Search

SWISS quits Geneva?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, GHA Platinum
SWISS quits Geneva?!

http://www.tdg.ch/suisse/presence-sw...story/20404330

According to Tribune de Geneve from this morning (sorry the article is only in french), Lufthansa considers to replace SWISS by eurowings in Geneva
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:51 am

LH will give LX until 2018 to get out of the red in GVA.
In this plan called "Geneva reloaded", the new LX CEO plans i.e. to cut 25 % of the destinations out of GVA.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
A very bad and sad move.
I used to be GVA based, now DUS. I can feel the difference. As an EW customer you are always punished. More remote gates, no lounges at outstations where LX/LH pax get access to contract lounges etc.
But why is GVA not profitable? Because of EasyJet?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Really bad news as SWISS is a much loved brand at GVA these days. I hope the Swiss people tell LH where to go, although they probably don't have any say in the matter. The Zurich flight will undoubtedly remain as well as probably London.

Much the same situation as you, f4freeJunior, being mostly based near Düsseldorf these days. I find Eurowings a shade better than germanwings though, especially the crews.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Concerto
Really bad news as SWISS is a much loved brand at GVA these days. I hope the Swiss people tell LH where to go, although they probably don't have any say in the matter. The Zurich flight will undoubtedly remain as well as probably London.

Much the same situation as you, f4freeJunior, being mostly based near Düsseldorf these days. I find Eurowings a shade better than germanwings though, especially the crews.
And the JFK-flight is busy most of the time.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
A very bad and sad move.
No. A reckoning with market realities.
Originally Posted by Concerto
Really bad news as SWISS is a much loved brand at GVA these days
As long as they offer fares competitive with easyJet, I assume.

It is an unfortunate reality that European consumers, by voting with their wallet, have made it clear that they are willing to accept the "service" levels offered by LCCs on short-haul flights, in return for low fares. And that, conversely, they will not pay more to fly on a legacy airline.

In this situation, it is not surprising that the big 3 European legacy airline groups either retreat from LCC-infested markets, or switch out their mainline operation for Eurowings / Transavia / Vueling in order to prevail.

Consumers get exactly what they want - rock bottom fares with poor service. Can't have your chocolate and eat it

P.S. Edited to add that I can imagine enough high-yield demand for GVA-ZRH (connections), GVA-LCY, GVA-JFK to remain mainline.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
I couldn't care less if they ditched Ibiza, Zakynthos and Corfu from GVA. However, I would hate to see them leave destinations like DME, LHR and LCY. In fact most of my European travel ex GVA already requires a connection in FRA, ZRH or MUC - even destinations with a direct flight such as PRG and ATH don't have the frequency non-stop. AMS, CDG, BRU, MAD, VIE, etc are flown direct on other airlines.

Interestingly, as long a BEST fares on EW earn HON miles, these might be better than LX Y and below...
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't appear to be totally clear cut yet, according to bluewin (the Swisscom news portal):

https://www.bluewin.ch/fr/infos/econ...de-geneve.html
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:19 pm

They announced operating 100% of their GVA fleet with the new C-series, which should make profitability higher (less fuel consumption and better cabin).

I don't think they'll leave anytime soon.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by airoli
No. A reckoning with market realities.
As long as they offer fares competitive with easyJet, I assume.

It is an unfortunate reality that European consumers, by voting with their wallet, have made it clear that they are willing to accept the "service" levels offered by LCCs on short-haul flights, in return for low fares. And that, conversely, they will not pay more to fly on a legacy airline.

In this situation, it is not surprising that the big 3 European legacy airline groups either retreat from LCC-infested markets, or switch out their mainline operation for Eurowings / Transavia / Vueling in order to prevail.

Consumers get exactly what they want - rock bottom fares with poor service. Can't have your chocolate and eat it

P.S. Edited to add that I can imagine enough high-yield demand for GVA-ZRH (connections), GVA-LCY, GVA-JFK to remain mainline.
Umm... apart from a negligible sandwich, free drink, and a chocolate on board, there is actually no difference between Swiss and a LCC.

- Baggage fees? Check
- Seat assignment fees? Check
- No legroom? Check
- Terrible IRROPS handling? Check
- Self service checkin? Check

On short-haul I see absolutely no reason to fly Swiss, especially since it's easier for me to get a better seat on Easyjet (i.e. bulkhead).

Back when I didn't have to worry about bags (i.e. before the baggage fee nonsense) I was still drawn towards flying Swiss, having access to LCY can be nice too.

Last edited by televisor; Aug 21, 2016 at 11:21 pm
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, easyJet has become very much more mainstream these days. I would still prefer to fly SWISS though.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm shocked as I would think that Geneva would be a high yielding market.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:40 pm

I have read in an article the following parts of market for GVA (2015):

Easyjet 43 %
SWISS 15 %
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Well Swiss pretty well already pulled out of Geneva once before, so this has a smell of déja-vu.
Last time it happened was when Easyjet stepped in and it is now by far the number one operator at the airport.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have tried to make use of their new services where possible (eg to CPH and MAD) but the planes were pretty empty and I managed to score business upgrades for low prices. I think CPH has stopped now. It's possibly a question of "use it or lose it".

But I think they need to maintain a couple of routes that do well, like London and New York. Lufthansa kept Chicago and New York at Düsseldorf, didn't they? I always thought Paris CDG was an important route too, but that is now an Air France codeshare, an odd relationship to have. And it is quite expensive to buy with just the LX code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.