Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics > Talkboard Elections/15
Reload this Page >

Question 3: Talkboard tensions

Question 3: Talkboard tensions

Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I appreciate your point and agree with it. But some people get disturbed by any unpleasantness, no matter how tame. That's unfortunate.

Bruce
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I have no problem with a "heated" discussion as long as the "heat" comes from the issue at hand, not from name calling, snarky responses, etc.
Well said. As for the rest of your post, I think the TalkBoard has such a limited effect and audience that pretty much anything said or done in the TalkBoard Topics forum will be self-contained there, and the chances of it spreading are minimal.

For what it's worth, while I have been following this year's TalkBoard drama with interest (and a little bit of ), I'm of the mind that venting frustration publicly (while perhaps satisfying) doesn't accomplish much. Instead, it's better to focus on what can be done--whether that's passing new procedures that mitigate the issue or even extending the impeachment procedures to better handle members who are detracting from TalkBoard's value.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I agree completely that venting merely for the sake of venting serves no real purpose. On the other hand, TalkBoard members are elected, and the voters have a right to know how we have conducted ourselves. If no one knows that a member has been disruptive, then is the election going to be meaningful? It becomes just a popularity contest or reflects little more than name recognition. I believe that more transparency would lead to a better TalkBoard at the end of the day.

Bruce
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd also like to add that it stands to reason that the more people are aware of this member's behavior than the more likely they are to cease such behavior.
Stefania Sun likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd like to remind everyone that the question was actually: "Do you see yourself as a person who is capable of standing above such (ie, snark, bickering)? In what way can you contribute to a friendlier and more tolerant FlyerTalk?" And not about a specific individual, especially since TB membership changes each year. Top down thinking.

I also think the horse has been beaten to death/the dog has gnawed through its bone entirely/fill in the appropriate metaphor re: this year's snarkiness & particular individuals - and that we move on, whether that be the individual or the ones who like to keep banging on & on about an individual. And focus on working together on future issues in a civil manner. Both TB & FT would benefit from it.

Cheers. Sharon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.