Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA
Hi all, my better half is flying ORD-ZRH-OTP in Y with a 1h10m connection time. Based on reading prior posts, seems like he'll be okay, is that correct? Any advice I can pass on to him is appreciated, as he's an infrequent flier and I have no personal experience with ZRH.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by polkacat
Hi all, my better half is flying ORD-ZRH-OTP in Y with a 1h10m connection time. Based on reading prior posts, seems like he'll be okay, is that correct? Any advice I can pass on to him is appreciated, as he's an infrequent flier and I have no personal experience with ZRH.

Thanks in advance!
Check departure gate on Arrival, then follow the signs. Wait next to the Gate (unless lounge access) till boarding starts. Make sure to be within the limits of hand luggage (weight and size)
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Regarding the return, as you have to clear security anyway, i would STRONGLY suggest to use the arrival lounge for shower and a much better breakfast. You will only use a few minutes more to walk this way and depending on queues might even be faster.
I was actually wondering about this - I have 1:40 in ZRH (EWR-ZRH-MUC). Is it much better to use the arrival lounge as opposed to the A lounge? If you have to re-clear security anyway...
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
I was actually wondering about this - I have 1:40 in ZRH (EWR-ZRH-MUC). Is it much better to use the arrival lounge as opposed to the A lounge? If you have to re-clear security anyway...
EWR is, from what I know, considered "clean", so no security in ZRH. However, security in ZRH rarely is a hassle, I'd say as Senator/C class pax you've rarely to wait more than 3 minutes. Considering the checkin deadline LX offers for their passengers in ZRH (30min for C/F, 40min for Y) the airport is designed for fast, hassle-free travel which includes security.

That said, with 1hr 40min, it's just about enough to go landside, enjoy the arrival lounge, and go back through security.

Difference in walking will just be a few minutes in total, and as said, security won't add that much time. I'd say, as long as you exit the airplane more than 1hr30min before your departure, going for the Arrivals Lounge is a good idea. Immigration might have a shorter (or longer) queue when you go towards "Exit Zürich" instead of transfer A, but that's down to your luck. Many transfer passengers, and you'll be faster in the Arrival Lounge than they'll be in Terminal A.

If 15min for a shower and another 15min for breakfast are fine for you, you've more than ample time when leaving the plane 1hr30min before departure assuming you take 15min from plane door to lounge entry. Leaving the Arrival lounge 45min before departure will be more than enough to catch your flight to MUC.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:35 am

Great, thanks! ^
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:05 am

Immigration and customs at ZRH for transfer?

I'm doing SFO- ZRH -GVA this week all on LX. Do I assume I do immigration and customs at ZRH?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Starman
I'm doing SFO- ZRH -GVA this week all on LX. Do I assume I do immigration and customs at ZRH?
Immigration yes, I'm not sure about customs however.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Immigration as you enter the Schengen area. You can't do customs in ZRH as you won't have access to your luggage, thus you'll do it in GVA.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by duvin
Immigration as you enter the Schengen area. You can't do customs in ZRH as you won't have access to your luggage, thus you'll do it in GVA.
Thanks. That seems quite unusual compared to entry at most other nations, where luggage is delivered, and customs clearance required, at the first airport of national entry rather than the destination airport. Doesn't this mean that the ZRH-GVA leg mixes int'l arriving passengers who have not cleared customs with domestic passengers who originate and terminate in Switzerland? In theory they could exchange items in flight?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:10 am

That is how it works in the Schengen area.

Not only originating and terminating in Switzerland. If I fly from another Schengen country, i.e. LUX-ZRH-GVA, I will pass customs in GVA, nothing in ZRH.

edit:
Schengen area and E.U. is not exactly the same.
For example, when I fly to Croatia (which is E.U. member, but not Schengen area), on a ticket Frankfurt-Zagreb-Split, I have immigration and customs in Zagreb.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Thanks. That seems quite unusual compared to entry at most other nations, where luggage is delivered, and customs clearance required, at the first airport of national entry rather than the destination airport. Doesn't this mean that the ZRH-GVA leg mixes int'l arriving passengers who have not cleared customs with domestic passengers who originate and terminate in Switzerland? In theory they could exchange items in flight?
I disagree with your notion of "most other nations".
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by duvin
I disagree with your notion of "most other nations".
Fine, perhaps we could settle on "many other" instead
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:35 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
I will be flying SIN-ZRH-GVA soon and am still struggling if I'm considered "safe" when landing in ZRH. If not and I have to pass security, I may as well use the shower at arrival lounge. thanks for your views...
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:59 am

SIN is not considered safe. Definitely use the arrival lounge (if your GVA flight connection allows enough time for it)
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:29 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
SIN is not considered safe. Definitely use the arrival lounge (if your GVA flight connection allows enough time for it)
thanks I will try (1h20).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.