FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Swiss Baggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1364175-swiss-baggage.html)

Errata Jul 7, 2012 4:30 pm

Swiss Baggage

I'd appreciate the help of FT'ers after struggling to find a definitive answer on the Swiss and Star Alliance sites.

I am *G and will be travelling LX Y with a friend from DXB to ZRH in a few days time. My ticket was issued some time back in March.

Firstly, I understand that I get an extra 23kg bag, making my total allowance 2 x 23kg. Will this privilege also be extended to my friend with whom I will be travelling and checking-in with?

Secondly and more importantly, I have a folding bicycle, 11kg, that I wish to take as my second piece of baggage in addition to my ~20kg case. Will I be allowed to take the bike as my second piece of baggage or will I be charged something, despite the fact that it is folded away into a size less than that of my case?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

UAPremExecflyer Jul 7, 2012 7:36 pm

The rules are pretty clear:
*G in Y gets you 2 x 23kg.
You have 1 x 20kg + 11kg bike. Your baggage is within limits.
Your friend is on his/her own.

Errata Jul 8, 2012 12:20 am

Thanks for the advice.

I have located this on the Swiss website:

Terms
There is always a charge for transporting sports equipment regardless of the baggage allowance on SWISS flights. Sports equipment of the category “Small” is excepted provided it does not exceed the baggage allowance.
Although my folding bicycle fits the dimensions of the "small" category, the baggage table goes on to read that bicycles are a "Sport Equipment with fixed categorisation" in the medium category, meaning that a charge applies.

However, elsewhere on the site it reads

Your checked sports equipment is free of charge if within your free baggage allowance.
Does anyone have some recent experience of trying to fly with a bike within the luggage limits?

Rudi Jul 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Errata (Post 18889301)
... Although my folding bicycle fits the dimensions of the "small" category, ...

why not put/pack/hide your folded bicycle into an ordinary bag?

GK1998 Jul 11, 2012 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Errata (Post 18889301)
Thanks for the advice.

I have located this on the Swiss website:

Although my folding bicycle fits the dimensions of the "small" category, the baggage table goes on to read that bicycles are a "Sport Equipment with fixed categorisation" in the medium category, meaning that a charge applies.

However, elsewhere on the site it reads

Does anyone have some recent experience of trying to fly with a bike within the luggage limits?

put the bike in a regular bag. I have taken a full-sized mountin bike on several transantlantic trips without ever having to pay the bike fee. no questions asked.