Search

Question 19: Minimum Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:10 am
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

Question 19: Minimum Requirements

This question was submitted by empedocles:
Do you believe that there need to be minimum requirements (time/posts/etc.) to stand for a TalkBoard seat?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Yes I do. A combination of time & posts.

I would leave the specifics for discussion/voting by the Talk Board or decision by Randy.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Yes. I addressed this here:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....25&postcount=4

Originally Posted by RichMSN
There are three candidates who clearly cannot receive my support. They have not participated at all on FT and have not broken their silence on the board to participate in this series of questions. If elected to TalkBoard, I will propose a reasonable minimum standard for participation in order for candidates to be eligible. It only makes sense, IMO.
I would argue as a starting point that a candidate should be a member for a year and have at least 100 posts, but those are just numbers and this is something the TalkBoard can and should address next year. I hope that includes me.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not 100% certain that there should be a minimum requirement based on a number count because I've seen some posters that have 3 months of FT & have well over 300 posts (it took me much longer to get there) - those posters have found a community that they want to be a part of - and if they want to help shape it, I think that's great.

That said, there is no way I would vote for someone (or encourage anyone else to vote for someone) who has no public FlyerTalk experience. How can someone who has never really been a part of the community really help decide what's right for the community?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
first reaction was pretty much the same as those who have already posted - that limits could be good. But actually, does it make a difference? Such candidates have generally scored very low in the elections, as many people seem to agree that they want a certain amount of experience, or to be able to see the candidates in action on the board. I think we just trust the Flyertalk members to elect who they want to elect - and if they want someone with 5 posts and three days on the board, then so be it. But I don't think they ever will

Last edited by Jenbel; Nov 8, 2006 at 12:40 pm Reason: typo!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
The problem that enters into the requirements equation is that, if there is not a technology-based solution, who reviews potential candidates to see if they meet the qualification? The House of Miles? The TalkBoard?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:06 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Nah. Let the market decide who the best candidates are, not some arbitrary rules.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
My answer here is basically the same one I gave in regards to setting maximum terms in office. I don't like the idea because it deprives the voter of the opportunity of casting his ballot for someone who wants to be in office.

However, just as I said I would be very hesitant to vote in someone for a third term, I would be even more leary of voting for someone who has little or no experience with FlyerTalk.

But never say "never". Rquesty has only 20 posts on FlyerTalk but if he were to seek to serve on TalkBoard I would vote for him without any hesitation.

For those of you not familiar with that user name, his full name is Richard Quest. IMHO, he is one of the best anchors on CNN and hosts its "Business Traveler" segments. I think he would be a wonderful TB asset.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
7 years and 6729 posts.

Last edited by opus17; Nov 8, 2006 at 4:28 pm Reason: I raised my standards.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that there should be a minimum amount of time and votes as a requirement however at the end of the day it will be a non-issue as no one but the odd joker/prankster will be voting for them anyway.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:41 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I honestly do not believe there should be a minimum.

I have seen members with 2 posts make extraordinary contributions and members with over 10,000 posts add nothing substantial for most of those posts (in my opinion).

I think fresh opinions can be very valuable to the Talkboard. However, we do know that people vote for people they are comfortable and familiar with... that is a fact.

William
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Hi,

I don’t think that their should be any sort of minimum requirement to stand for TalkBoard as I think the voters will read the peoples profiles, check out what they do (and folk so notice posting levels etc) and read what they have to say in this discussion forum.

Keep it simple and let the voters decide.

Regards
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:14 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
AFAIK this is a volunteer position. I have taken alot from FT over the last 5 years. It is time to give back. The requirement should be the desire to serve our membership.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by ingy
The requirement should be the desire to serve our membership.
I like that answer.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've changed my mind.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....94&postcount=5

Regards,
Rich

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.