Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Yes- feasible

FlyerGold

I flew LHR-ZRH-BCN with a 55 minutes connection in ZRH about one year ago with no problems at all. MCT at ZRH is 40 minutes. The flight I was on out of LHR was a late morning flight and passport control in ZRH took no more than 3 minutes (virtually no lineups). There was a little bit of walking between the arriving/departing gates but assuming that everything is on time, you'll be just fine (but probably with no time to visit the LX lounge in ZRH!)

I had no bags checked so can't comment on this, but when I had checked bags on LH/LX, they made even tighter connections than that one.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
a) Yes or else it could not be ticketed
b) Yes and Yes
c) Very likely
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Why is this question asked every week with creating a new thread?

is 50min enough to transfer at ZRH [the new 2/2012- ZRH connection thread]
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:45 am

Had a 50 min connection recently that went down to 36 min because of delay. Arrived at gate A85. Was enough time to go to the FCL, get a drink and the limo ride to my next flight.
I love ZRH for transfer.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I have purchased (through a TA) a ticket whereby I go to MAD from YOW (for a conference) in late Sept.

My European flight will originate from LHR and then connect on LX to MAD.

The questions are:

a) is this a legal connection time?
b) is this a connection time that can be actually met (realizing I am arriving from a nonSchentgen country and connecting in and travelling to a Schentgen country - by the way, is Switzerland still a signatory to the Schentgen treaty/agreement?
c) will the bags make the tight connection?
I am not sure what is meant in earlier posts by "clean" versus "not clean" exit from Heidi train - and how the answer to that question is relevant to my situation.

Will I need to go through security, post immigration?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Long story short:

My flight was late and LX rebooked me on SK. So, if you're going to Scandanavia, LX seems to have no problem, with a bit of pushing, putting you on a *A carrier.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
My flight was late and LX rebooked me on SK. So, if you're going to Scandanavia, LX seems to have no problem, with a bit of pushing, putting you on a *A carrier.
Can you tell us what "a bit of pushing" was in this case? IME people tend to have very different definitions of the concept.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mmff
Can you tell us what "a bit of pushing" was in this case? IME people tend to have very different definitions of the concept.
My flight from DXB was 2ish hours late and I was definitely going to connect.

The DXB transfer agent insisted I would be fine - which I didn't believe. So, after a few calls to ZRH, they finally came to to the conclusion that yes, I would misconnect and I was re-booked on SK.

My general rule with airline agents is: if you need to make a change know the flight numbers and schedule and be persistent but not rude. I'm sure many follow the same mantra.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

My wife and I might be flying on an award ticket on LX next month in business class from Shanghai, connecting in ZUR and then on to Paris. We'd be arriving ZUR 3:50 p.m. and deparing 4:50 p.m. Based on skimming this thread, it sound like we'll make the connection if our plane arrives on time. But still, I'd like to just check this with folks here. And is this what I understand to be a "clean" connection with less of a security hassle or should we expect one with more of a process to go through?

Also, on the off chance that our PVG-ZUR flight is delayed, am I correct in assuming that I should try to be proactive in PVG and get us rebooked on a later LX or (if LX is full in J) an AF flight to get to CDG?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:31 am

Upon arrival in ZRH you will have to go through security (don't buy any liquids at the duty free), then downstairs to take the Heidi train and arrive in terminal A, where you will find your connection to CDG.
1 hour is enough for this process, moreso since you'll be in J. If you will miss your flight, LX will rebook you (either on LX or something else, AF might be a stretch and a fight).
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Upon arrival in ZRH you will have to go through security (don't buy any liquids at the duty free), then downstairs to take the Heidi train and arrive in terminal A, where you will find your connection to CDG.
1 hour is enough for this process, moreso since you'll be in J. If you will miss your flight, LX will rebook you (either on LX or something else, AF might be a stretch and a fight).
Exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks very much!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:38 pm

Had a 50 min connection coming from YUL and heading to FRA. Connection time went down to 40 min due to slightly late arrival. No problem at all. Also the checked bags made it.
Bought some liquides at duty-free in YUL. No problem at all in ZRH at transfer security. (Liquids were in a sealed plastic bag)
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Flying MAN-ZRH-HKG later this year and did choose the "short" connection, i.e. 55 minutes to make that. I do see that the late MAN-ZRH flight is often burdened with delays, and that it usually arrives at the D-gates...can someone update me what the exact procedure is to get to my departure (which most likely is from an E-gate)? Will I need to go through security again (assumption: No, since GB is considered clean)? What about passport-control (probably not as it is NS to NS)?

Anybody has an idea what the minimum expected delay would be to try to get the LX-staff at MAN to rebook me on LH that departs almost simultaneously with the LX-flight, going either through FRA or MUC? As my stay in HKG is for one night only missing the flight in Zurich would make this a trip in vain, so I will need to make sure this does not happen.

Thanks for your information!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:22 am

If arriving D -> follow signs to E, take Heidi train to E, exit train, do security check (you'll be on the unclean side of the train) in Gate E, go to Gate (or lounge, if time allows)

If incoming flight is delayed for not more than 30min, you'll make it for sure, and you even get a good chance if the delay is even longer. ZRH will hold the long hauls if connecting pax are expected to make it, for up to 20min or so.. the night ban in ZRH isn't as serious as it's in FRA, they're allowed to depart up to 11.30pm regularely.

Therefore, your departing flight would have to be an expected delay of at least 1 hour (they can catch up a bit in the air) to have them consider you for a rebooking.. you might be lucky if the delay is smaller, but I wouldn't count on that.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I've never connected through EU it's always been my final or originating location but I am flying EWR-ZRH-IST with 2.25h in ZRH. I know my bags will go through to IST but will I have to do any CBP things there as a transit pax?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.