Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:07 am

Have a FCO-ZRH-YUL flight on swiss with a 1h25 layover in zrh.

I'm traveling with two elder parents that while not mobility impaired, wont be able to sprint through terminals.

Is that enough time?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:46 am

Plenty of time, however it's a bit of a walk. You might want to request assistance if your parents get tired easily.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
FLR-ZRH-TXL with 40 min in ZRH…enough time with no checked luggage? Fast walker. The other option is 2:20 and I don't know if I really want to spend that much time in the lounge when I want to get back to Berlin.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
FLR-ZRH-TXL with 40 min in ZRH…enough time with no checked luggage? Fast walker. The other option is 2:20 and I don't know if I really want to spend that much time in the lounge when I want to get back to Berlin.
ZRH-TXL offers many flights a day.

I would definitely book it. Unless you absolutely have to arrive in TXL on time. In which case it would be insane.. otherwise, you're fine.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:44 am

Transfer in Zurich on the way to USA

Hi,

I am looking for tickets USA--> Ljubljana... Dubrovnik -->USA.
I can get round trip from UNITED but on the way back to USA (from Dubrovnik) I'll have just 50 min to switch the planes. Is it enough time for this? (I'll be traveling with carry-on luggage).

I'll really appreciate any input .

Thank you.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by alexiranj
Hi,

I am looking for tickets USA--> Ljubljana... Dubrovnik -->USA.
I can get round trip from UNITED but on the way back to USA (from Dubrovnik) I'll have just 50 min to switch the planes. Is it enough time for this? (I'll be traveling with carry-on luggage).

I'll really appreciate any input .

Thank you.
Welcome to FT!
ZRH is very good airport for short connections.
50 mins is certainly doable (and has been done before) assuming your inbound aircraft is on-time.
Suggest you look at this existing thread on same topic
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...on-thread.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; May 15, 2014 at 11:14 am Reason: added "inbound"
Old May 15, 2014, 12:59 pm

Thanks a lot for the quick reply - I think I'll take my chance
Old May 15, 2014, 1:34 pm

There is always the potential that your inbound is more than an hour late. If there are other flights/connections to get to your destination you will be protected and worst case arrive a few hours later on the same day.If your flight is the last one to the US taht day not sure if you want to take the risk, even if normally 50 min is sufficient.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
Did a search but couldn't find the answer so I'm hoping for a bit of help. I'm flying yyz-zrh-doh. I'm changing carriers and I think I need to collect my luggage. I have about 3 hours if everything is on time which should be lots of time from what I read but what is the process? Do I land in the same terminal I depart? I'm sure I have to clear customs and then check back in, how difficult is this? This is probably not for this thread but what lounge does Qatar use?
Old May 20, 2014, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Binflyin
Did a search but couldn't find the answer so I'm hoping for a bit of help. I'm flying yyz-zrh-doh. I'm changing carriers and I think I need to collect my luggage. I have about 3 hours if everything is on time which should be lots of time from what I read but what is the process? Do I land in the same terminal I depart? I'm sure I have to clear customs and then check back in, how difficult is this? This is probably not for this thread but what lounge does Qatar use?
Easy..

I assume LX in, QR out.

Not sure if check-through of your baggage is possible, you can always try to ask in YYZ (if LX and QR interline, then it's possible, if not, then indeed you need to pick it up (before that enter Schengen area) and recheck at Qatar counter.

Yes, you'll need to pass customs in that case.

Your flight from YYZ and to DOH will both land and arrive at Terminal E, so you'll need to transfer to the main terminal (A) for immigration, baggage pickup, checkin, security check, immigration, then again transfer to Terminal E.

There is a OneWorld/BA lounge, recently opened in Terminal A (after security, before immigration to Non-Schengen area) which you might be able to use, not a QR expert. There is also a Lounge (Panorama) in Gate E which QR will most probably let their elite/premium pax in.

The BA lounge is, as much as I know, quite ok but not great, the Panorama is quite a dump food-wise, often crowded, and really nothing to write home about, offers great view on the tarmac though.

Oh, and regarding your time:

If your incoming flight is on time, you'll have plenty of time in ZRH.

However, if it's late more than around 1 hour 20 minutes, it might get REALLY tight. I don't know when QR checkin closes, but if I assume 1 hour before departure, and you'll have to wait for another 30 minutes on luggage in ZRH (often rather slow, and priority tags seldom work) then you will just make it.. for me personally, 3 hours with checked baggage would be a bit tight, probably would only do it if my ticket on QR is flex or I've a "Plan B"..
Old May 20, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
Thanks for the info YuropFlyer

I'm coming in on AC which is the same difference as LX as they are both Star Alliance. I don't think either have an interline with QR so I will in all probability have to pick up and transfer my bag.

I might try and do an online checkin and print boarding passes for QR before I leave home so all I will have to do is drop my bag and go back to terminal e.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Binflyin
Thanks for the info YuropFlyer

I'm coming in on AC which is the same difference as LX as they are both Star Alliance. I don't think either have an interline with QR so I will in all probability have to pick up and transfer my bag.

I might try and do an online checkin and print boarding passes for QR before I leave home so all I will have to do is drop my bag and go back to terminal e.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/eticket/

Non-Star Interline E-Ticket Partners

Qatar Airways (QR)

Air Canada does interline with QR, so you should be fine. They'll not be able to print your boarding pass to Doha, but they should be able to check through your baggage.

So all you would have to do in Terminal E in ZRH is going towards "Transfers", get a boarding pass for your QR flight, and go to the lounge there. However, as said, the BA lounge in Terminal A is better than the Panorama lounge, so if your flight is on time, you might still want to pass immigration and go there of your incoming flight is on time. But checking through your baggage definitely won't hurt..
Old May 23, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
There is always the potential that your inbound is more than an hour late. If there are other flights/connections to get to your destination you will be protected and worst case arrive a few hours later on the same day.If your flight is the last one to the US taht day not sure if you want to take the risk, even if normally 50 min is sufficient.
Today was one of the days where many inbound flights (mostly from Europe) came in up to one hour late. Does happen, but I haven't experienced that many times. Especially the late afternoon intra-european connections (departing) are commonly delayed about 15 minutes, so when on an intra-european connection, I wouldn't mind too much about missing connections.

However, I wouldn't risk a 50 minute longhaul connection.
Old May 27, 2014, 4:53 am

Hi I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.

I am due to fly from London Heathrow to Heraklion via Zurich with Swiss Air/Edweiss on 4th June and have a transfer time of 50 mins between flights (LX 319 and LX8348),

As the transfer time is incredibly short, please can you advise me if I need to go through passport control and a security check (I may have some liquids from LHR Duty Free) or is it simply a case of walking from one gate to the other and whether you think that 50 mins is sufficient time to do this?

I will have both checked and carry on luggage, however I assume that Swiss will check me in for the entire journey at LHR.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old May 27, 2014, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by missgrolsch
Hi I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.

I am due to fly from London Heathrow to Heraklion via Zurich with Swiss Air/Edweiss on 4th June and have a transfer time of 50 mins between flights (LX 319 and LX8348),

As the transfer time is incredibly short, please can you advise me if I need to go through passport control and a security check (I may have some liquids from LHR Duty Free) or is it simply a case of walking from one gate to the other and whether you think that 50 mins is sufficient time to do this?

I will have both checked and carry on luggage, however I assume that Swiss will check me in for the entire journey at LHR.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Luggage checked through.

50min is not "incredibly short" but totally doable.

No security control, but obviously passport control as Zürich-Heraklion is an intra-Schengen flight, and you arrive from outside of Schengen area.

You'll arrive (most probably) at the B/D gates (Non-Schengen), clear into Schengen there, then move to the A gates (either bus or proper gate) from there. Worst case around 15 minutes of walking (high B/D gate to high A gate)

Definitely no problem, unless your flight is delayed in LHR..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.