Search

Weird seats on LX 2026 ZRH-MAD 3/15 A320

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,
Weird seats on LX 2026 ZRH-MAD 3/15 A320

Hi FT!

I was on LX 2026 today (an airbus 320). It had an aborted takeoff and Swiss was very nice to rebook my flight including a destination change.

The plane looked like any other Swiss plane except the seats. They were old, had headphone jacks, and because the armrests were bigger the width was smaller. They also had cushioning on the seat back. It was an exotic luxury. does anyone know what I was on and why?

Thanks,

Bege
Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
At what stage was the take off aborted?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

not exactly sure how to answer. we were going something like 180 kph (on the ground) and then they put on the brakes. We never left the runway.

Fire came to make sure our brakes were not too hot, they had to download the cockpit voice recorder so the plane sans me finally left around 1500 I was told. Probably still with weird seats..
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
You were on one of 3 A320 which were originally ordered by Crossair to operate their charter flights. By the time they were delivered Crossair had become Swiss and these 3 aircraft flew charter routes under the "SWISS SUN" brand. They had on-board entertainment, including outside cameras, audio etc. Details >

Eventually, the SWISS SUN fleet was integrated into the regular LX fleet and these 3 birds joined the "old SR" planes. The seats will at some point be replaced with the standard LX product.

Glad to hear the aborted take-off went well. And you now know why it's best to have your seat belt fastened and feet flat on the floor for take-off.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:05 am

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat
Concerning the aborted take-off: You probably were on one of these planes...

Article (german only):

Zwei Flugzeuge beim Start fast zusammengestossen
Schwerwiegender Zwischenfall am Flughafen Zürich

Zwei Flugzeuge haben am Mittag auf den Pisten 16 und 28 des Flughafen Zürichs gleichzeitig zum Start angesetzt. Wenig später wären sie zusammengestossen, hätte die Skyguide die fatale Situation nicht doch noch rechtzeitig bemerkt. Das Büro für Flugunfalluntersuchungen muss nun klären, wie es zu dem Zwischenfall kam.
(sda) Am Flughafen Zürich ist es am Dienstag zu einem gefährlichen Zwischenfall gekommen: Zwei Flugzeuge setzten auf sich kreuzenden Pisten zum Abflug an - bis die Skyguide den einen Piloten zum sofortigen Abbruch aufforderte und so einen Zusammenstoss verhinderte.

Der Vorfall passierte um 12 Uhr 40 auf den Pisten 16 und 28, wo zwei Maschinen zum Abflug ansetzten und so direkt aufeinander zusteuerten. Eine Sprecherin der Flugsicherung Skyguide bestätigte eine entsprechende Meldung von «tagesanzeiger.ch/newsnetz».

Der Fluglotse habe dem Piloten auf der Piste 28 den Befehl zum sofortigen Startabbruch gegeben. Die andere Maschine auf Piste 16 hob derweil ab. Derzeit sei noch völlig unklar, wie es zu diesem Zwischenfall habe kommen können.

Bund untersucht den Vorfall
Die Skyguide hat den Vorfall bereits dem Büro für Flugunfalluntersuchungen (BFU) gemeldet, das nun die Funk- und Radardaten sowie die Angaben des Cockpits analysieren wird. Bis ein Bericht über die Ursache für den Zwischenfall vorliegt, dürfte es erfahrungsgemäss aber mehrere Monate oder gar Jahre dauern.

Die Maschine, welche ihren planmässigen Abflug so abrupt hatte stoppen müssen, konnte am Nachmittag ohne weitere Probleme starten.
Source
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by tomashi
Concerning the aborted take-off: You probably were on one of these planes...

Article (german only):

Source
Heres another link from the AV Herald

http://avherald.com/h?article=4396c039&opt=0
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:10 am
Original Poster

The Captain basically described this same situation, that his and another aircraft were going to meet. He said that the decision to abort was his and his co-pilots. This differs slightly from the aviation herald report that "skyguide". Perhaps I misunderstood.

When the brakes were hit I assumed this was something boring like a fuel door light being on, etc. Even when the captain explained I assumed this was more the "legally close" and not "really close"
For a guy who gets nervous when there is turbulence it puts my risk assessment up for review.

I guess it's an understatement to say big thanks to the Captain and crew for stopping in time.

The Flight attendants were very nice after the event. Helped passengers (including myself) who needed rebookings etc. Today Swiss "Core Customer Service" gave me a call.

Eeh, I think I'll grab a drink.

Bege

PS thanks airoli for seat explanation! And tomashi + Circumknowitall for info on the incident!

Last edited by begemot; Mar 16, 2011 at 7:19 am
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:08 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
Heres another link from the AV Herald

http://avherald.com/h?article=4396c039&opt=0
Scaring, but not surprising, there is something very wrong with Skyguide. They should have been dismantled after the Ueberlingen accident where they have been proven guilty. Sadly there was even a murderered ATC controller at the end.

In the above case we should however wait for the detailed report.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:10 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
begemot in the sunday press

http://www.sonntagszeitung.ch/wirtsc...?newsid=170528

Good that everything went well, and that the emergency systems worked as they have to.

I just ask whether our missed approach a few weeks ago (we were about 20ft over rwy 16 when the go around was initiated - a scary situation too) was also as close to a collision. The pilot just told us that he was advised to abord the landing...
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the link rorshci! If i become a celebrity I'll invite Natalie Portman over for dinner(if my wife agrees....)

Originally Posted by rorschi
The pilot just told us that he was advised to abord the landing...

Glad you guys are safe! Looks like Skyguide does receive attention for performance. I wonder how they compare to other companies?

bege
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by begemot
Thanks for the link rorshci! If i become a celebrity I'll invite Natalie Portman over for dinner
Don't forget your old pals from Flyertalk...
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Must have been a slow news day in ZRH... TCAS and RIMCAS are there to assist in such situations... if everyone would go gaga over each such incidents, the papers would be full of it
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli
Don't forget your old pals from Flyertalk...
Airoli you are on the guest list

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Must have been a slow news day in ZRH... TCAS and RIMCAS are there to assist in such situations... if everyone would go gaga over each such incidents, the papers would be full of it
Oliver2002, Natalie says I have to invite you too...

Bege
Old May 10, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: M&M Sen, SPG Gold
Does anyone know by when these old seats ought to be replaced?

I was on one of those ex-Swiss Sun birds (HB-IJW) on a flight from LIS to ZRH. I found these seats a disgrace! Was it only my impression or does Swiss indeed use the same seat pitch as with all the other A320 with the new seats? Given that the old seats are thicker and the seat pockets are at their traditional spot the "experienced" seat pitch is Being 6'1'' the flight was not particularly pleasant and reminded me to go back to my old habits of always insisting on being seated at an emergency exit. I don't want to image sitting in any of these 3 planes (particularly if it is as packed as it was on this flight) on one of my usual biz trips to LHR in full biz attire! Swiss cannot seriously consider keeping these birds in their current configuration as the the experience is that far off from their usual seats!? Anybody any insights? Would be curious.

Originally Posted by airoli
You were on one of 3 A320 which were originally ordered by Crossair to operate their charter flights. By the time they were delivered Crossair had become Swiss and these 3 aircraft flew charter routes under the "SWISS SUN" brand. They had on-board entertainment, including outside cameras, audio etc. Details >

Eventually, the SWISS SUN fleet was integrated into the regular LX fleet and these 3 birds joined the "old SR" planes. The seats will at some point be replaced with the standard LX product.

Glad to hear the aborted take-off went well. And you now know why it's best to have your seat belt fastened and feet flat on the floor for take-off.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by chrisflyer
Swiss cannot seriously consider keeping these birds in their current configuration as the the experience is that far off from their usual seats!?
They've been keeping those 320s with those seats for a few years now! I dread it when I see HB-IJW or HB-IJV as I approach the gate. The only decent seats on these birds are the exit rows...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.