FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Elections/06 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-elections-06-623/)
-   -   The Open Forum for Candidates (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-elections-06/620386-open-forum-candidates.html)

FlyerTalk Nov 2, 2006 5:39 pm

The Open Forum for Candidates

This forum is designed to allow candidates to address other issues beyond those in the direct questions from the members of FlyerTalk. All candidates have been advised to not make things personal - its about the issues and it's about only those things that happen on FlyerTalk.

You can find more info the candidates and their platforms at:

http://www.flyertalk.com/talkthevote/

If you have a question-at-large for the candidates, please send email to [email protected] or PM Randy Petersen.

Thank you.

empedocles Nov 12, 2006 7:42 am

As everything winds down and I assume this forum will be locked come tomorrow when the polls open, I just wanted to post my appreciation for the opportunity to compete for a TalkBoard seat.

Thanks to the House of Miles for giving the membership a say in the direction of Flyertalk. Thank you to the community for submitting fantastic questions and for your vote. (I expect to get first place by a landslide... ;)) Thanks to my fellow candidates for their willingness to give back to the community and for a very interesting discussion.

I will wrap this post up with... a joke:

A man walks into a bar with a giraffe and they proceed to get blitzed. The giraffe drinks so much it passes out on the floor. The man gets up and heads for the door to leave when the bartender yells, "Hey! You can't leave that lyin' there!" The drunk replies, "That's not a lion! It's a giraffe."

Dovster Nov 12, 2006 11:42 pm

This is the fourth TalkBoard race since I have been on FlyerTalk. I didn't follow the first one but I remember that it was a very hotly contested race, with partisans of all the candidates posting all over F/T.

The second one, in which I was elected, was also highly contested -- albeit with some unfortunate posts being put up by both some contestants and their supporters. Signature blocks endorsing various candidates abounded.

The third, last year, saw a change. Members who were not running were no longer permitted to enter the debates. Still, interest was high. Those signature blocks were everywhere and the top candidates received vote totals which dwarfed those of the year before.

This year, the interest seems minimal. Last year, one thread alone had 9297 views (the record for this year, so far, is 783). Signatures supporting any of the candidates are few and far between. Obviously, voter turnout can not yet be determined.

I can't help but wonder why this is. I can see several possibilities, some good and some bad, but most of them in the "bad" category.

** None of the candidates have launched personal attacks against the others. (Good).

** Members believe that TalkBoard is so restricted in its duties that it is irrelevant. (Bad).

** We (the candidates) are either so incompetent or so boring that no one is interested in any of us. (Bad).

** FlyerTalkers care less now about how the community is run than they did in the past. (This would be the worst of all possibilities.)

empedocles Nov 13, 2006 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
** None of the candidates have launched personal attacks against the others. (Good).

Oh yeah? Well your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries! :p ;)

(I guess I just lost all of the Monty Python haters... ;) )

I wonder if the US members aren't just sick of elections in general.

Dovster Nov 13, 2006 6:29 am

Originally Posted by empedocles

It is a possibility, of course, but two years ago the TB election was held on the same day as the American presidential election and it still had a lot of interest.

hfly Nov 13, 2006 9:13 am

Well youa re right, two years ago at least two candidates resorted to such name calling, lies and dirty tricks that at least one was SUSPENDED for much of the campaign time. I am sure that brought some spotlight to the race at the time.

kokonutz Nov 13, 2006 9:53 am

So the 'debate' is OVER!?

I agree with the rest of Flyertalk: ho-hum.

empedocles Nov 13, 2006 9:55 am

Am I mis-recalling? It seems that in years past this forum got locked when voting started...

opus17 Nov 13, 2006 9:56 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Well youa re right, two years ago at least two candidates resorted to such name calling, lies and dirty tricks that at least one was SUSPENDED for much of the campaign time. I am sure that brought some spotlight to the race at the time.

You mean you missed my 30-second attack ads?
Pity. I need to fire my media buyer.

Radioman Nov 13, 2006 10:07 am

Oh yeah? Well your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries! :p ;)

(I guess I just lost all of the Monty Python haters... ;) )

Thats funny because thats exactly what someone told me about you :p

I have reported your posting to the British Hamster Association. I am sure that they will be along shortly to tell you off :D

On another matter, its been fun debating this year and a lot of the answers where really good.

Now all we need is for the community to vote!

Good luck to one and all, even the folk who did not bother to post a thing.

Regards

bhatnasx Nov 13, 2006 11:07 am

Good luck to all! :)

Dovster Nov 13, 2006 12:09 pm

You have that completely wrong!

Dad was a hamster.

Mom reeks from the elderberry wine she imbibes regularly.

empedocles Nov 13, 2006 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
You have that completely wrong!

Dad was a hamster.

Mom reeks from the elderberry wine she imbibes regularly.

My apologies, then. ;)

I'll try to get my personal attacks correct from now on. :D

opus17 Nov 13, 2006 1:24 pm

So, after all the questions, the big controversy, unasked, was about the "I voted" avatars.

Too bad, I would have liked the opportunity to pander to both sides.

Mary2e Nov 13, 2006 1:35 pm

Good luck everyone!

May the best women win ;) :D :D :D :p