Wiki Posts
Search

Forum suggestion: "Airlines of China"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, MU Gold, UA Premier, Starwood Plat, HH Gold
Forum suggestion: "Airlines of China"

I know this has been posted before, but I still don't understand why a "Airlines of China" section for just mainland carriers cannot be created. A section for "Airlines of India" has been created, and the last time I checked, Chinese airlines are not in any way smaller than Indian airlines.

Of the mainland Chinese airlines, Air China and Shanghai Air already in Star Alliance, and China Southern is already in Skyteam, while China Eastern is without a doubt joining an alliance soon. China is an increasingly important business destination. A section dedicated to their airlines will be very helpful to most of the frequent flyers here, who are mostly business travelers.

As a Hong Konger who now lives in Shanghai, and does much intra-China and international travel, I think travelers like us can also enjoy a forum to discuss and share the experiences of traveling in China.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:27 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
If there were to be such a forum, then I'd want EVA and China Airlines included especially since increasingly their focus seems to be on trips between the island and the mainland and it would be annoying to see parallel discussions in two different forums. No doubt people will moan about how Taiwan is/is not part of China etc. Then what about Cathay Pacific - a subforum? Ie another level of indirection?

I prefer it the way it is. If a particular airline generates enough posts then it would be worth creating a forum specific to that airline (as with Cathay).

I'm an EVA fan - much as I'd like to see an EVA forum, I don't think we've ever had enough traffic to warrant it. The advantage would be that we could probably sticky a few of the common threads/questions (which 747s have PL class, is Deluxe worth the extra).
Old Apr 2, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
I support this idea, maybe with both "Airlines of China" and "Airlines of Taiwan"-forums?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by jefi99
I support this idea, maybe with both "Airlines of China" and "Airlines of Taiwan"-forums?
Ha ha ha... it would have to be "Airlines of Mainland China" and Taiwan for me then.

And Cathay? They already have their forum - where would that go? A sub-forum?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: AC, BR, CX, TK, UA
At least if there was a forum for "Airlines of China", it would be easier to track down information on a particular airline. ^

Cathay generates enough posts to warrant it's own forum, (I'm guessing).

Would EVA? I wondered if EVA had it's own forum, if more members would post questions and experiences? @:-)

and if so, what about China Airlines, it would then be orphaned on it's own; couldn't have that and another forum with "Airlines of Taiwan", overkill?

Just throwing some thoughts out there....
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:11 am

Agree it's a bit chicken and egg. A dedicated forum might generate more posts.

I can't remember where I saw it - but there was a guideline from the powers that be a while back based on there being a threshold number of posts to warrant creation of a new forum.

If it's shortage of moderators I'd volunteer to do an EVA one but I think that that is not the issue.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:18 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I'm going to move this to the TalkBoard forum from the Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific forum. The Talk Board is in charge of new forum creation.

cblaisd
Senior Moderator
Old Apr 2, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Heartily agree, not interested in Chinese airlines but constantly paging thru them in the "Other Australian... etc" forum
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
+1 on this. Definitely need to unclude Taiwanese airlines as part of it given FT should be bounded by decisions of UN
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:05 am

Proposal: Airlines of China Forum

Not sure if it has been raised before, but I am going to give it a shot here. I am proposing a Airlines of China forum, similar to Airlines of India forum.

1. In searching for airlines of china, it comes out at 102 out of 281 threads within "Other Asian, Aust/South Pacific FFP Forum" for threads of last 6 months.
2. It could cover all the china airlines (eg CA, MU, FM, CZ, HU etc). CX/KA is excluded given they have their own sub-forum on Asia Miles. Not sure about Taiwan (CI, BR) though, please provide suggestions We can even cover other Hong Kong airlines, as well as all Macau airlines.
3. China is a huge emerging market, plus their flights network is huge and complex, so from one place to another it would involve many different airlines of china. Thus the need for sub-forum to focus all the airlines in China together. This need will get bigger and bigger as more and more people are travelling to China.

I do not believe there is enough posts to have each airline on their own, but would certainly beneficial to have it all under Airlines of China (and possibly Taiwan) sub-forum.

There we go, please feel free to provide comments.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
You might want to look at this thread from about six months ago. It seems to have petered out with no conclusion.

(If I were a moderator, I'd probably merge them. If I were the OP in this thread, I'd alert a moderator and ask that they be merged.)

Added in edit: In case anyone finds this post weird, it was posted in reply to a new thread which, at the time, consisted only of the post immediately above this one. The suggestion was, apparently, accepted. All the earlier posts in this thread were in the linked one. The link is now recursive, but I'll leave it as a historical artifact.

Last edited by Efrem; Oct 17, 2010 at 5:05 pm Reason: See last paragraph.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by edison
Not sure if it has been raised before, but I am going to give it a shot here. I am proposing a Airlines of China forum, similar to Airlines of India forum.

1. In searching for airlines of china, it comes out at 102 out of 281 threads within "Other Asian, Aust/South Pacific FFP Forum" for threads of last 6 months.
2. It could cover all the china airlines (eg CA, MU, FM, CZ, HU etc). CX/KA is excluded given they have their own sub-forum on Asia Miles. Not sure about Taiwan (CI, BR) though, please provide suggestions We can even cover other Hong Kong airlines, as well as all Macau airlines.
3. China is a huge emerging market, plus their flights network is huge and complex, so from one place to another it would involve many different airlines of china. Thus the need for sub-forum to focus all the airlines in China together. This need will get bigger and bigger as more and more people are travelling to China.

I do not believe there is enough posts to have each airline on their own, but would certainly beneficial to have it all under Airlines of China (and possibly Taiwan) sub-forum.

There we go, please feel free to provide comments.
I wasn't around on TalkBoard when this was brought up last, but I just took a quick look at the thread your post was merged into (thanks, Efrem, for finding and linking it).

I admittedly don't know much about the issue and would have to look into current usage to make an educated decision, but this post above really stands out to me:

Originally Posted by harryhv
Heartily agree, not interested in Chinese airlines but constantly paging thru them in the "Other Australian... etc" forum
If the membership is complaining that there is too much traffic about Chinese airlines in the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs forum, then this issue deserves to be looked at a bit more seriously.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by jackal

If the membership is complaining that there is too much traffic about Chinese airlines in the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs forum, then this issue deserves to be looked at a bit more seriously.
I actually don't think that people will "complain" about too much traffic in OAASPFFP forum, but based on the reasoning above (forum traffic, number of airlines, expanding market etc) I thought it deserves its own sub-forum, similar to Airlines of India forum.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I actually don't think that people will "complain" about too much traffic in OAASPFFP forum, but based on the reasoning above (forum traffic, number of airlines, expanding market etc) I thought it deserves its own sub-forum, similar to Airlines of India forum.
The statement I made was in response to the quoted comment from harryhv. Of course, I don't know how representative his viewpoint is of other members, but I just wanted to bring the point up.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:09 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Can you explain how/why there is an unmet need for such a forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.