Newbie Question Dubai immigration

Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Dubai immigration

Hi,

When flying with Swiss to Dubai in business class, is there a fasttrack for immigration or do I need to wait with all the economy passengers in line?

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
Don't know - but doubt it.
If there is not you may consider marhaba services:

http://www.marhabaservices.com/engli...ces/meet-greet

The bronze service should give you fast track access against payment....
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
There is a dedicated business class immigration counter but it is unlooked after!!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:25 pm

I was arriving at Dubai in Swiss F. Purser told me there will be somebody waiting for us. Nobody at the gate. Finally saw a sign with our names on a board at the beginning of the underground tunnel. After some wait they told us there will be somebody upstairs at the end of the tunnel. Nobody was there.
Pretty useless, even did cost some time. Looks like another new enhancement....

I did not see anything for business class passengers. Fortunately lines where not too long at that time. There where some premium immigration lines, but they where blocked off. Your best bet is to use the line to the immediate left of the premium lines since they call people over to other counters from that line.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I was arriving at Dubai in Swiss F. Purser told me there will be somebody waiting for us. Nobody at the gate. Finally saw a sign with our names on a board at the beginning of the underground tunnel. After some wait they told us there will be somebody upstairs at the end of the tunnel. Nobody was there.
Pretty useless, even did cost some time. Looks like another new enhancement....

I did not see anything for business class passengers. Fortunately lines where not too long at that time. There where some premium immigration lines, but they where blocked off. Your best bet is to use the line to the immediate left of the premium lines since they call people over to other counters from that line.
Strange - LX and LH pay for Marhaba service for F class passengers. They have for years - Dont know if biz class gets fast track, but if you want to avoid lines, book Marhaba yourself, Silver service gets you the buggy, the VIP immigration line (much faster then the fast track) and a porter if you need one from baggage claim to your car.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I travelled to DXB on LH in May.

There was a special immigration lane for F and C pax on LH, KLM and other carriers BUT it was by invitation only, i.e. you need fast lane pass from the flight crew or ground services upon arrival (the latter may be very difficult). I saw the majority of (angry) C class pax being turned away because they had no pass/invitation (obviously, they were not aware that they should have asked for it on the plane).

The imm. lines are very long in the late evening with many flights arriving around the same time, including LH and KLM.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:11 pm

Just to compare: I arrived last week in CX Business Class. CX handed out passes for the express imigration lines to business passengers.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I travelled to DXB on LH in May.

There was a special immigration lane for F and C pax on LH, KLM and other carriers BUT it was by invitation only, i.e. you need fast lane pass from the flight crew or ground services upon arrival (the latter may be very difficult). I saw the majority of (angry) C class pax being turned away because they had no pass/invitation (obviously, they were not aware that they should have asked for it on the plane).

The imm. lines are very long in the late evening with many flights arriving around the same time, including LH and KLM.
Why are you waiting in any line? If you have a European or American passport (yours is Danish)?? you can go right to the E Gates (same as Global Entry in the U.S.). The first time you use it immigration will register you (takes 5 min) and from then on no more lines in immigration. Right to the Egate, IRIS scan and your thru. Why aren't more Americans or Europeans using this?? Especially if flying into T1 which is a nightmare (even with fast track). The other option is Marhaba. $45 and you get the buggy, porter service and best of all, THe VIP/Diplomat immigration line (never seen more thrn 1-2 people on line for that

**ive never seen LH or LX give out fast track cards (maybe they do in J) but in F there is no need, F gets Marhaba service paid for by the airline. The problem is they don't tell you this. So if you don't normally fly LH/LX F into DXB there would be no reason for you to look for the Marhaba agent waiting for you. I always see F pax walk right by them cuz they don't know
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Thanks for this information. Too late for me. I had no idea that E gates were available. There was no information about this from LH and I don't think I noticed any information or the E gates in Terminal 1 - or maybe I noticed it but didn't think it was relevant for EU visitors. Are you sure E gates are available in Terminal 1?

If I had known I would of course have used it (yes, I'm eligible with a Danish passport). The lines for immigration were very long in when i was there.

Last edited by SK AAR; Aug 5, 2015 at 9:00 am
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Why are you waiting in any line? If you have a European or American passport (yours is Danish)?? you can go right to the E Gates (same as Global Entry in the U.S.). The first time you use it immigration will register you (takes 5 min) and from then on no more lines in immigration. Right to the Egate, IRIS scan and your thru. Why aren't more Americans or Europeans using this?? Especially if flying into T1 which is a nightmare (even with fast track).
Are you sure about that? I'm not either, but I've been confused about it for sometime now.

It appears there are Smart Gates and E-Gates. Smart Gate is available for visitors and does not require any registration. E-Gate requires either UAE citizenship or residency. Smart Gates are only available in Terminal 3, while E-gates are available in both Terminals 1 and 3.

I've waited way too long in ridiculous queues in Terminal 1, but as a US visitor I don't think I qualify for E-Gate. Someone please prove me wrong!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
Are you sure about that? I'm not either, but I've been confused about it for sometime now.

It appears there are Smart Gates and E-Gates. Smart Gate is available for visitors and does not require any registration. E-Gate requires either UAE citizenship or residency. Smart Gates are only available in Terminal 3, while E-gates are available in both Terminals 1 and 3.

I've waited way too long in ridiculous queues in Terminal 1, but as a US visitor I don't think I qualify for E-Gate. Someone please prove me wrong!
Yes, I'm sure. You DO qualify for E gate use with you American passport. I'm a resident (American) so moot for me but I've had my family all register for E gate use for when they visit (too often . The smart gates IMO are useless but the official E gate policy is GCC Citizen, UAE resident, Skywards Gold/Plat & passport holders from Europe, USA & a few other countries like Singapore, Canada, etc

*** not sure if ALL Skywards Gold/Plat get it. It is a listed benefit but I can't imagine them letting ALL passport holders use them, especially if they are from countries that needs visas (Russia, Pakistan & a few others with lots of traffic but strict visa rules)
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:46 am

But you do have to register beforehand to get the card to use an E-Gate (and pay €50 or so for the privilege), so it is only useful if you are visiting multiple times and have time to spare to register.

Unfortunately, last time I visited Dubai (April) there were no smart-gates (where you don't need to register and can just enter with your passport) in the arrivals terminal that Swiss use. It looked like they were renovating, so maybe they have been built since.

The immigration queues took a long time, and were very poorly organised. There is an individual queue for each immigration desk, so if you pick one with a slow agent or lots of problems you can be there a long time. Last time arriving on Swiss it took about 1 hour.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR
But you do have to register beforehand to get the card to use an E-Gate (and pay €50 or so for the privilege), so it is only useful if you are visiting multiple times and have time to spare to register.

Unfortunately, last time I visited Dubai (April) there were no smart-gates (where you don't need to register and can just enter with your passport) in the arrivals terminal that Swiss use. It looked like they were renovating, so maybe they have been built since.

The immigration queues took a long time, and were very poorly organised. There is an individual queue for each immigration desk, so if you pick one with a slow agent or lots of problems you can be there a long time. Last time arriving on Swiss it took about 1 hour.
Use Marhaba. They use the VIP immigration - no line at all

I was not aware that there is a $50 charge to register for E gate since it's free for Skywards gold & plat but even if your only traveling to Dubai once or twice a year, $50 is worth not standing in line forever.

I realized last night when I returned to DXB from SIN that the reason most passengers on airlines other then EK don't know they qualify for this is it's simply not advertised and not worth the space in an inflight magazine of an airline with 1-2 flights to Dubai. On the other hand EK's magazine devotes 2 pages to E gates, who qualifies, where they are, etc. skywards gold & Plat have the magnetic strip clearly marked "for use with Dubai E gates"

Last edited by chinatraderjmr; Sep 3, 2015 at 1:32 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.