LX vs AC in J

Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: miles&smiles
LX vs AC in J

I've been looking at flights for an upcoming trip: IST - PHL and NYC - IST and I basically have two choices

A) Out and back in AC J
B) Out in AC and back in LX J

Flying LX will be about $200 more and I will loose out on about 3200 miles. I have never flown LX before but am happy to pay that extra to try it out, but is it worth it?

Thank you
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Upcoming as in in the next few weeks or during the summer time? Makes a big difference for AC as they are currently using their older, and less reliable B767 aircraft. Come late sspring time, this route (IST-YYZ) is moving to a Dreamliner B789 or B788 which is the newest plane in their fleet and a newer, somewhat more desirable seat configuration.

Also with AC, make sure it is an actual AC flight as they operate codeshare with TK on that route (TK and AC pretty much alternate their daily flights up until May/June)

Last edited by YOWCDNFF; Feb 12, 2016 at 7:53 pm
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by fezoff
I've been looking at flights for an upcoming trip: IST - PHL and NYC - IST and I basically have two choices

A) Out and back in AC J
B) Out in AC and back in LX J

Flying LX will be about $200 more and I will loose out on about 3200 miles. I have never flown LX before but am happy to pay that extra to try it out, but is it worth it?

Thank you
LX C >>>>>> AC C >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TK C except for the TK Istanbul lounge which is one of the best world wide - sure beats that crappy Qantas First Lounge here in Australia which mostly Ozzies rave about (I find the lack of airconditioning bad foods and bad wines consitent with the total Qantas experience - please note is said Ozzies rather than Aussies - you may know the difference ;-))))
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Upcoming as in in the next few weeks or during the summer time? Makes a big difference for AC as they are currently using their older, and less reliable B767 aircraft. Come late sspring time, this route (IST-YYZ) is moving to a Dreamliner B789 or B788 which is the newest plane in their fleet and a newer, somewhat more desirable seat configuration.

Also with AC, make sure it is an actual AC flight as they operate codeshare with TK on that route (TK and AC pretty much alternate their daily flights up until May/June)
It is in March and it is on the 767. From the pictures I have seen it does look a bit strange but I have heard from a few people that it is a good product. I would normally go for TK but the tickets are an additional $2000. Unless I take a day trip to Cairo and fly out from there. Never been to Cairo so might have a good day of sightseeing.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbourl
LX C >>>>>> AC C >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TK C except for the TK Istanbul lounge which is one of the best world wide - sure beats that crappy Qantas First Lounge here in Australia which mostly Ozzies rave about (I find the lack of airconditioning bad foods and bad wines consitent with the total Qantas experience - please note is said Ozzies rather than Aussies - you may know the difference ;-))))
Oz is actually the only continent I haven't set foot on yet. Well and Antartica. To tell you the truth, I don't know which one I'd prefer

I was in the IST TK Lounge earlier this week and I am actually not a massive fan anymore. I think it is good, but only in comparison to all the other rubbish lounges out there I think.

Last edited by fezoff; Feb 13, 2016 at 5:47 am
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by cbourl
..sure beats that crappy Qantas First Lounge here in Australia which mostly Ozzies rave about (I find the lack of airconditioning bad foods and bad wines consitent with the total Qantas experience - please note is said Ozzies rather than Aussies - you may know the difference ;-))))
As long as you are not calling them Ossies you ought to be safe in this forum.

I for one like the QF lounge and its food offerings a lot, better than those the TK lounge offers.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weero
As long as you are not calling them Ossies you ought to be safe in this forum.

I for one like the QF lounge and its food offerings a lot, better than those the TK lounge offers.
I am not really sure why the Aussie thing came in???
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I am not really sure why the Aussie thing came in???
Why I don't know ... but how is easy to follow.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weero
Why I don't know ... but how is easy to follow.
Still don't get the how. Must be the heat getting to me hahaha
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA, HA
(cbourl is going from experience, based in Australia)

Not sure how you feel about missing out on the relatively few mile/points, but you'll find many FTers who agree that LX business is a better ride (hard & soft products) than AC.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Oz is actually the only continent I haven't set foot on yet. Well and Antartica. To tell you the truth, I don't know which one I'd prefer

I was in the IST TK Lounge earlier this week and I am actually not a massive fan anymore. I think it is good, but only in comparison to all the other rubbish lounges out there I think.
TK IST is great Many lounges are no more than a glorified refectory and thats if they even offer food
AC lounges are some of the worst Ive ever been to I recall my most recent trip to an AC Lounge at St Johns NFL where the offering were a broken coffee machine (for the dirty dishwater style American coffee) and a few boiled eggs
I stand by my opinion of the QF First lounge the only thing decent is the spa - the food is awful wines are horrible and it was a relief to get onto BA First to have some real food You really havent missed much by not visiitng AU There are many wonderful natural beauties to our continent, but the quality of food, prices, pace of life etc etc mean I would probably prefer Antarctica if I was to visit the South Pacific - or even poor mans Switzerland New Zealand
LX are at least consitent, have a wonderful arrivals lounge with slumber rooms at ZRH, ample smoking faciltities and a system that lends itself to efficient stress free travel -from the F/Sen/*G security entries to departures hall A, extremely effficent freindly Immigration, clean well staffed lounges, great airport hotels such as Radisson Blu, fantastic public transport to/from downtown and also to other parts of Switzerland etc etc etc And on board I still love my throne in LX C and my F on A330 (looking forward to 777W F and the new E lounges)

And I can only speak from my personal experience

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.