Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:07 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by bruce80
What usually annoys me the most (even though I seldom arrive in E) is the re-packaging of any liquid in carry-on baggage. I really don't know why they do that in the first place (and there really is no need to put the old liquid bag neatly folded into the new one), but that seems to be what makes waiting at E transit security a pain. Better not take any duty free liquids with you, as that will significantly increase the processing speed after an unclean arrival.
That was exactly my experience yesterday. So annoying. Even more annoying was the very thorough and rather invasive pat down due to my titanium knee replacements.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:38 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I have a USA-ZRH-LON connection coming up. Both flights LX metal. Would I need to reclear transit security? Connection is 50 mins, so somewhat tight. Also, does LX provide ramp transfers for F pax in such cases? Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
I have a USA-ZRH-LON connection coming up. Both flights LX metal. Would I need to reclear transit security? Connection is 50 mins, so somewhat tight. Also, does LX provide ramp transfers for F pax in such cases? Thanks.
While USA arrivals are considered "clean", the setup for flights to the UK is that they mostly depart from the D (Non Schengen next to main buildings) Gates - your flight from the US most probably arrives at the E gates.

There is no Non-Schengen clean connection between those areas.

You can either go via Schengen (follow signs "A Gates") BUT that will require you to immigrate into Schengen (Not really an issue with a CH/EU/EFTA passport, other passport owners might get questions - if you're allowed to enter Schengen - why you're transiting this way (Since the official path is E->D direct, with security at either end)

Anyway, both the double immigration way via A, or the direct way with extra security should not take longer than 15 minutes. 50min are doable in ZRH, but obviously not much lounge time (or none at all) - LX doesn't offer a direct ramp transfer (only for GVA flights) so you will be best off walking directly towards the D gates upon arrival ..
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:51 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Thanks YuropFlyer.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:09 am

Hi everyone, I have been looking through the thread but I have seen a similar flight to mine, ARN-ZUR-HKG-HAN. And from ZUR-HKG, I have 40 mins layover, but I would be a bit more confident that I could make it there, since I won't go through much hassle of passport control because I flight from a Schengen country.
But what I'm really concern is on my way back from ZUR-ARN, I only have 40 mins from my arrival from HKG, and from what I've read it would be at E, and since I flight back from a non-schengen country, I will have to go through passport control, and what is more of a problem is that I don't hold EU passport (I only have residence permit).

Anyone thinks that this is doable?

Last edited by linhphd; May 3, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Old May 8, 2017, 1:51 pm

Arriving 11:35a on a Sunday by LX from Heathrow, connecting to Moscow on the same ticket ... I have two options: either the 12:20p or the 9:45p departure.

Would it be too optimistic to shoot for the 12:20 flight?

Thanks.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
Arriving 11:35a on a Sunday by LX from Heathrow, connecting to Moscow on the same ticket ... I have two options: either the 12:20p or the 9:45p departure.

Would it be too optimistic to shoot for the 12:20 flight?

Thanks.
Book the earlier one. If you misconnect, they'll put you on the other one anyway.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
Book the earlier one. If you misconnect, they'll put you on the other one anyway.
Unless it's during high season when all flights to Moscow will be packed.

I agree that your advise is correct generally. However, there are a few days a year where you can bet that the evening flight is fully booked too, and you might have trouble when you're just standby onto it..
Old May 9, 2017, 10:49 am

Thanks!

LX is allowing me to book the (earlier) connection, so I will do that and rely on Swiss punctuality to get me through

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Unless it's during high season when all flights to Moscow will be packed.

I agree that your advise is correct generally. However, there are a few days a year where you can bet that the evening flight is fully booked too, and you might have trouble when you're just standby onto it..
Old May 9, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
Thanks!

LX is allowing me to book the (earlier) connection, so I will do that and rely on Swiss punctuality to get me through
Well, you really should take into consideration that you'll be flying in from LHR - I think I have never had an on-time arrival from there, but anyway - if you miss your connection, it's LX' problem, not yours.

And considering that your arrival delay would be more than 3 hours in case you'll miss the flight, you would even be entitled to compensation, as far as I understand the rules. As long as you don't need to be in Moscow at the earlier time, I would go for it.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by bruce80
Well, you really should take into consideration that you'll be flying in from LHR - I think I have never had an on-time arrival from there, but anyway - if you miss your connection, it's LX' problem, not yours.

And considering that your arrival delay would be more than 3 hours in case you'll miss the flight, you would even be entitled to compensation, as far as I understand the rules. As long as you don't need to be in Moscow at the earlier time, I would go for it.
Unfortunately, LX is one of the, if not THE hardest airline, to get EU261 compensation from.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I'm planning our Easter 2018 trip and we need miles from UA to re-qualify *G, wonder if this itinerary is doable:

Leaving CPH at 07.45 (SK metal), arrive at ZRH at 9.40

Leaving ZRH at 10.35 on UA metal to IAD

Connecting time 55 minutes - should I chance it or should I look into other connections? From what I can see the MCT at ZRH is 40 minutes, so I assume the connection is legal.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old May 28, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by nacho
I'm planning our Easter 2018 trip and we need miles from UA to re-qualify *G, wonder if this itinerary is doable:

Connecting time 55 minutes - should I chance it or should I look into other connections? From what I can see the MCT at ZRH is 40 minutes, so I assume the connection is legal.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Yes, its doable if flights were on-time... You need to pass EU passport emigration and then take the train from Terminal A to E.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nacho

Thanks a lot in advance!
It's doable, but personally I would not chance it. My tolerance is 70 minutes, especially if I can visit a lounge when things don't go sour and I have extra time. Bad experiences at AMS and ZRH (coincidentally) keep me from cutting it close anymore; just not worth the stress to me, but everyone has to decide their own risk acceptance.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Yes, its doable if flights were on-time... You need to pass EU passport emigration and then take the train from Terminal A to E.

Schengen immigration. Has nothing to do with EU. Some EU members are part of Schengen some are not. Some Non EU members are part of Schengen. (like Switzerland)

A flight from LHR gets the same immigration treatment as one from NYC. One from MAD is "domestic" since both Spain and Switzerland are Schengen members.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.