Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 9:38 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
This is a very useful thread. I'm a little surprised there aren't more posts with other experiences. I'm helping a friend and his wife on an award ticket for USA-ZRH-CDG and thinking that 55 minutes is just pushing it since they are checking bags. Yes, chances are they would make it, but why start out your vacation worried about a connection in a new airport (for them)?
Which airline are they flying ZRH-CDG? They should be able to check their bags through to CDG so they only need to clear security and passport control. Their route should be: arrive in E, clear transfer security, ride Skymetro train to the main terminal, clear passport control and go to the departure gate in A or B (usually A assuming they are flying LX).

Have you looked at the ZRH transfer guide? Flights from the US often arrive early.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Which airline are they flying ZRH-CDG? They should be able to check their bags through to CDG so they only need to clear security and passport control. Their route should be: arrive in E, clear transfer security, ride Skymetro train to the main terminal, clear passport control and go to the departure gate in A or B (usually A assuming they are flying LX).

Have you looked at the ZRH transfer guide? Flights from the US often arrive early.
They are arriving on LX from SFO and then LX again into CDG. They ended up choosing the shorter, one hour connection because even if they are late and miss that the next flight is 2.5 hrs later. They should be fine.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
They are arriving on LX from SFO and then LX again into CDG. They ended up choosing the shorter, one hour connection because even if they are late and miss that the next flight is 2.5 hrs later. They should be fine.
I wouldn't recommend booking a European shorthaul to longhaul transfer with one hour connection when the next flight is not until the following day but from a longhaul to a shorthaul shouldn't be a problem as there are later flights on the same day.
Old May 24, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: AC-SE
Connection time in ZRH

Hi Folks,

Quick question , booking a flight lhr-zrh zrh-nbo, and the connection time seems to be 45 min. Is that enough time to make connection for myself and my bags?

Flying Swiss..

Thanks!
Old May 24, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
Originally Posted by uzi16
Hi Folks,

Quick question , booking a flight lhr-zrh zrh-nbo, and the connection time seems to be 45 min. Is that enough time to make connection for myself and my bags?

Flying Swiss..

Thanks!
Throretically yes, but LHR Flights are frequently delayed due to the congestion there... Having said that, the early (6am LX345) Flight you're talking about is almost always on time as it doesn't suffer from knockon delays having overnighted at Heathrow, but with no alternative (direct) Flights to Nairobi until the next day, you're taking a bit of a chance.
Old May 26, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: Finnair , Marriot Gold
Flying Ath-Zrh- Bom 1.30 hrs connecting time should be enough as the bags booked all the way thru and security checked at Athens. Just passport control at ZRH then ??
Old May 26, 2012, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by jakas
Flying Ath-Zrh- Bom 1.30 hrs connecting time should be enough as the bags booked all the way thru and security checked at Athens. Just passport control at ZRH then ??
Yes.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
ZHR 55 min connection to US

on June 29 I will be connecting in ZHR from Milan MXP and continuing to MIA in F (all LX) with 55 min connection time. Is that enough also for checked bags? No extra security for flights to US?
Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
ZHR 55 min connection to US

There is extra security for flights to the US from ZRH. However, there are many connections that appear to be around an hour and doable.

Frankly, I would try for a bit more time, just in case your inbound flight is delayed.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
United Transfer Desk in ZRH

Very useful thread.

Have an IAD-ZRH-IAD already booked on UA, but might have to do a side trip to Berlin. My ZRH-IAD leg leaves at 11:55, and am considering an Air Berlin flight from TXL scheduled to arrive at ZRH at 10:10. I'm used to FRA, and have never transferred at ZRH, so not sure of a few things.

Does anyone know where the Air Berlin flights arrive (I assume A or B)?

As I won't be able to get my ZRH-IAD boarding pass in TXL, is there any type of UA transfer desk that will save me from having to exit to the check in counter?

Finally, based on the transfer document and info posted earlier, am I right to assume there shouldn't be any extra security b/c it's a US-bound flight?

Thanks all
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
55 minutes is no problem at ZRH. You'll arrive in A and leave from E meaning you'll have to take the Heidi train.

Note, there is NO special security anymore for US bound flights at ZRH!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Thank you!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:32 am

Normally, AB flights get in at B, the time to get to E should be no more than 15 mins (there is a passport checkpoint along the way, but I never waited more than 5 mins.

As far as I know, there is no UA desk inside the secure area, but will you not be able to get the BP via OLCI?

If you are in C or F, going out to check in and then going back in should take no longer than 15 mins.

I am not sure which ground handler UA has on contract at ZRH, but you might be able to try at the transfer desks. There is one at the base of the B pier and one at the base of the A pier, as well as a few at E, I am not sure however if they can handle UA.

Securitywise, you should be OK. I had flights out of ZRH to SFO, PHL and ORD this year and there was no extra security.

Happy flying
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:01 am

It's probably best if you just head directly to your departure gate after arrival from TXL, since it'll save you the trouble of an additional security check.

Swissport handles UA flights at ZRH. The transfer desk at the B pier is usually not attended. You have the option of contacting the transfer tesk right by the A Gates, the one in Dock E or heading directly to your UA gate.

I'm not fully familiar with UA's ground processes, but from what I've observed, US carriers usually have a separate desk for transit passengers at the gate.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
Originally Posted by pilatusguy
You'll arrive in A and leave from E meaning you'll have to take the Heidi train.
Or as the OP is flying in F, he could go to the F Lounge and get driven to E Dock rather than having to take the Heidi Train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.