Question 7: Term Limits

Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Question 7: Term Limits

This question submitted by member Mary2e:
How do you feel about term limits for Talk Board members and/or moderators?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by flyertalk
This question submitted by member Mary2e:
How do you feel about term limits for Talk Board members and/or moderators?
I favor a self-imposed term limit for TalkBoard that is triggered when you have proposed all your ideas (win or lose) and you run out of new ideas. Then it's time to let someone who does have new ideas give it a try.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
There's a fairly steep learning curve in forum moderation and, IMO, the longer a person moderates on FT, the better they understand the TOS, know how to use the forum tools, get to know the forum regulars, etc. So I'm not in favor of moderator term limits.

And, since I'm running for a second TB term I'm not much in favor of term limits there either.

Seriously, TB is an elected position and it's a small group. I'm sure the FT members will automatically "term limit" any TB member they don't wish to see return.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I'm not in favor of term limits for moderators or TalkBoard.

I think its fairly difficult to find members that are willing to devote the time it takes to be a good moderator. If a "moderation term" expires, it isn't a given that there is someone waiting to replace them

Elections should trigger terms for those wanting to serve on the TalkBoard.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 5:29 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
I think people should be able to vote for whomever they want for TB without artificial limits like term limits.

As for moderators, of course TB has no purview over these sorts of things, but I think it would make sense to rotate moderators through different forums to avoid forums from becoming a reflection of the moderator(s) moderation styles with the goal being consistent and fair moderation. And if there are a lot of posters who want to serve as moderators then that rotation might include some time on the bench so that others might serve.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Totally agree with almost everything stated above. Let the voters decide when they don't want to vote for someone anymore, not a term limit.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:27 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Presumably the FT membership will "term limit" a Talkboard member that's problematic. That said, I pledge to stand for no more than 2 terms if elected, and will most likely limit it to one.

I think if Randy wanted term limits for moderators, he'd impose them. When (and if) he makes that an issue for the Talkboard, I'd consider it further. As a moderator, I think it's healthy to moderate different forums from time to time--some can be trying (I used to moderate OMNI, for instance, and burned out on it within a year or two).
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Right now I don't see any reason for term limits for TalkBoard members. If people keep voting for them, they can keep serving.

I honestly know nothing about how moderators are chosen, reviewed, or removed when necessary. There certainly are some good ones who have been around from the beginning.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:31 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
I don't believe term limits would be appropriate for TB at this time. Finding qualified candidates for a voluntary role can be tough enough without imposing additional restrictions.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by skofarrell
I'm not in favor of term limits for moderators or TalkBoard.

I think its fairly difficult to find members that are willing to devote the time it takes to be a good moderator. If a "moderation term" expires, it isn't a given that there is someone waiting to replace them

Elections should trigger terms for those wanting to serve on the TalkBoard.
I don't think that's true at all. I know there are very good members (not including myself) who have applied to be moderators and have been rejected for not posting in the "right" forums or for other reasons never fully explained.

That's right, members who have had over 10K posts and have been here for years. So to say that it's hard to find good members, in my opinion, is completely wrong.

I'm not for term limits. But not because there aren't good people out there willing and able to do the job.

Edited to add: And I've received PMs from 2 members now spelling out this exact scenario.

Last edited by RichMSN; Nov 5, 2007 at 11:56 pm
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:28 am

Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
RichMSN--have you asked Randy why you have never heard anything on the moderator front? He's the only one who can answer that question for you, or anyone else.

One does not "run" for moderator. Two different things.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
RichMSN--have you asked Randy why you have never heard anything on the moderator front? He's the only one who can answer that question for you, or anyone else.

One does not "run" for moderator. Two different things.
I'm not getting into this here. All I'm doing is countering skofarrell and the claim that there aren't enough good volunteer moderators or TB members.

There are plenty of qualified, good members who want or wanted to be moderators who got rejected. I'd name names, but I think that would not only violate the members' privacy, but likely the TOS as well. I'm moving on from this. If anyone wants details, PM me.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'm not getting into this here. All I'm doing is countering skofarrell and the claim that there aren't enough good volunteer moderators or TB members.

There are plenty of qualified, good members who want or wanted to be moderators who got rejected. I'd name names, but I think that would not only violate the members' privacy, but likely the TOS as well. I'm moving on from this. If anyone wants details, PM me.
You can't possibly open the can of worms, imply that skofarrell is incorrect, and then shut it again.

Candidly, without knowing what Randy's criteria are for "moderator," or having asked him if you (or these other members) meet them, did not meet them, or why in either event, it's pretty poor form to say "well, there are plenty of good volunteer moderators."

I can't read Randy's mind. Neither can anyone else. Again, I'd consider asking him before assuming that because someone did not have their moderation app handled with the outcome they'd like that the process is broken in the mind of the guy that really matters.

Talkboard members, FT members, and mods don't get to decide who becomes a mod. That's Randy's purview. People running around going "I have 10k posts and years of experience, ergo sum I'd make a good mod, ergo sum it's wrong that I was not chosen" are exactly why this process should not be in the hands of an elected body.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:36 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi all,

While I agree with the overall theme that we should not introduce term limits for TB, I do think that we should open up opportunities for fresh blood.

If we look at the current election, there are 25 candidates for only a few posts. As such, would it make sense to encourage members who have served 2 or more terms and who are up for re-election to step aside if there are, for example, three times as many candidates as positions?

It would be a way to allow flexibility while encouraging active members of the community to take a more involved role.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:50 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I don't support term limits at all. The problem comes when you have someone very effective (I'll use gleff as an example) who's highly capable in a given position. To artificially limit their tenure does harm to FlyerTalk as you're removing someone who may wish to continue serving and in whom FlyerTalk is best served. I feel that if a TalkBoard member is not living up to their mandate, natural term limitation will rectify that issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.