Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: EK Skywards, QFF, LH Sen, SPG, Asia MIles
Looking at taking LX317 from LHR to ZRH, arriving at 11.35, then LX1326 from ZRH to DME at 12.20 (business class on same ticket). Is the 45 minute connection time a problem?

I've never transmitted through ZRH before. What gates are generally used for these flights at ZRH and how do I get from the arrival gate to the departure gate?

Do I need to pass through immigration and security? I'll be on and Australian passport.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:15 am

You connect Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen. No passport control.

Depending on the Gates, you might have to pass a security check (or alternatively, a double-passport control) when you've to connect from D to E gates, or vice versa. But even then, it's totally doable..
Old Sep 16, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: EK Skywards, QFF, LH Sen, SPG, Asia MIles
Thanks for the information. I'll probably make the booking and hope that the flight from LHR does not run late. The difference in price between the short connection flight and the others with longer connection times is unbelievable. Thanks again.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Had a 45 min. connection STR-ZRH-BOM recently. I made it - sadly no time for the lounge - but my bag didn't (all bags from STR didn't make it). Took forever to process the missing baggage claim at BOM, but at least got a huge amenity bag and 6500 Rs cash (~100 US$) on the spot as compensation.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver - UNITED SA Silver
Hello,

I'll be flying SWISS:
ORD 19.15 -ZRH 10.55
then ZRH 12.05 - LHR 13.00
class : BUSINESS

Is that ok in terms of connecting time?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Incoming Flight from LHR, outgoing flight to NCE - how to proceed at ZRH?

My daughter on Thurs arrives from YOW via LHR on a LX flight. She then goes to a LX flight to NCE. She has about 2 hours of connection time at ZRH.

What are the directions and steps from the arriving flight to departing flight? Does she have enough time for the connection? If she has enough time, which lounge can she use - she is flying business class (through my Aeroplan miles); but she has no status.

Does she have to change terminal buildings, by going on the intra-terminal airside train?

Presumably, she has to go through security control and passport control?

What is the average time she would take going between the arrival gate and the departing gate?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Please see the ZRH connection thread.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:25 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
My daughter on Thurs arrives from YOW via LHR on a LX flight. She then goes to a LX flight to NCE. She has about 2 hours of connection time at ZRH.

What are the directions and steps from the arriving flight to departing flight? Does she have enough time for the connection? If she has enough time, which lounge can she use - she is flying business class (through my Aeroplan miles); but she has no status.

Does she have to change terminal buildings, by going on the intra-terminal airside train?

Presumably, she has to go through security control and passport control?

What is the average time she would take going between the arrival gate and the departing gate?
Flights from LHR usually arrive at a D gate and passengers can enter the terminal on the departure (secure) level. This means there is no need to clear security but just passport control at the end of the concourse into the transfer area which leads to A departure area for the NCE flight. There is no need to take the intra-terminal train. Two hours should be more than enough and she will have the time to visit the LX Business Lounge (#11 on the map).

Information for transfer passengers may be found here.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Next week I have a 12-hour layover in ZRH (flying ORD-ZRH-JNB in LX business class).

My intention is to spend most of that layover in the city, rather than in the airport.

My presumption has been that:
(a) I will be able to take a shower somewhere when I arrive (I am *A Gold through UA); and
(b) I will not need to haul my checked bag into the city with me, as either it will have been checked straight through, or if not I can reclaim it and hand it back off to LX staff for processing.

Are my presumptions valid?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by rowenb
Next week I have a 12-hour layover in ZRH (flying ORD-ZRH-JNB in LX business class).

My intention is to spend most of that layover in the city, rather than in the airport.

My presumption has been that:
(a) I will be able to take a shower somewhere when I arrive (I am *A Gold through UA); and
(b) I will not need to haul my checked bag into the city with me, as either it will have been checked straight through, or if not I can reclaim it and hand it back off to LX staff for processing.

Are my presumptions valid?

Thanks in advance.
a) You'll have access to the LX arrival lounge (open till 1pm) through arriving on LX C. UA Gold will not do anything here (but arriving in C is enough)

Alternatively, if you fancy a good breakfast (the one in the Arrival lounge does it's job, but is inferior to the fresh cooked one in Gate E) you could shower+enjoy breakfast in the new SEN E lounge (access with your Gold status) - not even needing an extra security check, since arriving from the US is considered "clean", ie arriving on departure levels.

You might really want to do that, since getting into the city in early morning really isn't very nice, full trains, people in a rush, and generally early mornings aren't very pleasant from the weather side as well unless in summer..

I'd enjoy in the lounge with a good shower and some tasty breakfast till around 8.30 or 9am, then leave for the city for the day. Just buy a day-ticket for Zone 110 and 121. This covers Zurich itself and the area north of it (including the Glattzentrum, which is a good alternative for a rainy/cold day for some shopping) around the Airport.

b) Exactly. Normal check-through, nothing to worry about (assuming it's one ticket)
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Just as a point of information, I had a 60-minute connection at ZRH a little over a week ago (GVA-ZRH-ARN) but due to the creeping delays of the GVA-ZRH flight, the connection time shrank to 10 minutes. Not only did I make it, but the 37 other pax connecting did as well (the lounge agent at GVA told me the number). I was positively surprised to see my bag on the belt at ARN, too.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by GaryK84
Just as a point of information, I had a 60-minute connection at ZRH a little over a week ago (GVA-ZRH-ARN) but due to the creeping delays of the GVA-ZRH flight, the connection time shrank to 10 minutes. Not only did I make it, but the 37 other pax connecting did as well (the lounge agent at GVA told me the number). I was positively surprised to see my bag on the belt at ARN, too.
Well, question is, how would that look if you were the only passenger to connect?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bruce80
Well, question is, how would that look if you were the only passenger to connect?
I suspect I would have been looking at a hotel room ceiling that evening if I'd been the only connecting passenger!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Q. connecting SFO-ZRH-FLR + FLR-ZRH-NYC

Just found this thread - so helpful!
We are planning travel with the above parameters - the connection is on Air Helvetic FLR-ZRH and ZRH-FLR, and connection times are 75 minutes one way and 90 min I think for the other. Is this enough time for a nervous nellie like me in wintertime?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by squeakr
Just found this thread - so helpful!
We are planning travel with the above parameters - the connection is on Air Helvetic FLR-ZRH and ZRH-FLR, and connection times are 75 minutes one way and 90 min I think for the other. Is this enough time for a nervous nellie like me in wintertime?
SFO-ZRH-FLR:
Arriving from US at E (sometimes D). No security check - only passport control.
Departure to Italy from A or B (most likely A). Helvetic aircrafts often have an apron position, so bus drive from gate to plane.

FLR-ZRH-NYC:
Arriving in A (or B). Maybe on apron position, in that case bus to the terminal A.
Departure to NYC in E (or sometimes in D). No security check, only passport control.

For both, you should not need more than 15-20 min. Gates close 10 min. before departure time.
I find ZRH to be really efficient - also in winter.
In case of heavy delay, you will be rebooked onto another flight (assuming your connections are on 1 ticket).
Sometimes they hold a flight for 10-15 min. and wait for connecting pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.