Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No longer able to reserve a seat on Swiss as a UA StarAlliance Gold?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

No longer able to reserve a seat on Swiss as a UA StarAlliance Gold?

Just booked a flight on Swiss (ZRH-ORD). I got a seat in the second last row as a UA SA Gold (lifetime). I called twice and got different answers on why I can't get another seat.

I heard there are some new rules on Swiss for seat assignments. However, both CS I talked to were not aware of any changes.

Does anyone have any insight on this?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I fear that some do.

here .
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Very strange concept. So, how can a corporate customer (using a corporate travel agency) even pay them for a seat? Seems like they have not thought this through.
When I called, they did not offer any pay premium. CS seemed to be rather confused what is going on. One told me it is because the flight is already 75% sold out. An other one told me that flight is pretty much empty and could not understand.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nikleb
Very strange concept. So, how can a corporate customer (using a corporate travel agency) even pay them for a seat?
Online using a credit card. Why is a corporate customer flying Y?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

How? Not sure I understand the question about "corporate customer flying Y"
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On Swiss.com. Not working?
Seat assignments in C and F are still possible and free of charge. ORD-ZRH is not a route that most corporate customers would ever consider flying in Y ... hence LX is not terribly concerned.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:36 pm

It is a very common Euro-centric view on things: a good customer flies biz and hence do not deserve further rip-off by the airline.
Very strange concept. So, how can a corporate customer (using a corporate travel agency) even pay them for a seat? Seems like they have not thought this through..
I agree - in the North American markets this won't fly well.

But then I myself would not fly an EU carrier over a US one in coach. Unless of course I get to sit in a 380 ...
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Corporate US flying biz/first is pretty much over.

I took Swiss several times back from ZRH. I always got assigned a good seat by default and the airline is slightly better than any US, plus direct routing.
It seems that with the changes on July 8th something happened.

Can't use a credit card to add options on a corporate travel agency. Can't do it on UA. I am not a miels&more customer.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:59 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
Why is a corporate customer flying Y?
Because there are quite a number of companies out there making the math and figuring that a paying the premium for business class for standard fares does not offset the additional labor time that can be squeezed out of an employee when traveling in business.

What kind of business are you working in that you seem to think all corporate customers would be flying business or first?

HTB.

Last edited by htb; Jul 20, 2014 at 11:47 am Reason: "lots of companies", "not lots of airlines"
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by htb
Because there are quite a number of airlines out there making the math and figuring that a paying the premium for business class for standard fares does not offset the additional labor time that can be squeezed out of an employee when traveling in business..
Very true ... but then I thought for a long time that this was a pretence argument of OPMs a along.

I had FAs on day flights (sic!) forward complaints to me from passengers for using the computer too much. They felt annoyed by someone typing excessively rather than sleeping and watching movies. The last one was on LX nb.

Of course one can simply substitute the "opportunity to work" argument for the "well rested" one.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Is a Swiss SEN getting a premium seat on UA coach?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Gold
No reserved LH seats

Just had the same problem. Booked on LH's 380 IAH-FRA in December and they won't give me an assigned seat. Called UA's Prem Exec desk and they said even though it's a UA codeshare flight, LH will not give UA's elite custsomers ANY pre-reserved seats any more unless they pay extra for the privilege.
So without forking $ over to LH, one runs the risk of being 1K and getting stuck in the middle seat of a 380 for 11 hours.
LH is my most frequently chosen airline, other than UA. But no more.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htb
What kind of business are you working in that you seem to think all corporate customers would be flying business or first?

HTB.
company in DJA. Domestic sure and even a quick intl. hop but an 8 hr intercontinental flight? I'd for sure upgrade if I was forced to book coach on such a trip and be expected to function upon arrival.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
company in DJA. Domestic sure and even a quick intl. hop but an 8 hr intercontinental flight? I'd for sure upgrade if I was forced to book coach on such a trip and be expected to function upon arrival.
If I made a quarter a mil I be stunned like you that people can travel in coach for work. I do not however, and given the choice of spending $1k per direction to fly in C (and that's a lowball number, given my flexible schedule and cheap originating market) versus $100 for a hotel night to recover, I choose the latter.
Ergo, a lost productivity day for the 99% workforce is probably less then C-Y.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Andie007
Is a Swiss SEN getting a premium seat on UA coach?
Yes. They get for free any E- seat they crave at the time of booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.