Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics > TalkBoard Election Debate Archives > Talkboard Debate Archives > TalkBoard Elections/06
Reload this Page >

Question 2: Facilitating the platform/motto from your candidate profile.

Question 2: Facilitating the platform/motto from your candidate profile.

Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:17 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
First, my apologies for not posting sooner. I have been travelling in Singapore, Brussels and London (here now) and have had almost no free time to check in other than to perform moderation duties.

I had posted my personal motto as: "Personal Motto: To continue to represent the members of Flyertalk to the best of my abilities to ensure that Flyertalk.com remains the preeminent travel community on the internet. "

I have tried to do that every day I have been on Flyertalk.com over the past six years. I tried to contribute when I could and listened at other times.

Randy asked me to serve on the early Talkboard and I accepted the challenge. I like to think I have represented the membership well... and voted in ways that went against what Randy and others on the Board wanted (Men's Forum is one example).

I was also asked to serve as a moderator... I had not volunterred. I currently moderate Coupon Connection and Talkboard Topics. In the past, Randy asked that I moderate "Only Randy Petersen" forum for a short while when things were out of control. I willingly stepped in.

I have gained so much from my time on Flyertalk and want to do all I can to return the gift.

William
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Here are the five points from my platform and my comments on each.

1. To promote a culture of civility where members treat each other with respect throughout the community.

I will support any motions or actions that increase the level of civility on FT including those designed to minimize trolling, post stalking, and other baiting of posters.

2. To find a way to help more senior/tenured members of the community stay engaged to share information even when they are tired of the same questions over and over.

I am open to listening to the community on this issue (see item #5) and hearing suggestions of how to keep members engaged and proposing action based on feedback from the general membership.

3. To continue to do things that better build "community" - whether promoting activities where residents of certain areas can gather regularly to form friendships or promoting the formation of forums where travelers with distinct common interests can gather - but by "building" not dividing the community.

I will continue to attend community events and to host events when possible. I am also open to the formation of special interest forums and continued use of these forums (the current Women Travelers and GLBT forums, for example, as well as the previously proposed Government Travelers and Men Travelers forums).

4. To help find ways for new users to be better integrated into board culture across the forums. As FlyerTalk continues to grow through word of mouth, press mentions, and referrals, this will continue to be an important part of FT's evolution as the board gets larger and larger.

I again believe that an important function for TalkBoard is to LISTEN to the community and enact policies where change the community warrants them. I see a role on TalkBoard as not one of promoting an agenda but rather advancing the cause of FT as it evolves based on member demand, not my own desires.

5. To increase the openess of communications between TalkBoard and the general FlyerTalk community - for me, this includes holding town hall chats to get feedback from users, encouraging regular participation (either active or passive) in a variety of forums to have a better idea of how FT is evolving and what member needs are, and finally to encourage solicitation of opinions from members for topics under consideration/discussion so the general users on FT can have a more active role with this representative body.

I believe that TalkBoard should do three things:

1. Allow general members to propose motions to TalkBoard members (this is done now through the TalkBoard forum) but also ensure that these motions are actually put before the TalkBoard for discussion.

2. Post motions under discussion to the community so that feedback can be solicited from all members of FT (not just those who are most politically active or who enjoy engaging in debate for debate’s sake).

3. Regularly hold town hall meetings or chats that are hosted/moderated by various members of TalkBoard where all members have the opportunity to propose actions and give feedback to TalkBoard on motions. I see TalkBoard’s function here as one of listening, not talking – and then taking that knowledge back to the forum for voting. (i.e. rather than voting one’s personal opinion or that of a vocal peer group, I believe we should get feedback from various areas of FT and try to act upon that).
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:50 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
My platform is the help FlyerTalk so that it can help others in and efficient and friendly manner. I am a pretty matter of fact person and to the point, so I will take any issues presented to heart and give a logical(most of the time) straight forward response, considering all options and choosing the one's that steer us towards a growing better community.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.