Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Comments Welcome, Voting Underway: TalkBoard Statement on Criteria for Forum Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments Welcome, Voting Underway: TalkBoard Statement on Criteria for Forum Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Moved by nsx and seconded by bhatnasx

Important Criteria for Forum Changes

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Procedural Statements by the TalkBoard

8. The TalkBoard does not anticipate using automatic sunsetting of forums, preferring instead to create forums only when we they are strongly expected to succeed.

9. At the end of each year, the TalkBoard President will ask the FlyerTalk Host for end-of-year forum activity metrics. Each February, the TalkBoard shall review the least-used forums for possible closure, based on the end-of-year metrics. Members should not expect public notice in advance of proposals to close forums due to the potential for manipulation of the metrics.
This vote will close on June 28, 10 at 5:13 pm or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion. Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback.

A motion shall pass if two-thirds of TalkBoard members participating in that vote vote ‘yes.’
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I am supporting this proposal as I feel it answers some of the 'how do TB open/close fora' questions that have surfaced over the years. In addition it sets a regular point for the TB to review fora usage.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Markie
In addition it sets a regular point for the TB to review fora usage.
Agree and I have long felt and said that a more formal set of forum open/close boundaries would be beneficial to FT, especially with regards to closing low traffic fora.

I also appreciate asking the question whether FT is the best to discuss a particular subject as IMHO sometimes it really isn't despite a few members lobbying for forum creation.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:18 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Seems like a good idea to me: state the criteria but not set specific metrics.

Good compromise. ^
Old Jun 21, 2010, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I like this proposal. It sets a process in place which is based on an annual analysis of metrics, where all existing forums will be subject to a common criteria on their acrtivity and their location within FT, before they are reviewed.

Will the criteria be applied to all forums or just to the non airline & related travel loyalty & activity program forums? If a forum exists just because it is for a very, very small US airline wih a FFP, will it be subject to the motion as stringently as, say, a religious travel or a gaming loyalty program forum?

I only ask because in my time here it appears that a few small airline FFP programs get added quite easily to the forum, while other airline FFP and other non-FFP proposals have a much harder time justifying their benefits to TB for creation of a new fomsrum.

I'd be most supportive if every forum was judged to the same criteria.
No 'special refereeing' for home team forums!

Cheers,
BiziBB
Old Jun 21, 2010, 4:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by BiziBB
If a forum exists just because it is for a very, very small US airline wih a FFP, will it be subject to the motion as stringently as, say, a religious travel or a gaming loyalty program forum?
IMHO, this is the crucial criterion for a small forum:
6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Motion Passed: TalkBoard Statement on Criteria for Forum Changes

Moved by nsx and seconded by bhatnasx

Important Criteria for Forum Changes

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Procedural Statements by the TalkBoard

8. The TalkBoard does not anticipate using automatic sunsetting of forums, preferring instead to create forums only when we they are strongly expected to succeed.

9. At the end of each year, the TalkBoard President will ask the FlyerTalk Host for end-of-year forum activity metrics. Each February, the TalkBoard shall review the least-used forums for possible closure, based on the end-of-year metrics. Members should not expect public notice in advance of proposals to close forums due to the potential for manipulation of the metrics.
Yes:
bhatnasx, gleff, lucky9876coins, Markie, nsx, Radioman, Spiff 7 87.5%

No:
0 0%

Abstain:
B747-437B 1 12.5%

Voters: 8.

Not Voting:
Radioman

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines, a motion shall pass if two-thirds of TalkBoard members participating in that vote vote ‘yes.’
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:04 pm

FYI, in case people are wondering why I abstained from this vote, I have been traveling during the discussion leading up to the vote and during most of the vote period. Accordingly, I did not have the time to study and formulate a proper position on this issue. I'm confident that my fellow TB members have done their homework though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.