Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More > Swiss International Air Lines
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 13, 12, 1:20 am   #1

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador - M&M SEN - BAEC "Bronze"
First time First: night or day flight?

Flying to Chicago next month with LX with my wife.
We are booked in C-class but was thinking to upgrade one sector to F-class.
What would you recommend to fully enjoy the First class for the first time; upgrade the outbound ZRH-ORD day-flight or the inbound ORD-ZRH night-flight?
janvdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 12, 3:14 am   #2

I would upgrade the day flight.... you get to enjoy the service a little more and for me the LX C seat is fine for sleeping (and it's good for a day flight as well....).
RTW1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 12, 5:54 am   #3

Programs: LH Senator, AF Platinum, Marriott Gold
Definitely day flight!
JanoSicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 12, 5:57 am   #4

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador - M&M SEN - BAEC "Bronze"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanoSicek View Post
Definitely day flight!
With the arguments being...?
janvdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 12, 6:10 am   #5

Programs: LX, TK, Starwood, Hilton, Avis
Day flight. Excellent catering ex ZRH, full, elaborate lunch service (vs. an abridged dinner service), better lounge in ZRH, plenty of "awake time" to enjoy the flight - which is also a bit longer westbound.

As others have mentioned, the fully-flat C seats are perfectly comfortable for sleeping, so you'll be fine on the overnight.
Old Jul 13, 12, 9:49 am   #6

Programs: AF/KL Gold, AC, US
Day flight of course!
Longer flight, can enjoy lounge in ZRH, good service on board.

Night flights are for sleeping and you can sleep very well in J.
Old Jul 13, 12, 11:07 am   #7

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AA, HYATT DIA, HH DIA, SPG
As someone who flies this route frequantly, I would advise you also of taking the day flight from ZRH to ORD. It is the best way to maximize your F experience and also cutting down the waiting time upon arrival at ORD immigration and customs inspection.
NA-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 12, 9:32 am   #8

Well, I personally prefer flying F instead of C on the way back from ORD. Especially if you are a grown up man

Departure is 7 pm, you can still enjoy the great full dinner service and then get a very comfortable sleep in your newly refurbished F cabon on the A333.
C is for me absolutely ok westbound, decent food, good seat, good service and the chance for a short 1-2hour nap after the meals service.
Fendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 12, 1:37 am   #9

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendant View Post
Departure is 7 pm, you can still enjoy the great full dinner service and then get a very comfortable sleep in your newly refurbished F cabon on the A333.
Can you elaborate on that?
goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:46 am   #10

My vote is for the night flight.

I agree, Food is better out of ZRH compared to the returns from the US. But a good restaurant still has better food than you will get on an airplane.

My main point is: i am able to sleep well in F, arrive more relaxed and it is far easier for me to get over jetlag (especially on eastbound flights).
This way i would try to upgrade on the return, eat before boarding and maximize sleeping time.
Unterwegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 12, 9:52 am   #11

Another vote for the night flight - much better opportunity for a good nights sleep in nice Swiss PJs than C in your travel clothes, and that's what's really worth it. AVOD is the same in both, and you board in ORD early enough to still enjoy the F food for dinner before crashing.
Tartegnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 12, 11:56 pm   #12

Try from ORD in F the earlier flight LX 2609 leaving 2:40pm and arriving ZRH 6:20 am. Use the arrival lounge with 28 showers and enjoy a full day in ZRH or hop on one of the short haul connecting flights.
This week I had one of the best steaks above the clouds ( I agree with the poster above it still can not match Smith & Wollensky's or Kinzie's).
Old Jul 20, 12, 11:59 pm   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath View Post
Can you elaborate on that?
All Swiss 333's have now the new F cabin with the cozy mini suite feel and great sleep comfort. Currently ZRH-ORD are 333 on both flights LX 2608 and LX 8.
Old Jul 21, 12, 2:18 am   #14

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendant View Post
All Swiss 333's have now the new F cabin with the cozy mini suite feel and great sleep comfort. Currently ZRH-ORD are 333 on both flights LX 2608 and LX 8.
Ah, I see what you mean. But all LX A333s always had the new F, so they were never refurbished to something new(er).
goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 12, 5:34 am   #15

Programs: A3*G, HH Gold, Plenty of Nothing
I go with the day flight. I really enjoyed ZRH-YUL in F with the time to enjoy the full service and a movie, sleep for a couple of hours then wake up for the light meal before landing.

In contrast, a faster J service would be fine for the short overnight flight. And breakfast in F was nothing special so you should be fine with the J breakfast while also maximizing sleep time.
*A Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote