Search

Question 8: Shared Views?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:46 am
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

Question 8: Shared Views?

This question was submitted by member attorney28:

"Of the current TalkBoard members (other than yourself, if you are an incumbent), based on their voting records and participation on FlyerTalk, who do you think seems to come closest to sharing your own views on the future development of FlyerTalk?"
Old Oct 9, 2005, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta MM
At this point, I do not know that anyone is really representing my views and that is one of the reasons why I am here. For example, I haven’t seen others demonstrating concern about the rise in social oriented boards and discussing the potential divisiveness there (see THIS POST). I suppose someone must have discussed it at some point, but the topic is far more muted than I believe is justified. The position I stated on foreign representation is clearly in the minority, which is exactly why I chose to raise that subject in another thread. The user interface and board flow must have been discussed as well but as I have indicated I see some potential improvements there that indicates I would have done thing just slightly differently. I think the board includes smart and able people, but perhaps because I am a newer member I believe my perspective is slightly different – not better or worse, but rather a voice from a different corner that I hope might add to existing choir.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Hello voting members,

Well another loaded question from the board membership. I don’t really care if the other people who are standing share my views or not.

If everyone shared the same views then we would not have a diversified board and it would be boring. In any group or committee you need people who are willing to look at various issues and discuss/debate them.

I have worked over the years in companies where we have had all “YES MEN/WOMEN” and in others where there is debate and discussion, with these sorts of group’s people usually ended up agreeing to disagree.

Any future development of FlyerTalk should also come from the general membership as it is their board and NOT the FlyTalk committees board, they are elected representatives of the members and I would not for one minute try and change the board to my way of thinking and therefore would not look for others who share my exact view to be elected to change the board, this could mean the board could very quickly turn into a dictatorship which non (I hope) of us really want to see.

I will not put any names of the people who I think share my views. This will become apparent as we move along in the debating process and it will be left to the membership to decided. I hope I have made views clear in this posting.

Regards
RadioMan
Old Oct 9, 2005, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I would worry if I found myself to be in agreement with any current FT Board member all the time on all the issues we'd be discussing. This may be perceived as a cop out on the question, but I don't believe it is possible from reading threads on the TalkBoard forum to discern concurrence with the views of any or all members in such a definitive fashion. I have met at FT Dos more of the current slate of candidates than I have of those who will be staying on the Board. So I can better say among this group who I share views with, or disagree, because we've had more time and time to actually talk about a range of matters, many beyond FT topics.

I know some prefer to have "parties" or "alliances" so matters can be more efficiently dealt with. But the majority of FTers are quite independent of mind and are unlikely to agree with others more times than they'll agree with them. This may make for lousy politics, but does yield great democracy.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I have personally met four of the current TalkBoard members and am familiar with all of the TalkBoard members' FT posting style.
But I am not familiar with the current TalkBoard's viewpoint on the future development of FlyerTalk. I don't remember this question being specifically asked of the current TB members or, if it was, I may have missed it. And I haven't gained any insight into this issue from monitoring their day-to-day posts on FT.
So not trying to cop out on this question but I'm not sufficiently informed to offer a substantive answer.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 12:59 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I dont know. But I am willing to sit down for a drinking contest to find out!
Old Oct 9, 2005, 1:08 pm

I'm sure I share some the views of each of the current board members. Being the constant devils-advocate that I am - I'm sure I would always be trying to think "outside the box" in order to "see the sky through the trees".
Old Oct 9, 2005, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the fact that only relatively recent voting results have been fully published, looking through the voting records, I believe that Spiff best represents what I believe & how I would have voted - Starwood Lurker, a close second. My vote would have depended on the conversations that took place within the TalkBoard. If someone had a better reason to vote one way than I had to vote the other way, I may have changed my mind.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
My first cut would be to limit it to one of the following:

gleff, ScottC, Spiff, kempis

Why? They all switched their votes (in different directions) on the religious travel forum after some changes were made. It shows that they will thoughtfully consider an issue each time it appears rather than sticking to quick decision or voting the same lest they be accused of flip-flopping.

Looking at all the published votes, I would have to go with spiff (even if don't restrict myself to the four above) as the board member with whom I would most often agree. Additionally, from spiff's posts and meeting him a few times in person, I know we share a lot of the same values.

I would like to add, that I give Dovster a lot of credit for his vote on the geographical restriction's for TB members despite the fact it was not in his best interest.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:21 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I dont know. But I am willing to sit down for a drinking contest to find out!
should I bring limes?

I have generally found myself in agreement with gleff. (Has anyone NOT noticed that I'm a fan?)
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:46 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
In looking at the TB votes from the past year, I would say that I will agree with all members some of the time and disagree with all members some of the time.

I will not be a rubber stamp for any group.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:32 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by missydarlin
should I bring limes?
Body shots...AGAIN!?!?!

Now THAT is what I call making the most of a legislative body....
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Body shots...AGAIN!?!?!

Now THAT is what I call making the most of a legislative body....
Wow, now I know why my favorite carrier recently filed chapter 11 and how they can get out of it
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:13 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Body shots...AGAIN!?!?!

you say that like its a bad thing?!?!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:39 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

d e l e t e d

Last edited by HNL; Oct 11, 2006 at 9:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.