Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Open Forum for Candidates

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
[QUOTE=Cholula]
I hadn't thought of this but it's a good question. Makes me now wish my FT handle was aaaCholula .
QUOTE]

Hi
That was my idea, I see that there was only 2minutes between our postings. Dam, now everyone will be jumping on the band wagon.

regards
RadioMan
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by Radioman
That was my idea, I see that there was only 2minutes between our postings. Dam, now everyone will be jumping on the band wagon.
No, there can only be one aaaCholula, and according to most folks in another debate it can't be Cholula himself.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:55 pm

Hi

I have a few questions for my fellow candidates :

1. What are your views on non-US members standing for election?

2. What are your views on having at least one non-guaranteed US member on the board?

3. What sort of time can you give to the board? I.e. once a week, twice a week?

4. What’s your view on the $15 to pay for FlyerTalk Premium?

That’s about it.

Regards
RadioMan
Old Oct 9, 2005, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I encourage them to!

2. What are your views on having at least one non-guaranteed US member on the board?
We currently have several.. I think. Not sure what a non-US member is, exactly, and this gets problematic enforcing some sort of quota. There are several members, for instance, who split their time between the US and Europe, US and Asia, etc. Fortunately the median Flyertalker is unlikely to be the stereotypical American tourist.. we're quite worldly around these parts. I guess I'm not a fan of a quota for non-US members of TalkBoad, but I do hope that the international membership is well-represented (by whomever they choose) and I think that, to date, they more or less have been. Now, if the TalkBoard develops a domestic US-myopia I might well change my mind.

Way too much time. I really should be working when I'm at the office, sleeping when I'm in a hotel room, and when I'm at home with mrs. gleff . . . Heh.
I think you're being overcharged $3.

Last edited by gleff; Oct 9, 2005 at 4:31 pm
Old Oct 9, 2005, 5:11 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Sorry can’t find the other four questions in your list? You did say you had seven
Actually I said that I had several. I probably did have another seven, but then thought better of posting them.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by VPescado
Actually I said that I had several. I probably did have another seven, but then thought better of posting them.

Hi
Just making sure that I did not miss them
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Hi

I have a few questions for my fellow candidates :

That’s about it.

Regards
RadioMan
1) The more participation the better FT will become
2) I don't believe anything in life is or should be guaranteed
3) this is an opened/fluid question but I'm willing to give whatever is needed to get the job done
4) I have no issues with it, Randy is a business man and should be able to earn a living, $15 isn't much to pay however if you choose not to pay (as I did) it's pretty easy to ignore the ads
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) What is *your* vision for FT (if not already mentioned in your platform), and what will you do to make that vision reality.

2) What experience, education, and skillset do you have that will make you an effective Talkboard member? I'm looking for things like "City Council Member" and "Brokered peace talks in regional conflict" as opposed to how many miles you flew.

3) Do you think it is fair that the candidates are listed in alphabetical order so that VPescado's entry is on the bottom of the page?
1) I believe its mentioned in my platform - and to make that vision a reality, I will do my best to vote for what I believe will best benefit this community and in line with what I believe the entire community wants.

2) I've never been in City Council & I certainly never brokered peace talks anywhere - but I was the Senior Patrol Leader of my Boy Scout troop when I was much younger! Seriously though, the only other time I've "run for office" was in the 2004 TalkBoard elections - I got quite a few votes & did okay - however, there were better candidates than me at the time. As for leadership roles, I've always been viewed as a leader as well as a listener. I don't necessarily believe that having been in City Council or brokering peace talks will define a good TalkBoard member - I believe a good TalkBoard member is a TalkBoard member that will listen to the membership and will fight for what is best for FlyerTalk - I'm from the DC area - the people here that broker peace talks and are in the City Council are not people I would necessarily strive to be like.

3) I know you'll hate me for this, but I do believe its fair - I believe it's the only way (other than reverse alphabetical order) that is fair. Sure, Randy could have organized it based on submission date of entry, but the alphabetical method is best. Do I think its good that my username starts with a "B"? Not at all - any time I look in the phone book, I don't go with the first listing & when I'm at a restaurant, I rarely choose the first thing on the menu. After reading the first few descriptions on the menu, I gain more interest in the later ones & will sometimes forget what the first few are - especially if there are 35 entrees to choose to from. Of course, I believe that the meal that will satisfy my hunger are the ones that are most filling - and the ones that attract my attention most - placement doesn't matter.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) I have no issues with non-US members standing for election. We are a global community & should have global representation.

2) TalkBoard is Randy's advisory board. I believe that since this is one of the things that he wanted from the begining, he had good reason for wanting to be like this. I think its a good idea to have at least one non-US member on the board, guaranteed, because we are a global community & there are cultural differences - granted, we are, for the most part, world travelers, so we recognize these differences - but we can't go into everything with our own perspectives - and I am sure that someone that was raised & lives in a different environment than I potentially has different views & experiences than I do - and I welcome that difference.

3) I will give as much time as necessary to TalkBoard. Currently, I am moderating two forums and I travel for both business & pleasure & work as a manager/trainer for a Fortune 500 company. Yet I am still online quite regularly. As a moderator, I am pretty quick at responding to PMs & doing moderator-related responsibilities. I am a regular participant on many forums and I check FT several times a day. When I travel, I still make sure I am checking FT (unless of course, I'm backpacking somewhere with no access to the internet - in which case, I will always send a note out to my fellow mods & future TalkBoard members).

4) I think FT Premium is a great idea & I am glad that Randy is able to help financially suppor the site this way. I am also glad that there is still a free FULL version of FlyerTalk that is available to all members. I believe that had I been introduced to FlyerTalk as a pay site, I would never have joined - but since it was free, I did join - this is something that must remain free for us to attract & retain quality members.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gleff

Well, I think koko is the candidate of free beer.
He is?

Does he offer it for a YEAR though?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:21 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
1) What is *your* vision for FT (if not already mentioned in your platform), and what will you do to make that vision reality.
My vision for FT isn't all that different from the reality of FT. Flyertalk is an amazing place.

2) What experience, education, and skillset do you have that will make you an effective Talkboard member? I'm looking for things like "City Council Member" and "Brokered peace talks in regional conflict" as opposed to how many miles you flew.
I work in the airline industry as a customer service rep, and I'm the mother of teenage boys.. I broker peace talks every day! Having planned a few FT get togethers, I also herd cats well. I've served as a member of the Talkboard for the past two years, and was part of a group that made some real progress in defining the role of the Talkboard.

3) Do you think it is fair that the candidates are listed in alphabetical order so that VPescado's entry is on the bottom of the page?
A terrible injustice. Everyone knows it should be ladies first, Bay Area residents last.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:28 am

1.What are your views on non-US members standing for election?
I believe they are absolutely a necessary function of a well rounded board.

2.What are your views on having at least one non-guaranteed US member on the board?
I personally think it should be 2.

3.What sort of time can you give to the board? I.e. once a week, twice a week?
It's a pretty rough week for me if I'm not popping in at least every day. Other than when I'm travelling, or swamped with school work, I'm generally checking the Talkboard forum a couple times a day. Not to say that sort of addiction is necessary to being a productive member, The Guidelines ask for and require only minimum weekly participation.

4.What’s your view on the $15 to pay for FlyerTalk Premium?
It would be a bargain at twice the price. Flyertalk is an amazing and totally free resource. Having the option to view it ad-free and give something back to Randy is worth every penny. I'm proud to have served on the Talkboard that voted in the idea.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:58 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gleff
^, doc!

(But then I wonder if you just want to get maximum participation possible to run up your own margin of victory? )
---

C'mon Gary, I only wish there were five "gleff's" running, so that I could simply withdraw.

Yet as it stands, there are actually lots, certainly more than five, really good candidates, IMHO. Is it too late!

And may I offer my condolences, Gary, to you and your family.

And sorry Dave/"thadocta" to learn of this dramatic turn and wish you the best.

-Mark
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:14 am

I know this is a completely random question, but am I the only female candidate? Of all the handles that I recognize, it would appear to be so. My apologies if I missed someone that I should know.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I know this is a completely random question, but am I the only female candidate? Of all the handles that I recognize, it would appear to be so. My apologies if I missed someone that I should know.
Hmm...looking at the names that I recognize, I believe you are correct!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.