spiff will block it, like everything else.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
So, unlike in previous years I take it that you have decided that you have enough time to liaise with the Mod Corps I assume. Well that's great to know and I look forward to hearing how that's working out.
Except for last year the TalkBoard Vice President also served as liason to the moderator group, and the TalkBoard Vice President has again agreed to do so.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Respectfully Gleff, having said the above, what are your thoughts on the OP of this thread? As this proposal would no doubt affect you considering you are Senior Moderator(appointed), Talk Board President(elected), and power FT blogger(commercial)?!
Not sure what the 'commercial' reference is? (Other than that Randy sells ad space ont he blog)

But as to the issue at hand I don't see any conflict between serving as a moderator and as a TalkBoard member. Quite the contrary,

(1) greater time spent with Flyertalk as both a member and as a volunteer is a signal of significant dedication

(2) it provides wonderful perspective in making judgments that TalkBoard members are wont to do.

(3) it's precisely folks that have demonstrated commitment and competence in one form that you want to ask to do so in others

If you want something done, ask a busy person. If you want the best for the community, ask someone who has demonstrated commitment tot the community.

That doesn't mean necessarily moderators, of course. But I don't see an inherent conflict between the two roles.

That having been said, I'm more than comfortable with asking folks to take a break from both roles every now and then. Which is a different issue entirely.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by attorney28
Excellent proposal, kokonutz, but Spiff will block it, like everything else.
I can hardly claim the ability, past or present to "block everything". 1 person, 1 vote.

If you don't want moderators representing you, then you have the choice not to vote for them. @:-)
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm back from travel, I actually have to do work for a paying client (novel thought), and I'm sure I'll take some heat so I should probably not post before my upcoming conf call overseas, but I will..

I'm still not getting the mod/TB black helicopter thing. And again - I am NOT a mod. For the record I have not been paid by mods, blah, blah.

And again - for the record - w/ my 1 vote - I will not be voting for the TB members taking a leave of absence from mod duties - or vice versa for that matter. I think both can do both well.

And granted I'm tired, but when did anything TB related have to be 100%? If multiple folk run for an office, odds are that the vote might be split. If a proposal/motion is made, odds are the vote might be split.

BTW - what the heck are contested elections? To me that sounds like interference w/ votes, bring in folk to count the chads! In both the Prez & VP voting, there was a choice in the first round of voting. Multiple folk running that didn't win doesn't make an election 'contested' - or did I miss something?

And re: this comment: "The problem with the current TB appears to be that there are two groups - those who believe everything is fine in our little world, and those that would like to see some changes." Heck, I'm brand new to TB & I don't fall into either group, so I'd appreciate it if others don't speak for me.

Again I know this is a novel thought, but I intend to listen to FTers, other TB members, our Host, do some research & make my decisions when TB votes or proposals or motions come up on the merits & not because I'm supposed to fall into some pre-formed way to vote. Geesh. As mentioned before, some FTers will be pleased w/ my votes; others won't. Shrug - it is what it is. But I intend to do my best. That's all I can do.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Wink

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Shrug - it is what it is. But I intend to do my best. That's all I can do.

Cheers. Sharon
No, it's NOT enough!!

We INSIST on more!!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Spiff
I can hardly claim the ability, past or present to "block everything". 1 person, 1 vote.
People vote on name recognition, which pretty much means you will be re-elected forever, no matter how much you block. I mean, who really follows the votes...and out of those, who would check who has voted for a motion or against a motion, and their voting record?

If the new owners decide to keep the TB around, for the next TB elections, perhaps it would be a nice idea to display the voting record of each incumbent on the TB votes during her/his "time in office" (yeah it's still just the TB ). That way, people would make a little more informed decisions.

Originally Posted by Spiff
If you don't want moderators representing you, then you have the choice not to vote for them.
I have voted for moderators (e.g., gleff) and non-moderators in the past. While I like kokonutz' proposal, there are other considerations for me personally to take into account, and I would not withhold my vote from someone just because they are a moderator. @:-)
Old Dec 19, 2010, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

BTW - what the heck are contested elections? To me that sounds like interference w/ votes, bring in folk to count the chads! In both the Prez & VP voting, there was a choice in the first round of voting. Multiple folk running that didn't win doesn't make an election 'contested' - or did I miss something?
Elections for which there is a contest - not where the result is contested, but rather where the election has more candidates than places.

Last edited by Markie; Dec 19, 2010 at 11:07 pm
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure what the 'commercial' reference is? (Other than that Randy sells ad space ont he blog)
You have a commercial interests that are intrinsically linked to your volunteerism here and the boarding area blog. This proposal would impact those commercial interests was what I was referring to! Sorry for not being more clear!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.