Was op-uped in web check in on a flight that still has plenty space

Old Jun 5, 2009, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Was op-uped in web check in on a flight that still has plenty space

Expert flyer showing '9,9,9..." and they are still selling economy saver tickets. ZRH-PVG

Happy of course but dont understand why they are doing this.

Last edited by seaskybound; Jun 5, 2009 at 4:16 pm
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
The fllights nowadays are heavily oversold in Y. So even if it shows Y9, B9, the flight might be oversold in economy already.

I got an opup to JNB last week as well, even though flight showed up Y9, B9, M9 etc. empty in Y.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:54 am

Programs: LH
Not only he got the op-up ...
Old Jun 6, 2009, 1:57 am

Programs: UA Plat, LH SEN(RIP)
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Expert flyer showing '9,9,9..." and they are still selling economy saver tickets. ZRH-PVG

How does a web check-in look like? Any special message or are you just able to choose a seat in the business section?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 2:41 am

Programs: LH Sen, IHG Spire, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by FelixB
How does a web check-in look like? Any special message or are you just able to choose a seat in the business section?
It tells you in red that you are upgraded, and then you can choose your seat in C.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:41 am

Spoke to a purser on a TATL flight in LH where we have been the first two passengers in F (already the 4th flight with nobody else in F this year, on ZRH-DXB yesterday there was a total of 3 out of 12, HKG-FRA 6 out of 16 and FRA-BKK 8 out for 16 - not good for the airlines).
He told me that most of the C passengers are upgrades and only very few are on a paid C ticket. Most airlines are now selling Eco tickets as long as there is Space in Business and upgrade to generate at least some revenue.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Interesting to hear that web check-in is able to do op-ups, I had always thought that this would not work and they'd give you a new BP at the gate if you check in through the web. Good news ^
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Spoke to a purser on a TATL flight in LH where we have been the first two passengers in F (already the 4th flight with nobody else in F this year, on ZRH-DXB yesterday there was a total of 3 out of 12, HKG-FRA 6 out of 16 and FRA-BKK 8 out for 16 - not good for the airlines).
He told me that most of the C passengers are upgrades and only very few are on a paid C ticket. Most airlines are now selling Eco tickets as long as there is Space in Business and upgrade to generate at least some revenue.
Last weeks FRA-BKK-FRA segements I was on had 3 pax in F on the outbound and 6 pax in F on the inbound ! I doubt there were any F revenue pax onboard.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
And why do LH and LX don't release more first class award seats on their international flight as they have plenty of empty seats these days.

I find it very hard to find first class award seat on many LH flights even thought plenty of seats are still not occupied or revenue reserved
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by airoli
Interesting to hear that web check-in is able to do op-ups, I had always thought that this would not work and they'd give you a new BP at the gate if you check in through the web. Good news ^
This is my 2nd ZRH-PVG op-up in a row (If I recall correctly I do this route a lot) both were web check in up-ops, I guess when they know for sure that opups are going to happen they get the ball moving. F had 2 people, C was 80% full, Y was very full but still had a few seats left. Not bad for a lowly FTL
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:47 am
hch

Originally Posted by LH/LX
I find it very hard to find first class award seat on many LH flights even thought plenty of seats are still not occupied or revenue reserved
As HON you should ask the hotline to get the for you. Even if there is no O availability they can usually confirm you on a flight with lots of empty seats.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seaskybound

I am curious about the fare basis of your ticket. I am flying to TLV in early July, fare basis QICWEBIA outbound and LICWEBIA inbound. What are my chances for an opup?
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Plat, LH SEN(RIP)
Originally Posted by RoaminRoman
I am curious about the fare basis of your ticket. I am flying to TLV in early July, fare basis QICWEBIA outbound and LICWEBIA inbound. What are my chances for an opup?
Your fare basis should not matter. Your SENhood does though. Make sure it's in the system if you intend to credit to a different FFP.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FelixB
Your fare basis should not matter. Your SENhood does though. Make sure it's in the system if you intend to credit to a different FFP.
I do indeed intend to credit the flight to UA. How do I get my SEN number in the system while crediting to UA? Do I just call Swiss and ask them to make a note of my SEN status?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LH/LX
And why do LH and LX don't release more first class award seats on their international flight as they have plenty of empty seats these days.

I would also like to know that. I had to book two first class tickets to Johannesburg with LH because LX did not release two seats in F

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.