Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question 11: Rename Your Platform of Specific Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:23 pm

You will hear me say this a billion times: my only thought, concern or 'agenda' is to keep this website focused on what it should be: FLYING.
Do the one thing you do best, and do it better than anyone else, if you dare try to be all things to all people, you will satisfy nobody.

One thing I'd really like to do is develop a database of anything and everything concerning FFM (frequent flyer miles), because it seems to me 'everybody' says their program or card is better than everyone else's.
Is it ? How ? And is the information pertaining to your program or card current ? Or did it change last week ?

I am bombarded at home with mailings from all over from companies telling me their program is 'the best', so I come here to read opinions, and I have to dig deep, and then hand-write a matrix to figure out the pros and cons of each card or program, whereas I would think we would have that already set up here.

If I fly domestically once a year, is a program or card worth anything ?
What if I fly twice a year ? Or 3 times a year ? When does a program start paying benefits back ?

Does buying tickets from a discount website nullify FFM's ? I've read on other sites that some do, do they ?

That's the kind of info I need, and would develop.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

This question was submitted by member Kiwi Flyer:

"Are you running on a platform of specific idea(s) you want to implement?

Nope.

Free beer at all FT Doos was a good platform, but as another candidate has pointed out, possibly a little tricky to implement.

If elected I will look into that one however. I'd need to do a study tour to assist my vote of course.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by doc
OMG, I hope I am not turning out to be the Al Gore of FT!
Did you invent FT?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cholula
My issues are fairly simple:

First, I want to be your representative on TalkBoard and represent your views....not my views or the views of the guy in seat 21B who has no interest in FlyerTalk.

Secondly, I'd welcome suggestions for additional forums on FT that would interest the current members and perhaps attract new members.

Thirdly, and not to beat the proverbial dead horse , but I'd again like to state a need for the FlyerTalk experience to be simplified and streamlined for new and experienced members alike.
We have an enormous amount of information at our fingertips and a post I see with increasing frequency from new users...and a few experienced ones....is "I searched for XXX but can't find the info so here's my question". Perhaps we need a better online tutorial about search techniques on FT. Or maybe a more robust, user-friendly search engine. Or perhaps a re-ordering of the way our forums, threads and information is arranged.
I know that FlyerTalk can be daunting for users and if we want to grow at an accelerated pace, we need to provide a simplified experience for all members.
I just want to bring everyone's attention to the fact that CTM has been trying to BUY votes...he's offering cases of CTS (Cholula Hot Sauce) for each vote....the shame, next he'll be telling us HE's like Al Gore too (Sorry Dave, just in a funny mood this morning)
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fredman
You will hear me say this a billion times: my only thought, concern or 'agenda' is to keep this website focused on what it should be: FLYING.
Do the one thing you do best, and do it better than anyone else, if you dare try to be all things to all people, you will satisfy nobody.
Are you suggesting we do away with the hotel based forums? The travel bidding forums? The Dining Forums? etc? I believe these are important parts of FT and I can honestly say other members do too....if they didn't they wouldn't be posting in them (Heck OMNI is important to FT as well).....I am a strong believer that we all have the freedom to participate in a forum as well as the freedom to NOT participate if we so choose
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:40 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Open Dialog

My primary goal as a Talk Board member will be OPEN DIALOG.

I commend the current TB for eliminating the idiotic "gag order" that was put into effect by the first TB. But, that is only the first step.

I will welcome any and all viewpoints and will not attempt to stifle discussion. If for any reason a discussion thread in the TB feedback forum is closed before a vote has taken place, I will start a new one.

I pledge to disclose my reasons for each and every vote.

Open Dialog, Period.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:21 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

d e l e t e d

Last edited by HNL; Oct 11, 2006 at 9:22 pm
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:48 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
FT does not need any change, but I want to investigate a new feature: Ability to subscribe to threads with email notification. That way we could indulge our FT-holism just by monitoring our email, rather than having to spend time and Randy's money (for server bandwidth) checking the forums for updates.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:15 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

d e l e t e d

Last edited by HNL; Oct 11, 2006 at 9:22 pm
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:17 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Increasing the diversity of FT and BT through opinions, new forums and adapt to the changing traveling world. Though initially designed for business frequent fliers, travel is coming an American and world passion. FT needs to continue to grow and diversify as it grows.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:23 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I'm not running on any specific platform of ideas but would like to help with the issues that are important to FT members.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:07 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
All FT members should be entitled to remain shod at airports.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Remove any influence of FF scheme members on Talkboard - it is for the members and not the programs.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Markie

Remove any influence of FF scheme members on Talkboard - it is for the members and not the programs.
AFAIK Starwood Lurker officially represents Starwood, and MissyDarling has said she generally represents her employer Alaskan Air as a spokesperson.

As both are elected members - by the members - how would anyone 'remove their influence' as they surely get one vote the same as all other members? Any TB member could vote against them at all times if they chose, but that would not remove any influence, but neutralise one vote.

Or maybe I misread the answer? But if that is your "platform of specific ideas" I'd appreciate expansion of the view. (Posted as a member not a candidate).

Last edited by ozstamps; Oct 11, 2005 at 1:02 am
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNL
I disagree with that statement. Organizations that fail to recognize where their customers/users/clients are going, anticipate their needs, and implement changes to grow with them go the way of the dinosaurs.
While I agree there isn't an apparent need for chance but I also agree if you're not ahead of the curve you'll fall further behind the pack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.