Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10-hour layover at Zurich, which lounge can I hang out at?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:07 am
Original Poster

10-hour layover at Zurich, which lounge can I hang out at?

I will be arriving Zurich on United. I have Star Gold via United. The layover is about 10 hours. Catching Swiss from Zurich to Singapore.

As I have no reason to leave the airport, I'll probably just hangout at the airport. Which Swiss lounge is best for such extended layovers? I will exit customs upon arrival, due to checked luggage.

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
10 hours at an airport might be worth rethinking. Zurich is a beautiful city with a lot culture, history and if you enjoy food, that too. It's also very easily connected to the airport.

I do not believe you'll have access to the LX arrivals lounge but I could be wrong.

LX178 departs from Terminal 2 which has two or three non-schengen lounges you can access.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
10 hours at an airport might be worth rethinking. Zurich is a beautiful city with a lot culture, history and if you enjoy food, that too. It's also very easily connected to the airport.

I do not believe you'll have access to the LX arrivals lounge but I could be wrong.

You have plenty of time to go to downtown Zurich indeed, there are plenty of trains, and it takes only a couple of minutes.

If you wish to hang around the airport, you may wish to go the the SEN lounge in Terminal E.

And, indeed, it does not seem that you have access to the arrival lounge according to the M&M lounge search tool.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is a no brainer to head into Zurich by train.

The E lounge is really nice but that's about two or three hours worth, max.

If you're flying J on UA, there are mixed reports of Arrivals lounge access.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: Too many
I recently had a similar flight arrival and departure schedule at ZRH. I flew LX though so did stop in the arrivals lounge real quick for breakfast. I asked about leaving luggage and the lounge agent said the Swiss lounge D had that amenity. We opted to just pay a few euros and leave them in a locker as we didn't want to go back through security before heading to city. There are a bunch of lockers above the car park. Train was very quick into the city and we had a great day as Zurich is a amazing. I would echo the above comments and head into the city for a while and you will still have plenty of time to check out the lounges when you get back before your next flight. 2-3 hours in any of the lounges is far more than enough time IMO.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:01 am

Well, OP stated that he doesn't want to visit Zurich - as much a shame that is, it's his business. Might be just as well he can't enter Schengen area for some reasons..

In that case, and with his flights mentioned, basically the only (and best) choice will be to stay in the E Gates area, visiting the SEN lounge there.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Well, OP stated that he doesn't want to visit Zurich - as much a shame that is, it's his business. Might be just as well he can't enter Schengen area for some reasons..

In that case, and with his flights mentioned, basically the only (and best) choice will be to stay in the E Gates area, visiting the SEN lounge there.
Um you seem not to have connected the dots here . . . OP is the same person who you corrected for using HBF instead of Zurich HB. So clearly he took our advice
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Um you seem not to have connected the dots here . . . OP is the same person who you corrected for using HBF instead of Zurich HB. So clearly he took our advice
I'm sorry for confusing people.

Let me clarify. I will be spend a lot of time in and around Zurich for several days. Then I'm going to other parts of Switzerland and France for a couple of week. I will be returning to Zurich airport to catch my return flight. That's when I have the 10 hours to kill.(which is why I probably have no interest in going back into Zurich and wonder around town again)

I actually just found a solution. I booked a relatively cheap hotel right by the airport(1km away, according to Google Maps) I called the hotel and spoke to the manager who said it was okay for me to basically use it as a day room. So I'll just sleep, order room service and relax for 7 or 8 hours and then go back into the airport.

By the way, I'm still confused about the difference between HB and HBF.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
By the way, I'm still confused about the difference between HB and HBF.
Hbf is fine, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.