Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:54 pm

I've seen some information regarding Swiss airport transit visa, but it's not really clear.

I am considering getting flights through ZRH from Pakistan for my family, including my Mother-in-law, who is a Pakistani national with a US visit visa. Would she need a visa to transit at ZRH? I don't see any clear information on the website of the Swiss Embassy in Islamabad.

I am also considering flights connecting in Germany, and their website clearly states that a visa for travel to the US is sufficient and she doesn't need a transit visa.

EDIT:
After a little more searching, I found this pdf. It seems to state that the requirements are the same as Germany's... but I wouldn't mind if someone with more experience gave it a quick read and see if they agree with me.

Last edited by aarif1; Mar 10, 2014 at 1:10 pm Reason: Possibly found my own answer
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:35 pm

aarif1: There is no flight from Swiss to Pakistan. Assuming your parents would start somewhere nearby (say, DXB) with Swiss, and fly DXB-ZRH-NYC (for example), there is no problem.

What they CAN'T do is taking any flight intra-Schengen (European "domestic" area), so they can't fly DXB-ZRH-GVA-NYC, or DXB-ZRH-FRA-NYC or the like..
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
aarif1: There is no flight from Swiss to Pakistan. Assuming your parents would start somewhere nearby (say, DXB) with Swiss, and fly DXB-ZRH-NYC (for example), there is no problem.

What they CAN'T do is taking any flight intra-Schengen (European "domestic" area), so they can't fly DXB-ZRH-GVA-NYC, or DXB-ZRH-FRA-NYC or the like..
Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, they would be transiting first either in the middle east (DOH on QR) or in Turkey (IST on TK) on the way to Europe before continuing to the US.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:35 am

hallo @ all,
I am having a flight connection with Swiss : FRA-ZRH-LHR with 40 minutes transfer time. I think, this means arriving at Terminal A and have to get to Terminal D, is that correct? Do I have to go through any passport control and security? Do I have to go to these transfer desks? Do you think this tight schedule will work for both me and my luggage? If not, any experience with being booked to another connecting flight to LHR...on the same day hopefully? Thank you so much for your replies, these will be highly appreciated!
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:19 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveller0305
hallo @ all,
I am having a flight connection with Swiss : FRA-ZRH-LHR with 40 minutes transfer time. I think, this means arriving at Terminal A and have to get to Terminal D, is that correct? Do I have to go through any passport control and security? Do I have to go to these transfer desks? Do you think this tight schedule will work for both me and my luggage? If not, any experience with being booked to another connecting flight to LHR...on the same day hopefully? Thank you so much for your replies, these will be highly appreciated!
A and D are not separate terminals but two ends of the same terminal building. You will have to go through passport control but no security. No need to go to the transfer desk, just follow the signs for your departure gate.

Luggage sometimes takes longer than passengers to transfer but hopefully both you and your luggage will make the LHR flight provided the incoming flight from FRA is not late. Should you miss your connection they will put you on the next available flight to LHR provided you are on one ticket.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:12 am

Thank you very much. Yes, it's all on one ticket. Fingers crossed then
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:01 am

hallo @ all,
I am having a flight connection with Swiss : FRA-ZRH-LHR with 40 minutes transfer time.
Can I ask you what made you book this route instead of a direct flight? I can't imagine it being massively cheaper.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Can I ask you what made you book this route instead of a direct flight? I can't imagine it being massively cheaper.
I would never book such a route, it was the only alternative Lufthansa could offer me as precautional measure with regard to the potential pilots' strike action. I really need to be in London for few matters this week so I could not wait and see if the strike is called off tomorrow. So I had to rearrange my direct flight to make sure. Pretty sure, the strike is called off and I will face a lost connection in ZRH and lost luggage instead
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:49 am

Pretty sure, the strike is called off and I will face a lost connection in ZRH and lost luggage instead
Haha that explains it! Well that's a good attitude, good luck!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:30 am

Thanks. Well, strike is taking place. My original flight got cancelled indeed. Still, there is the chance of missing the connection flight and/or luggage
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:28 pm

I hope it's okay to ask here

I have a YUL-ZRH-MXP (Milan) flight, with 3.5 hours layover originally
Now, I wonder if 1 hour is enough time to go for earlier flight standby...
not sure where arrival is (Terminal A?) and ZRH-MXP is

2 adults, 2 kids
Canadian passport entering Schengen area = passport control
2 carry-on only, no checked luggage

AC6820/LX87 16:55 YUL-ZRH Arr:06:15

Layover: 03h 25min

AC6846/LX1616 09:40 ZRH-MXP Arr:10:35 <-- standby for earlier LX1612 7:20-8:15?
Not a big deal if we can't, as we can try to enjoy the lounge, but it may be nice to get into Italy earlier and enjoy Milan
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Platnium, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I hope it's okay to ask here

I have a YUL-ZRH-MXP (Milan) flight, with 3.5 hours layover originally
Now, I wonder if 1 hour is enough time to go for earlier flight standby...
not sure where arrival is (Terminal A?) and ZRH-MXP is

2 adults, 2 kids
Canadian passport entering Schengen area = passport control
2 carry-on only, no checked luggage

Not a big deal if we can't, as we can try to enjoy the lounge, but it may be nice to get into Italy earlier and enjoy Milan
Assuming you land on time I think you would have no problem making your connection. I've made a 35 min connection from IST-ZRH-BOS but it was late afternoon w/o tons of US arrivals. I don't know the situation in ZRH in the morning.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:49 am

Swiss usually don't do standby's on earlier flights .. I've had a few situations like you and I've asked to fly one flight earlier, always been refused. As SEN.

Funny thing was, once the flight I asked to be put on went out half-empty, and my flight was overbooked, so I scored an upgrade.. don't ask Swiss to be anyhow logical on this
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Swiss usually don't do standby's on earlier flights .. I've had a few situations like you and I've asked to fly one flight earlier, always been refused. As SEN.

Funny thing was, once the flight I asked to be put on went out half-empty, and my flight was overbooked, so I scored an upgrade.. don't ask Swiss to be anyhow logical on this
Thanks for sharing, interesting info

You'd think, if they know the earlier flight is empty/half-empty (enough to accommodate 3.5 people), they'd rather fill that up instead

I shall give it a try, at a relaxing pace, and will update back here
Worst case I'll eat breakfast in the lounge
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by jerryhung
You'd think, if they know the earlier flight is empty/half-empty (enough to accommodate 3.5 people), they'd rather fill that up instead
The philosophy is that if you want flexibility than you should pay for it. They anyway have a hard time time with the cheapo fare crowd (like myself)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.